House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Increase In Unwanted Cold Calls?

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Free service to stop the calls or at least allows you complain about them.

Has anyone here noticed an increase in the number of cold calls? We've been having an increasing number and I ended up complaining about one to the above, ironically it was from someone cold calling to sell me a service to stop cold calls, the company in question was called Stop These Calls.

Are scam calls increasing. They do appear to have become a bit more subtle in how they engage and don't reveal the cost till the end.

The wife had one yesterday telling her she'd won 3 months free subscription to some magazine and all they needed was credit card details to make a £1 charge. My wife told them if she'd won just to send the magazines.

Is anyone on here receiving more unwanted direct marketing calls?

Are these to landlines? We only have a VOIP based one and only family have the number. In the last year it has had zero junk calls. We did have a physical landline once and got a fair number of calls from debt collection agencies chasing someone who as it transpired was apparently living at an address in the same village which did not exist. After this was clarified they stopped. Nice of me to do their work for them. After we had a row with BT six years ago, the landline stopped too ;)

I think the only junk call I've had to my mobile was O2 "trying to offer me a better deal" which was countered quite quickly with "If this involves me giving you any bank details to set up a direct debit, we need not proceed to have this conversation" and it ended there.

Get about two a day, in order of frequency.....

(1) PPI

(2) Personal accident compo

(3) Mobile phone contract

About the same although without the mobile phone bit. And that's with TPS registration, they're simply crooks. The TPS is useless; it might cut down on the number but as far as I can see there's no simple method of complaining about calls to them and they don't seem to do a great deal.

Guest eight

and got a fair number of calls from debt collection agencies chasing someone who as it transpired was apparently living at an address in the same village which did not exist.

Very enterprising. How much did you get away with?

Yes, several a day, many of them 'ghost' calls where the operator doesn't put the call through.

TPS registration will stop some calls, as most legitimate UK companies won't make sales calls to TPS registered numbers.

However, it won't stop foreign companies or companies selling under the guise of 'market research.'

I've found saying to people I don't take cold calls and to stop wasting their time and remove the number from the database has cut it down slightly, but the only thing you can really do is to have your answerphone on permanently with a message saying 'no cold calls will be answered. Anyone else, please give your name and number and I'll get back to you.' Friends and relatives will know to say their name and that you'll pick up because you're listening. Cold callers will just hang up. In effect this acts as a sort of secretary to screen your calls from you and works quite well once you get out of the habit of automatically picking the phone up whenever it rings.

Virtually none. I have no home phone and I only give my mobile number when there is a need for somebody to have it. I also only answer my mobile when I recognise the number or am expecting a call.