House Price Crash Forum

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/03/owning-trailer-parks-mobile-home-university-investment

The number one rule is stated twice, once in the classroom and once on the bus: “Don’t make fun of the residents.” Welcome to Mobile Home University, a three-day, $2,000 “boot camp” that teaches people from across the US how to make a fortune by buying up trailer parks.

Trailer parks are big and profitable business – particularly after hundreds of thousands of Americans who lost their homes in the financial crisis created a huge demand for affordable housing. According to US Census figures, more than 20 million people, or 6% of the population, live in trailer parks.

It is a market that has not been lost on some of the country’s richest and most high-profile investors. Sam Zell’s Equity LifeStyle Properties (ELS) is the largest mobile home park owner in America, with controlling interests in nearly 140,000 parks. In 2014, ELS made $777m in revenue, helping boost Zell’s near-$5bn fortune.

Warren Buffett, the nation’s second-richest man with a $72bn fortune, owns the biggest mobile home manufacturer in the US, Clayton Homes, and the two biggest mobile home lenders, 21st Mortgage Corporation and Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance Company. Buffett’s trailer park investments will feature heavily at his annual meeting this weekend, which will be attended by more than 40,000 shareholders in Omaha.

Such success is prompting ordinary people with little or no experience to try to follow in their footsteps.

Yeah Trailer Park BTL, I wonder how long trailer parks will remain affordable for now the investors are moving in for ever higher guaranteed returns?

Still I'm sure nothing will or can go wrong.

is there some way I can get off this planet, at least for a bit then come back later when everyone has decided not to be mental?

That is looking like the only way this land bubble will end! You would have thought the yanks, with a 50% crash, would be a bit more cautious when it came to land speculation but no, just a correction in an otherwise continuous wave of HPI! Land over the long term always goes up. They're not making any more of it you know. :rolleyes:

Book me on the first ship out of here! When is Mars One leaving! :P

Trailer parks around here touted for £180k starting price. And I'm not talking about high end stuff overlooking the silent, but your bog standard park home.

Mental.

Edited by hans kammler