House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

Well That Sucked...

Just spent all night in hospital with what was thought to be a stroke (I'm only 36!). Turned out it was actually a pretty rare and particularly nasty type of migraine with all the same symptoms.

However... If this is the NHS in crisis under the rule of the nasty Tories I'd love to see it when it wasn't in crisis. 30 minutes in A&E, CAT scan within an hour, on a ward within 90 minutes, well looked after overnight on a spotlessly clean ward, MRI first thing this morning and discharged after a fairly tasty lunch of soup followed by rice pudding.

Absolutely top notch service I'm the face of some pretty scary circumstances.

Just spent all night in hospital with what was thought to be a stroke (I'm only 36!). Turned out it was actually a pretty rare and particularly nasty type of migraine with all the same symptoms.

However... If this is the NHS in crisis under the rule of the nasty Tories I'd love to see it when it wasn't in crisis. 30 minutes in A&E, CAT scan within an hour, on a ward within 90 minutes, well looked after overnight on a spotlessly clean ward, MRI first thing this morning and discharged after a fairly tasty lunch of soup followed by rice pudding.

Hmmm. Sounds like there's scope for some swingeing cuts then.

Think its dependent on where you are. My local GP is always very prompt...mostly populated by old folk.

These inner city hospitals look like refugee camps on the other hand. I suspect thats where the problems are.

I'm so pleased it wasn't a stroke. Just FYI, migraines can be a precursor symptom of stroke. My own stroke was preceded by three days of the visual disturbances of migraine on one eye only, without the headache. By the time I got in to see my GP, the stroke had happened. So please, everyone, pay attention to migraine and/or visual disturbance.

Stroke can happen at any age. I once met a woman whose son had a stroke - at 9 months old.

Be careful out there... :mellow:

Yes. My stroke was proceeded by .....nothing.....I had a kind of drunk feeling.

There are as many different strokes as there are people suffering strokes!

Indeed people usually wait until 60 before having one, I really feel for teenagers....

Glad you had good care.

Glad you are OK. Lucky you weren't in Wales.

Indeed. One of my neighbours travels to Manchester (from North Wales) for cancer treatment.

OP - there is a genuine postcode lottery re: healthcare, even emergency health care, out there. East London was by far the worse in my experience. Impossible to actually register for a GP - and I once spent 8 hours waiting in A&E after being badly beaten up. In fairness, I was triaged very quickly - but understandably two people coming in with gun shot wounds took precedence.

For certain things eg possible stroke or heart attack - you will get seen and dealt with extremely quickly as the NHS knows time counts and they are well set up to treat those kind of incidents. Mysterious symptoms which could be a number of things? You'd better hope you live long enough to get diagnosed. I speak from personal experience here. I was once a week or two away from death - having spent two years going to the quack to try and get a diagnosis/treatment.

my mum had 6 tia`s and one stroke in 2007 , she`s still around to tell the tail although on bp tablets and statins

the hospital told her you should have abused your body with alcohol , as it would of made it stronger .

in that case i intend on being around a long long time :P might even be able to get a mortgage after 40

glad your ok OP

Yeah you know when you see sparkly flashy lights that aren't actually there.

I've had geometric type shapes flashing in my vision, then the vision goes in my left eye, then the fun really starts.

Touchwood I think I've narrowed down the causes to either too much dried fruit, nuts and/or bananas.

Whatever, I eat them rarely now and it's been over a year since the last one although I still get the 'shapes' sometimes. I can live with that, the headache I can't.

Glad you are OK. Lucky you weren't in Wales.

Aye, it's all saws, whisky, and leeches down there!

As I walked out upon the stair,

I saw a man who wasn't there.

He wasn't there again today

I do so wish he'd go away!

(Can't be arsed to google, so probably a misquote).

I had a suspected mini-stroke just over a month ago. NHS sprang into action really promptly. Hospital was a horrendously-inefficient Kafkaesque machine, no doubt designed to cause lots more stress and bring on a serious cardiac event. But a huge contrast to 2007, when I had a somewhat-similar event and they brushed me off (couldn't even get to see my GP).

I had these the day before, I've had them before followed by a headache but this time it was obviously the precursor to this. Never had anything so scary. Couldn't speak, couldn't swallow, numbness down my left, with all the co-ordination gone in my left hand, walked like a drunk. It's hard to believe it was 'just' a migraine. Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Yes it sounds like a mini stroke to me (as usual take no notice of anything you hear on the inerwave)

I had left side, couldn't speak and memory loss, My stroke was called `severe ` at the time.

Sounds like we`re even!

I haven't worked since (2 years ago), just cruising` towards retirement.

I've had geometric type shapes flashing in my vision, then the vision goes in my left eye, then the fun really starts.

Touchwood I think I've narrowed down the causes to either too much dried fruit, nuts and/or bananas.

Whatever, I eat them rarely now and it's been over a year since the last one although I still get the 'shapes' sometimes. I can live with that, the headache I can't.

Yep, I had my first migraine after eating some dried figs (used to be OK with them). Probably sensitive to something coating them. Never eaten them since. Fresh ones OK.

The other big one was after eating some soup in one of Jamie's restaurants. Never done that again either!

I had a similar experience 12 years ago.

Lunch time on a Friday in central Bristol.

Lost the ability to talk and stand.

Taken in the Bristol Royal Infirmary by Ambulance.

On trolley for two hours,

A&E was full of drunks and druggies, one had been covered in petrol and set alight, he discharged himself after giving lots of abuse. How the staff put up with the scum then have to deal with I don't know. I was kept in A&E until midnight after being told I had suffered a stroke waiting for a bed, then I was discharged as there was still no bed.

Glad to hear that NHS has improved since then.

Yep, I had my first migraine after eating some dried figs (used to be OK with them). Probably sensitive to something coating them. Never eaten them since. Fresh ones OK.

The other big one was after eating some soup in one of Jamie's restaurants. Never done that again either!

I'd eaten figs too. Interestingly (Or not) the name means 'mad fruit' in Arabic, and they cause an increase in serotonin, which is now known to not be the wonderful 'happy hormone', and excessive amounts can cause migraines.

flashing etc might be just eye stuff, i had iritis(uveitis) and conjunctivitus a few years back (in right eye only), conjunctivitus nothing really, but iritis can lead to blindness if not treated, hospital was ok, regular appointments, treatment took ok, in fact the steroid to solve it seemed to improve my vision in my formerly best right eye, once off it though it degraded to worse than my pre-disease worse left eye.

Anyway, the flaring(sparkles), false images, blurring etc sounds like what your sparkles might be.

No headaches though, even with cycloplenate keeping the iris fully dilated for a week, thats bad with too much light getting in all the time and no chance to focus.

You went in under a blue flashing light - the hellish, jobworths do not get in the way of a blue light.

You analysis was performed by machines rather than some slack, donot care nurse/doctor/consultant. And machines do not play goldf at the weekend.

Your experience would be a lot different if you had to work your way into hospital via aGP, involving sending paper between the GP and the hospital, thne having to deal with the many layers of admin at the hospital and then have to depend on a human o diagnose and analyse your condition.