House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

British Home Stores..how Does It Survive?

I have got a bit of nostalgia for these 1960s' style Department stores, but it hasn't escaped my attention that both the Nottingham and Derby stores sometimes resemble the Marie Celeste even at busy times.

It's not surprising that the business was recently sold for a quid, and one assumes that the losses are still mounting.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992554/Green-sells-BHS-1-15-years-bought-200million-Fears-11-000-jobs-sale-little-known-investment-firm.html

But I hope the stores do continue, if nothing else to escape the frenetic activity of the City...I can't actually fit into any of their clothes, waists start at 32'', I'm a 30; but do like their restaurants.

Today I was rather surprised to see four other diners, but actually two of them turned out to be BHS consultants looking at the tired 1960s suspended cork tiling on the ceiling.

If four diners doesn't seem many, picture it in a cavernous first floor room that just about covers the entire sales area below and is given over to individual leather three piece suites each given the luxury of a lounge sized space for the diner. Yep room isn't a problem at the Nottingham store. Perfect for a latter day Mycroft Holmes who doesn't have the distraction of others at the Diogenes club, I'll leave the crowding to the pack em in Costabucks trend setters. And the price, £2.90 for cheese cake with cream and raspberry couli and one of those outsized coffee cups that BHS generously fill (with latte). Yep, and I was complaining about my cholesterol level on another thread.

So I hope this facility continues, I doubt it though.

Funnily enough I was in the Kingston store today and wondered the same thing. The children's wear dept. downstairs was virtually deserted, and yet there were some nice things.

I think one of the mistakes Philip Green made was letting his Mrs loose on the homewares dept. She tried to take it a bit upmarket, and I think it probably backfired badly. The lighting dept. was always very good, and maybe still is.

But I hope the stores do continue, if nothing else to escape the frenetic activity of the City...I can't actually fit into any of their clothes, waists start at 32'', I'm a 30; but do like their restaurants.

So I hope this facility continues, I doubt it though.

There's always a fat trouser sale going on somewhere! You could buy a belt.

I think the jumper I have on is from BHS. I don't know how they have survived. I bought two about 20 years ago and they are still OK. If the cat hadn't put claw holes in this one it'd probably outlast me.

The oldest thing in my collection of clothes was for a time a 20 year old pair of BHS briefs. Outrageous quality.

+1 for the lighting department. Used to really excite me as a child for some reason.

+1 for the lighting department. Used to really excite me as a child for some reason.

Same here :D

I think the jumper I have on is from BHS. I don't know how they have survived. I bought two about 20 years ago and they are still OK. If the cat hadn't put claw holes in this one it'd probably outlast me.

Some years ago I bought a BHS cardigan for my mother - it had to be tumble dryable, since she's in a care home, it had to have pockets and big buttons, and it had to NOT be one of those frumpy old lady ones, since she would never wear such things pre dementia and I didn't see why she should start now.

The red one I bought was so nice, washed like a dream and lasted at least 5 years even with heavy wear and lots of care home laundry bashing. It cost £11 in a just-before-Christmas sale.

I cursed myself afterwards for not buying at least one other. So hard to find suitable, non-horrible things that don't mind being tumble dried.

I love BHS. Sales & quality are good. January sale of christmas decorations, crackers etc is excellent every year. It is usually fairly empty even during sale times though - no idea how it survives. I would miss it.

I can only assume there's a big market for beige leisurewear and elasticated waist poly-cotton action slacks, as that's all they seem to have in the menswear dept.

funny that.....you should see what thy have on offer in the womens department, almost like going back in time.

funny that.....you should see what thy have on offer in the womens department, almost like going back in time.

This leads me to answering my original point...how does it survive. Possibly older boomers with money coming out of their ears who think nothing of spending £40 on a cardigan, meanwhile Primark catering for the impoverished generation X and Y need ten times the foot fall to make that sale and are harvesting the pennies not the pounds.

It sells things you don't want to other people!

Funnily enough I was in the Kingston store today and wondered the same thing. The children's wear dept. downstairs was virtually deserted, and yet there were some nice things.

I think one of the mistakes Philip Green made was letting his Mrs loose on the homewares dept. She tried to take it a bit upmarket, and I think it probably backfired badly. The lighting dept. was always very good, and maybe still is.

i had the misfortune of visiting that one too , was crammed to the rafters with cheap looking tat , it reminded me of a well organised charity shop

I never set foot in BHS for personal reasons.

I used to have a part time job at BHS for the Christmas period in 1997. I was given very odd hours - a few hours on Thursdays for late openings, Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Despite this I gave it my best, in the hope that they might take me on on a permanent basis while I was studying. The Manager was too cowardly to inform me verbally when my contact would end. Without warning, in January 1998 I was sent some paperwork confirming that my job had finished.

Right p***ed me off how it was done. Bumped into a work colleague some weeks who was treated in a similar fashion and wrote a letter of complaint. If they treat their staff with contempt then I doubt that customers are treated much better.

They're all in Bentall's surely. Does it still exist? It was a very sad day when Shinners (Sutton) went. Gobbled up by the Croydon behemoth Allders. It was like the death of a great aunt.

I used to work for Allders of Croydon in Croydon!

My eldest brother had a Saturday job in Shinners. Suitcase department. We used to pop in and laugh at him from time to time as kids do.What department were you in?

I'm interested too, as I don't recall them being noted purveyors of accordians or unicycles, at the time.

Which time?

Does the men's department offer purple loon pants with 20 inch flares, and cheesecloth shirts?

I've set my time machine for 1970. Actually I think it might be a washing machine. Oh no! I have some damp clothes to hang up! It was a washing machine after all, but where did this slide rule come from, and why is there a half-a-crown in my change?

Which time?Does the men's department offer purple loon pants with 20 inch flares, and cheesecloth shirts? I've set my time machine for 1970. Actually I think it might be a washing machine. Oh no! I have some damp clothes to hang up! It was a washing machine after all, but where did this slide rule come from, and why is there a half-a-crown in my change?

Double-check there are no BBC radio DJs or entertainers, in there, and, if so, be vigilant, very vigilant.

My eldest brother had a Saturday job in Shinners. Suitcase department. We used to pop in and laugh at him from time to time as kids do.

What department were you in?

I'm a former Suttonian too. MrPin used to live near me, which is a bit frightening to think about.

I'm a former Suttonian too. MrPin used to live near me, which is a bit frightening to think about.

MrPin lived 5 miles away in Coulsdon. You may have seen me at the newsagents, waiting for a train, drinking coffee at the bistro, carrying a briefcase, and being very normal!