House Price Crash Forum
Si1

People Of Hpc, Grant Me Fortitude And Patience

My sister in law, who's lovely, has just bought a semi in Preston for 300k

We all have to visit and say how wonderful it is and what a great decision it was, cheered on by the family boomers

Help

I'd have thought you could buy Preston for that sort of money.

I suppose that's what the massive public sector does to places.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

Good luck, if the mother-in-law is there during your visit, but I'm a bit confused with the £300K... did the other one fall through?

My mother in law is putting pressure on me and tacitly via my wife.

I may as well threaten divorce tbh if that's what it comes down to.

Out if the blue, after her sister just bought a semi in Preston for £200k that was 80k in 2001, suddenly experiencing sudden pressure from wifey and mil.

Holy cow.

I get in trouble for not worrying about anyone's sisters (other than my own), sisters-in-laws etc. It's a big bad market are many of us are long-term on the wrong side of it.

Er I think you need to read what I said again , I stated that most young people just wanted to buy an ordinary house and live in it and get on with their lives.

My sister bought a home you did not, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder as she did and you did not. It's not about the Bank of England or me fretting . You say you don't blame her but reading between the lines of your post I think you do !!

What if your income falls and youcannot afford your rent ? What if rent 's rise and you are priced out of the rental market ? My sister choose to risk buying and uncertainty comes with that , you chose to carry on renting and there are also risks with that.
You don't blame my sister , but don't care if she fails, maybe that is part of the problem , the people of this country are being F--ked and people like you smile at it if the ones getting f--ked are in a different group to you. It would be better if people stuck together a bit more and got a better deal for everyone.

When my sister bought she looked into buying and renting and the risks involved , renting was only slightly cheaper and if she choose to rent she would rent for ever , eight years later the rent she would have paid is now more than her mortgage , with another 46 years of rising rent to pay ( if she lives to 80) by buying she only has another 17 years left of mortgage.

My opinion is that there is enough room in this country to build enough houses for the people ( no it would not mean building over all the green belt ) for everyone to buy at a resonable price. Maybe then you would look again and buy as you would not need to take on so much debt to do so. Could also be cheaper than the rent you pay to service someone else's mortgage.

Just for the record when my sister bought her house , her and her husband were sentanced to 25 years debt repayment , they have served 8 , and by paying some of their debt down when they came into a few thousand recently could get early parole and be mortgage free in less than the 17 years remaining on their sentance.
They are now in the position that if interest rates rise , or their income falls they would probley still be able to manage , Negative Equity will not affect them if houses fall to much , as they do not plan to sell any time soon , by paying their debt off they would return to equity in time.

Do not blame people like my sister for your position blame the real culprits , the landowners , the planners , the developers, the greedy banks the , the politictions, as they have helped to put you where you are and you looking into it have helped.

Don't worry about my sister , she will be ok , but when she is living rent and mortgage free in the next 10-15 years , no your right she won't be fretting about you either.

My sister has bought a place in Wales, really big place for £220k. Oh, second home by the way (and she is younger than me, what a disappointment to my parents I must be!), although her and her family are planning to relocate there and of course use the London pad as a BTL 'it's me pension init'!

Edited by Venger

Good luck, if the mother-in-law is there during your visit, but I'm a bit confused with the £300K... did the other one fall through?

I get in trouble for not worrying about anyone's sisters (other than my own), sisters-in-laws etc. It's a big bad market are many of us are long-term on the wrong side of it.

My bad

Closer to 200k than 300

1. Ignore the financial aspects entirely.
Ask questions about what they plan to do/have done to the place.Pretend to be deeply interested in the pros and cons of coving.Try not to piss yourself laughing if anyone who joins in appears to actually be serious.

• Ignore the financial aspects entirely.
  • Ask questions about what they plan to do/have done to the place.
  • Pretend to be deeply interested in the pros and cons of coving.
  • Try not to piss yourself laughing if anyone who joins in appears to actually be serious.

Excellent :-)

My sister has just put in an offer on a house (£155-160k). Looks like I'll be doing the same 'isn't it lovely?' act as Si1. :)

The rest of my immediate family think that house prices will NEVER EVER come down! And my parents were mortgagees during the 1980s and 90s.

It's a 4 bedder too and they haven't got children yet.

I thought you upgraded like that when you needed the space, not anticipating it by 10 years????

It's a 4 bedder too and they haven't got children yet.

I thought you upgraded like that when you needed the space, not anticipating it by 10 years????

Ha ha, that sounds like us. Were just trying for kids now.

I experienced something similar the other night when my brother-in-law started talking about some house him and his wife were going to view with the intention of letting it. I almost had a seizure but managed to contain myself. I don't think he's ever been present when I've been banging on about house prices to my mother-in-law.

The funny thing was the figures actually worked out rather well. It's been reduced a lot as it needs serious work but he's in the trade so is quite happy to just crack on with that. I'll see him next week to find out if he's going for it. I may have to start piping down if he does...

A great phrase is "This is wonderful - you are very brave".

Plants a little seed of doubt that may blossom into a huge oak one day.

Impressive to be posting on HPC at the same time.

Si - Pretend to admire the twigs in the vase.

Or better still, take some as a house warming gift.

You'll be a hero and you can have a quiet chuckle to yourself, win win.

I experienced something similar the other night when my brother-in-law started talking about some house him and his wife were going to view with the intention of letting it. I almost had a seizure but managed to contain myself. I don't think he's ever been present when I've been banging on about house prices to my mother-in-law.

The funny thing was the figures actually worked out rather well. It's been reduced a lot as it needs serious work but he's in the trade so is quite happy to just crack on with that. I'll see him next week to find out if he's going for it. I may have to start piping down if he does...

It's different if he's in the building trade as he'll know how to get jobs done for a good price, and actually be a professional landlord, tbh

It's different if he's in the building trade as he'll know how to get jobs done for a good price, and actually be a professional landlord, tbh

Non sequitur.

The hilarious thing about sticks in a vase, balls on a plate or beads in a jar or dead wood things is that you are paying interest on the space they occupy. In fact I know of some who buy all this shit on credit cards and then fill a house with it on debt then pay interest on all of it whilst sitting on a couch which costs thousands but is also on payments.

I simply do not understand it anymore.

Apparently the whole f#cking planet is currently visiting to tell them what a wonderful house it is and how wonderful they are etc. Literally. Delegations of official visitors. Distant cousins. Even extraterrestrial visitors for all I know. I'm feeling sick right now.

Edited by Si1

Apparently the whole f#cking planet is currently visiting to tell them what a wonderful house it is and how wonderful they are etc. Literally. Delegations of official visitors. Distant cousins. Even extraterrestrial visitors for all I know. I'm feeling sick right now.

:lol:

You should try being on the other side of the con.

A great phrase is "This is wonderful - you are very brave".

Plants a little seed of doubt that may blossom into a huge oak one day.

My sister in law, who's lovely, has just bought a semi in Preston for 300k

We all have to visit and say how wonderful it is and what a great decision it was, cheered on by the family boomers

Help

Add "in this economy/climate" for maximum effect.

Is it fantastic? That would be an ecumenmical question.

Or rather, i dont know, might be fantastic for you, i couldnt give a feckarse industires.

Ive got some slugs in a bucket of water, is that an improvment on twigs in vases?

Other relative doing the same thanks to BOMAD now. They're all telling me how wonderful it is. My family now has some pretty serious leveraged exposure at the apparent top of this mini cycle, and I'm expected to celebrate for them

Joy