House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

British Home Stores..how Does It Survive?

MrPin lived 5 miles away in Coulsdon. You may have seen me at the newsagents, waiting for a train, drinking coffee at the bistro, carrying a briefcase, and being very normal!

Normal people do not catch trains at newsagents.

My eldest brother had a Saturday job in Shinners. Suitcase department. We used to pop in and laugh at him from time to time as kids do.

What department were you in?

Carpets, and then furniture! I used to carry heavy items and deliver them! I was a mere yoof then, and it kept me fit. The sales manager of the carpet department asked me whether I would like to be a salesman. It was just like "Are you being served". We even had a camp window dresser with whom I would arrange the shop front displays over the weekend for a bit of overtime.

No innuendo intended. You can imagine what comments I got from the other lads.

Carpets, and then furniture! I used to carry heavy items and deliver them! I was a mere yoof then, and it kept me fit. The sales manager of the carpet department asked me whether I would like to be a salesman. It was just like "Are you being served". We even had a camp window dresser with whom I would arrange the shop front displays over the weekend for a bit of overtime.

No innuendo intended. You can imagine what comments I got from the other lads.

I was probably working across the roadto you at that very time, I had a Saturday job at Lilley & Skinner's.

Guest eight

I'm interested too, as I don't recall them being noted purveyors of accordians or unicycles, at the time.

We have this regional chain round here called Boyes. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find accordians or indeed unicycles for sale in there.

We have this regional chain round here called Boyes. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find accordians or indeed unicycles for sale in there.

Sounds like my sort of shop! ^_^

Boyes is one of my favourite shops.

Its like Poundland but sells stuff for more than a pound and actually goodish qualty.

Scabbies best!

They seem to promote the cafe in the Nottingham one more than the store itself.

Maybe they putt something in the lattes that gives people the urge to buy crap clothes.

Offshore tax affairs probably help it stay alive.

Boyes is one of my favourite shops.

Its like Poundland but sells stuff for more than a pound and actually goodish qualty.

Scabbies best!

Ditto, I love Boyes. I class it as a 'proper' shop where you can buy 'proper' stuff.

Never had a job in a shop. Worked for NCP car parks in Kingston for a phenomenal amount of money on Saturdays. Before automation.

Usually at Banstead Mental Asylum in holidays. They were like little oases these places.

Was that the Asylum at the top of Banstead Road South, that is now a prison?

We even had a camp window dresser with whom I would arrange the shop front displays over the weekend for a bit of overtime.

I think I remember your Shinner's window displays.

Your fashion mannequin 'kidnapped girl in a barn'-themed display was epic, particularly because you used live pigs and real straw in the diarama.

I used to shop in Chelsea girl and Owen Owen I believe PG took that over 1994 marking the end of an era.......had to catch the bus to wood green, that is not wood or not green to see the wonderful delights of BHS.

early-70s-CG.jpg

I used to shop in Chelsea girl and Owen Owen I believe PG took that over 1994 marking the end of an era.......had to catch the bus to wood green, that is not wood or not green to see the wonderful delights of BHS.

I lived a whole year of my life in Wood Green! :blink:

But I hope the stores do continue, if nothing else to escape the frenetic activity of the City...I can't actually fit into any of their clothes, waists start at 32'', I'm a 30; but do like their restaurants.

Bit late to this thread, but blimey mate get yourself into Primark. 28 and 30" waist trousers aplenty in there, their buyers seem to think every impoverished hipster and wasted alcoholic in SE London is in need of a cheap pair of strides- there's sod all to fit me.

Before I started squatting I had a 31" waist and could usually fit my bum into 32" waist trousers, albeit with occasional Italian waiter action round the crotch area. Now I have a 34" waist and yet I can rarely find a pair of 36" waist trousers that'll go round my legs. I literally have two pairs of casual trousers left and both are pretty worn out. Temtpted to have a look in BHS as a last desperate measure before I decide to learn how to use my sowing machine...

He said he was waiting for a train. Maybe it was to collect a build your own Flying Scotsman magazine partwork.

IMO magazine partworks remain unsurpassed. I still consult my copies of the first seven Tree of Knowledge issues, in a largely empty binder, before even bothering with Wikipedia.

I wasn't aware that it had survived. I can't recall the last time I saw a BHS store.

What is odd, is seeing C & A still going - there's a store in Amsterdam. They only withdrew from the UK.

Bit late to this thread, but blimey mate get yourself into Primark. 28 and 30" waist trousers aplenty in there, their buyers seem to think every impoverished hipster and wasted alcoholic in SE London is in need of a cheap pair of strides- there's sod all to fit me.

Before I started squatting I had a 31" waist and could usually fit my bum into 32" waist trousers, albeit with occasional Italian waiter action round the crotch area. Now I have a 34" waist and yet I can rarely find a pair of 36" waist trousers that'll go round my legs. I literally have two pairs of casual trousers left and both are pretty worn out. Temtpted to have a look in BHS as a last desperate measure before I decide to learn how to use my sowing machine...

Primark! Really!!!!

I managed to avoid Primark until last summer.

Then I had to take my 14 yo niece to middlesbrough for 'the shops'

Dragged off into Primark.

On the positive - its like a jumble sale but the clothes are not 50 years old and no one has died in them.

The negative - its like new year sales day.

And the clothes are that not well made. But I doubt that matters is you are rapidly growing 14 yo.

BHS I do not understand at all.

I'd never heard of it til I lived in the South. I would guess it was a mainly Southern chain until the 90s?

We have one locally. Its very very wierd. Its just not consistent. Some stuff is OK quality; other stuff is crap.

They have a run-down cafe which stinks the place up. In the few times I've been in the place over the years - we only go in for kids clothes - the toilets have never been fully working or clean.

I beleive the BHS was part of a major up-grading of the run-down shopping area in the late 90s.

Totally failed. BHS has never been busy. I never see people going in and out.

I wasn't aware that it had survived. I can't recall the last time I saw a BHS store.

What is odd, is seeing C & A still going - there's a store in Amsterdam. They only withdrew from the UK.

C+A was truely terrible.

Ditto, I love Boyes. I class it as a 'proper' shop where you can buy 'proper' stuff.

Other than a big John Lewis, Boyes is the only other shop which has a good haberdashery dept.

Or at least the big one in Queen Street does.

I used to love going there as a kid. My mum would leave me + my bothers by the monkey cage whilst she shopped.

Then we'd go to the market for fruit + veg.

Boyes is one of the retail success stories you'll have never heard off.

They've been expanding over the 20 odd years,

Not in a big, debt funded manner but every now and then, when a site becomes available.

They have a '2 hours drive from Scabby rule' Their depot is south of the town:

http://www.boyes.co.uk/about_comm_prop/about_comm_prop.html

Oh, its a 3 hour drive now!

Wow! They are in March, CAMBS now! That is a suprise.

I thought they were stretched when they entered South Yorkshire - which is a good 3 hours drive from Scabby.

Surely the platform is in front of the newsagent. And other places to get a coffee may be few and far between.

I never knew you were porcaphilic! Or is sowing something altogether more sinister ? :ph34r:

Misshapen clothes seem to be becoming ever more common. I'm of modest stature and large (but not XL) paunch, yet my newer shirts are in XXL size because anything smaller is too tight on the shoulders. Older shirts in "smaller" sizes are fine.

Sadly missed. I have nothing more comfortable in my wardrobe than my remaining C&A shirts.

My eldest brother had a Saturday job in Shinners. Suitcase department. We used to pop in and laugh at him from time to time as kids do.

What department were you in?

At one point when my folks were particularly broke my father had an extra Saturday morning job in their accounts dept.

My first hideous school hat came from Allders. Except maybe for a tie, it was the only thing I had new All the rest was 2nd hand from my sister, not that I was remotely bothered.

A very vivid memory of Allders is being with my father when he was buying a handbag as a Christmas present for my mother. I was no more than 6 or 7 but still remember him being shown a bag that he pronounced 'too granny-ish', and it was. I knew even then that my mother wouldn't like it. He chose a bag in beautiful leather that was miles nicer and twice the price - three guineas - very extravagant then - but I knew she'd love it. She kept that bag for many years until it fell apart.

At one point when my folks were particularly broke my father had an extra Saturday morning job in their accounts dept.

My first hideous school hat came from Allders. Except maybe for a tie, it was the only thing I had new All the rest was 2nd hand from my sister, not that I was remotely bothered.

A very vivid memory of Allders is being with my father when he was buying a handbag as a Christmas present for my mother. I was no more than 6 or 7 but still remember him being shown a bag that he pronounced 'too granny-ish', and it was. I knew even then that my mother wouldn't like it. He chose a bag in beautiful leather that was miles nicer and twice the price - three guineas - very extravagant then - but I knew she'd love it. She kept that bag for many years until it fell apart.

Allders was at one time, the biggest department store in Europe. I worked there. I didn't work in the handbag department.

Allders was at one time, the biggest department store in Europe. I worked there. I didn't work in the handbag department.

Would that have been the same chain that we had here in Cardiff in the 80's. My brother was a sign writer there and used to do all the window and product signs. One Easter they wanted them to use the tag line "our prices will crucify you". Needless to say it got vetoed. It still makes me lol now.

I never knew you were porcaphilic! Or is sowing something altogether more sinister ? :ph34r:

I am. Better watch out if you come to an HPC meetup! :ph34r:

:P very drunk when posting last night, apologies!

Misshapen clothes seem to be becoming ever more common. I'm of modest stature and large (but not XL) paunch, yet my newer shirts are in XXL size because anything smaller is too tight on the shoulders. Older shirts in "smaller" sizes are fine.

As I say I lift weights (or used to, have been very lazy for the last year), but I'm far from being a bodybuilder. The shirt I'm wearing is an XL as the L that my brother (or more likely my sister-in-law) originally bought me for my birthday wouldn't go round my biceps. I decided to buy a couple of Palace replica shirts from the club shop last week as they were flogging this year's ones off for 15 quid and I'm planning on doing a few more away games next year and might as well look the part. Had to get XXL!

Sadly missed. I have nothing more comfortable in my wardrobe than my remaining C&A shirts.

I seem to recall that in 1993 when I first went skiing C&A were your only option for skiwear on the high street...

Would that have been the same chain that we had here in Cardiff in the 80's. My brother was a sign writer there and used to do all the window and product signs. One Easter they wanted them to use the tag line "our prices will crucify you". Needless to say it got vetoed. It still makes me lol now.

The big store was in Croydon! There was also Kennard's and Grant's. But I worked at Allders. I did a Saturday job there as young kid, when I should have been in Synagog, but at least I was earning. When I decided to leave school, I got a full time job there where I earned a smashing thirty quid a week. After tax that was about 18 quid!