House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Taking Up A Musical Instrument Again After Many Years

Just wondering whether anyone else has. I picked up the piano again two and a half years ago after passing only grade 2 about a million years ago.

Anyone else?

Well done; always lovely to be able to play an insturment.

I took up piano again [on a Yamaha keyboard] for post-stroke rehabilitation - i haven't kept it up, though.

Just wondering whether anyone else has. I picked up the piano again two and a half years ago after passing only grade 2 about a million years ago.

Anyone else?

I have been having a hankering to learn to play the piano for several years. I simply do not have the time. I am also pretty cr*p musically.

I have considered one of those computer programs that teaches you through a keyboard on your screen or attached to your computer - I have no idea how good or rubbish such programs are?

Yes.. when we moved in two years ago the previous owner left an upright piano behind.

I've been badly bashing out Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag for a good month or two now.

The problem is finding the time.. between real work, house work and a 3 month old I probably only play once a week these days.. and then I usually only get back to where I was before :(

I was invited to a concert in Bristol, where I got a free pass for the dubious connection, of knowing a lady whose friend had a musical husband, who was in the band, and had written some moderately famous pop songs in the 80s. The two guitarists had Fender Telecasters, so I immediately went to the music shop and bought one. I hadn't touched a guitar for some time, but it was easy to find learning stuff on the internet.

Some time later, I went to the music shop to buy some new guitar strings, and came back with a Yamaha keyboard. I'm not greatly talented at it, but I can now bang out a few chords. I never learned it as a child, which was a pity, as my non-imaginary uncle was quite a pianist (at least I thought that was what my mum said).

Some twits here were talking about ukuleles, so I bought one last year. I now know a tune or two.

My father plays piano and tried to teach all of us to play but none of us kept it up. I regret it now.

My son started playing piano 18 months ago when he went to high school. Within a few weeks of starting my father bought him a Casio Celviano and he practises constantly. He recently passed grade 2 and his teacher has put him onto grade 4 now. He just seems to have a natural ability. He took up violin at 7 and his then music teacher used to comment on how good he was.

I tell everyone he gets it from me. That's as close as I'm going to get.

My father plays piano and tried to teach all of us to play but non of us kept it up. I regret it now.

My son started playing piano 18 months ago when he went to high school. Within a few weeks of starting my father bought him a Casio Celviano and he practises constantly. He recently passed grade 2 and his teacher has put him onto grade 4 now. He just seems to have a natural ability. He took up violin at 7 and his then music teacher used to comment on how good he was.

I tell everyone he gets it from me. That's as close as I'm going to get.

One of my friends has a very loud egotistical father, who was a minor half-famous guitarist in the late 60s. My good friend never tried a guitar until he was 30+, when he did not have to deal with Mr Ego, his father, any more, as he now had his own place. He learns it for his own pleasure, and not to please his father. I don't care if he gets a bum note, because we all do! I think learning a musical instrument should not be compulsory! So many kids don't want it. I always like having a go myself. Maybe I should try a saxophone?

"some twits on here on here were talking about Ukuleles?"

Hunt them down like dogs!!

It's quite fun really! I always thought them to be a "joke" instrument, but I have "seen the light". :blink:

I have been having a hankering to learn to play the piano for several years. I simply do not have the time. I am also pretty cr*p musically.

I have considered one of those computer programs that teaches you through a keyboard on your screen or attached to your computer - I have no idea how good or rubbish such programs are?

Don't know, MT, but worth a try.

It had been so long for me, I almost had to start again from scratch. I used the Carol Barratt classical piano course for adult beginners - 2nd hand from amazon - which I found very good. After about a year of working on my own on a very old and basic keyboard I joined a group class and acquired an old piano via eBay. There are classes from complete beginners to advanced, and the beginners' usually seems pretty full. There isn't time for the teacher to do much with everybody in a hour, but I enjoy it. I do have the time to practise, though. I am now playing grade 5 pieces - I never ever thought I'd get this far.

Don't know, MT, but worth a try.

It had been so long for me, I almost had to start again from scratch. I used the Carol Barratt classical piano course for adult beginners - 2nd hand from amazon - which I found very good. After about a year of working on my own on a very old and basic keyboard I joined a group class and acquired an old piano via eBay. There are classes from complete beginners to advanced, and the beginners' usually seems pretty full. There isn't time for the teacher to do much with everybody in a hour, but I enjoy it. I do have the time to practise, though. I am now playing grade 5 pieces - I never ever thought I'd get this f

What a lovely post. Sitting in the moment playing wonderful music on a piano is IMO a wonderful achievement in life.

Like TMT I've hankered for several years to learn to play the piano because I love piano solos and piano music in general (One favourite is Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No 2). I have a keyboard and over the years I've dabbled on and off but not made much progress.

Nowadays I have a bit more time to myself and I feel inspired to note in my things to do on dark winter nights list........make a committed effort to learn how to play the piano. There is no excuse to give up with access to resources available with the tap of my fingers.

I have gone the 'opposite way'. Over the years i have accumulated a stack of half-learned instruments. At one point I had a virtually complete bedroom recording studio (upmarket 8-track recorder, 16 channel mixer, etc.)

The only thing that stood between me and international stardom was my complete lack of musical talent.

In my local park last year there was a day of performances by the local kids (teen rock bands, etc.) One rock band was raw, unpolished, ragged, and utterly engaging. The oldest member was 13. The lead guitarist had more talent in his little finger than I posses in my entirety.

So, not exactly an 'inspiring' experience for me that day...

I have gone the 'opposite way'. Over the years i have accumulated a stack of half-learned instruments. At one point I had a virtually complete bedroom recording studio (upmarket 8-track recorder, 16 channel mixer, etc.)

The only thing that stood between me and international stardom was my complete lack of musical talent.

In my local park last year there was a day of performances by the local kids (teen rock bands, etc.) One rock band was raw, unpolished, ragged, and utterly engaging. The oldest member was 13. The lead guitarist had more talent in his little finger than I posses in my entirety.

Must say I try to avoid the 4 year old Chinese kids bashing out grade 8 Bach on YouTube. Somewhat demoralising. OTOH I do like comparing adult performances - so many of them - on YouTube. One will play a piece absolutely beautifully, another will just be plonking out the notes in the right order. At least I know what I'm aspiring to...

You should take up the basoon! It should be no challenge after the pink oboe. :blink:

Any instrument takes a bit of time to learn. Maybe I will never be really good, but it's fun anyway. I'll stick to the guitar as my favourite! It's hard to start off with as you have to learn chord perversions, but the piano is much more logical, as the high notes are on the right, and the Chas'n'Dave sound is in the middle.