House Price Crash Forum

Peeping Tom

HOLA441

A rather unpleasant series of events.

My ex lives quite near me, and my daughter lives with them. My ex and her partner went away on holiday, leaving my daughter alone in the house for the week.

On returning, they found that someone had set up a motion-activated camera in their garden pointing at their bedroom window.

Unfortunately, they took it down and took out the SD card, possibly destroying evidence (fingerprints/DNA). But the culprit unintentionally filmed himself setting up the camera! The police now have the video.

Personally, I'd set up my own camera to catch the culprit returning. And have a baseball bat handy to educate them about privacy.

Their house is in a quiet side-road so I think the culprit must live very close to them.

What p***es me off is that my daughter now wants to move away from the town.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

A rather unpleasant series of events.

My ex lives quite near me, and my daughter lives with them. My ex and her partner went away on holiday, leaving my daughter alone in the house for the week.

On returning, they found that someone had set up a motion-activated camera in their garden pointing at their bedroom window.

Unfortunately, they took it down and took out the SD card, possibly destroying evidence (fingerprints/DNA). But the culprit unintentionally filmed himself setting up the camera! The police now have the video.

Personally, I'd set up my own camera to catch the culprit returning. And have a baseball bat handy to educate them about privacy.

Their house is in a quiet side-road so I think the culprit must live very close to them.

What p***es me off is that my daughter now wants to move away from the town.

What's wrong with a cricket bat? I shall wear a straw boater, and bright blazer, and beat your pervert to death, provided I am convinced it is not my camera!

HOLA446

What's wrong with a cricket bat? I shall wear a straw boater, and bright blazer, and beat your pervert to death, provided I am convinced it is not my camera!

Baseball bats are as effective as cricket racquets for hitting people; and are far more easy to insert.

HOLA447

Baseball bats are as effective as cricket racquets for hitting people; and are far more easy to insert.

I see your point! Keep awake at the back!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Never take this sort of thing too lightly. Peeping toms can graduate to more serious offences.

Like Bishops?

HOLA4411

Maybe they were out to film the local wildlife, jackdaws have been known to nest in chimney pots, are you sure about the angle?........should set a trap, and see if you get what we did once and caught the local knicker snatcher red handed....turned out to be only a sad lonely old man, nothing to fear. ;)

HOLA4412

Or possibly have already committed more serious offences. I do hope you can help your daughter feel safe again.

Thanks.

She is an adult, but she as always disliked being alone in a house. My reassurances are now forever wasted.

As I say the Police have the video of the culprit's face, and he probably lives nearby. I expect Inspector Knacker will be going into action any minute. Or maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

HOLA4413

Maybe they were out to film the local wildlife, jackdaws have been known to nest in chimney pots, are you sure about the angle?........should set a trap, and see if you get what we did once and caught the local knicker snatcher red handed....turned out to be only a sad lonely old man, nothing to fear. ;)

Did you have to bait your trap with fresh knickers?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Did you have to bait your trap with fresh knickers?

Once or twice.....but once identified the problem was resolved, all future washing was then safe and accounted for......I do hope you catch your cameraman, check with other neighbours, might be worth them checking their gardens, these people are often sad opportunists with a problem......collectively between you should get your man.

HOLA4416

Sorrry to hear about this.

How old is your daughter out of interest? Is she a teenager or is she a younger child?

You need to get some feedback from the boys in blue about who this character is - whether he is someone who likes looking at teenage girls or whether there is something even more sinister.

Regarding your daughter you need too sit down with her and basically reassure her that this, whilst nasty and worrying, is the exception in society and not the norm. Point out that you have to be vigiliant in life and give her some advice on protecting herself. Learning to differentiate the good people from the bad. You need to think how to do this as, well, if you get it wrong it could have a negative impact on her life for years to come.

Hope everything turns out OK.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I do hope you took a copy of that SD card? You might be very disappointed by the actions of the police.

Indeed. Assume little will be done, and proceed accordingly. You might even need to consider a private prosecution if CPS do nothing.

HOLA4421

To clarify; this was at the home of my ex-wife and her latest partner. I do not have access to the SD card. My daughter is in her 20's.

What my ex does with the card/ police is her own business. My sole concern is the effect this may have on my daughter.

AFAIK the hidden camera did not succesfully record anything intimate, so I am wondering what crimes may actually have been committed.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Is there a a potential candidate from school or work whose interest/crush could tip over into obsessive? I think I'd be a bit less worried in those circumstances.

It certainly does seem very worrying though still but it's hard gauge, these days, with the proliferation of dashcams, phones and all sorts of other cheap readily available filming solutions just how aberrant the police will view the behaviour as.

HOLA4424

So who's seen the video?

Was the person disguised?

Maybe it's the step dad making sure there wasnt a party planned during their absence?

According to my daughter, the image is clear and not of anyone they recognise.

They live in a quiet part of town off the main road, so I think whoever it is comes from nearby; and the lengths he went to to install the camera suggest that he knew when they would be out, which bedroom they used, and planned the installation carefully

HOLA4425

According to my daughter, the image is clear and not of anyone they recognise.

They live in a quiet part of town off the main road, so I think whoever it is comes from nearby; and the lengths he went to to install the camera suggest that he knew when they would be out, which bedroom they used, and planned the installation carefully

Then how was it discovered so quickly?

Archived