House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattW

Poor Urban Planning?

Car crashes into the front of a house. Female driver is arrested under suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/car_smashes_into_front_door_of_norwich_home_1_4058204

This estate was built around 12 years ago and the brick weave road is only a few feet away from the front of the house. Aside from the fact that the daft driver was drunk to some degree, I can't help but think that house builders should ensure that there are adequate frontages in front the homes. In this situation the car would have ended up crashing into the front garden anda greater chance that the house would be saved from an expensive repair bill.

I know developers are under pressure to maximise profits by shoehorning as many homes onto a finite plot of land. I recently moved into a 2006 built flat. I despair at the more grandiose detached 3/4/5 bedroomed houses nearby (that must have costed around £200k to buy) with only 6 foot deep bit of turf and pathway between the doorway and the pavement!

My parents live on a 1950s-60s housing estate and it was must better planned back then. Urban planning seem to have taken a big step backwards.

We had one a few years back... House with a gable end facing quite a tight bend. Planning permission was supposedly dependent on an adequate barrier being a erected between the road and the house, but it was never done. Then early one morning 4am, a driver fell asleep at the wheel went straight on at the bend and plugged straight through the house.

The barrier was then erected.

A motorcycle and sidecar arrived through my back door once!

If you know what time you have to be home for tea, you should factor in an extra couple of minutes to park the bike! Some people are just so lazy!

A motorcycle and sidecar arrived through my back door once!

Arent they planned to make cars slow down or something?

My opinion on that is build speed bumps, dont take the drivers view away basically but for a few yards in front.

So many of these new estates, with houses virtually abutting the carriageway, as it seems in the above photo, no road markings to show right of way, and insufficient off road parking means cars on the street create additional visual impediments. Even driving barely at 5 mph I've had near misses on such estates.

I like going over speed bumps. I can go really slowly and burp out more soot!

A town that is planned has a very East European feel to it, and people with enough money will choose to live in an older place, that just "evolved".

Compared with the Netherlands, I've previously described the UK as looking like "everything dropped from the sky and was left where it fell".

The meaning of words change over time (definitions from Google).
planning (noun)
"The control of urban development by a local government authority, from which a licence must be obtained to build a new property or change an existing one."
Has more in common with:
family planning (noun)
"The practice of controlling the number of children one has and the intervals between their births, particularly by means of contraception or voluntary sterilization."
Something more up to date might be:
planning (noun)
"Prevention of building, or forcing new buildings to be smaller or of lower quality.

Compared with the Netherlands, I've previously described the UK as looking like "everything dropped from the sky and was left where it fell".

Do you really expect them to move buildings around after they've landed?

One for the records that sold by the bucket load thread? "What's she gonna look like with a chimney on her?"

Poor urban planning? Depends on whether you prefer your urban fabric to be designed around high speed cars (and drunk drivers in the case you link to) or around people. For comparitive streetscenes, google images using the terms "village street" and "armco". Sure, the latter will accomodate high speed crashes with less damage to buildings. The former, however, is somewhere you'd actually want to live.

Poor urban planning? Depends on whether you prefer your urban fabric to be designed around high speed cars (and drunk drivers in the case you link to) or around people. For comparitive streetscenes, google images using the terms "village street" and "armco". Sure, the latter will accomodate high speed crashes with less damage to buildings. The former, however, is somewhere you'd actually want to live.

Take the examples I gave. That road is the main road between Oldham and Manchester. What do you suggest for that?

I've lived on a new build estate where everyone had to shuttle their cars around the night before the bin men came to make sure they could get in.

I often wondered what would happen if there was no prior warning of an HGV coming through (like a fire for instance). I came to the conclusion that they'd just have to plow through everyone's cars to get in, or just let the whole estate burn.

I've lived on a new build estate where everyone had to shuttle their cars around the night before the bin men came to make sure they could get in.

I often wondered what would happen if there was no prior warning of an HGV coming through (like a fire for instance). I came to the conclusion that they'd just have to plow through everyone's cars to get in, or just let the whole estate burn.

They used to just all get out and roll the cars on their sides but, I suspect, bad back claims and wimmin diversity firefighters will have put a stop to it.

I tried to exploit my access to lorries, travelling all over the country, to collect my various late night drunken ebay purchases but the access restrictions for artics in residential areas forced me to conclude it was a bad idea, after a few attempts - probably for the best as had no real need for a 'parts or not working' pinball machine or whatever pointless sh1t it was I thought I couldn't live without at the time.

One for the records that sold by the bucket load thread? "What's she gonna look like with a chimney on her?"

Good one. I'd forgotten all about that.

It's just that, as you walk or drive around in the built-up areas of this country, you find yourself thinking "That doesn't really fit there, does it." or "Who the bloody hell designed this".

Watford is perhaps a case in point. IIRC it has a ring road that surrounds the town centre which gets chronically congested and the town centre can't grow outwards, so it grows upwards and resembles a dystopian sort of Gotham City.

Over here, we have some new-fangled colonial invention called a 'garage', where people park their cars off the street. It's quite clever, really, and you have to wonder why British developers never thought of it.

Over here, we have some new-fangled colonial invention called a 'garage', where people park their cars off the street. It's quite clever, really, and you have to wonder why British developers never thought of it.

You could get two flats in that space.

You can't fit a car into a new build garage.

They have built them too small.

I have a garage with the flat I'm currently renting (built 2006). I park my ropey 11 year old Nissan in there. A lot of the neighbours seem to prefer to park their nicer, more expensive cars on the kerbside.

A couple of months ago I was at my Nissan dealership to get a couple of issues addressed. As I waited for the car to be sorted, only the 2 smallest cars they sell look as if they would fit in the garage (Micra & Note). The larger 'tonka toy' models they sell look like they won't fit! :rolleyes:

It's just that, as you walk or drive around in the built-up areas of this country, you find yourself thinking "That doesn't really fit there, does it." or "Who the bloody hell designed this".

That's what I think about just about every bloody thing built in the last century or so. Add in the sheer volume of crap and quite frankly I don't understand why everyone else isn't as depressed as me (the explanations I come up with are generally insulting to large proportions of the population).

YES they too small!

The garages are too small - or the cars are too big?

The garages are too small - or the cars are too big?

I'm sure you realise mine are!