House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Danny Alexander Reveals Conservatives Are Plotting To 'con' British People By Slashing Child Tax Credits And Child Benefits In £8Billion Purge

This country in 20 years time will be so full and unworkable it will be unimaginable to how it is today, we must control immigration and either limit child birth or cut down the benefits that encourage it ,and any party that actually implements measures to stop- this madness not just talk about it will have my support.

Of course they could get it all back from slashing housing benefits....but that would hurt their hard working landlord supporters.

Oh, I don't know. Only the lower class rentiers rent out to tenants requiring housing benefit. The cream of the rentiers only lend out to the 1% who are good for their money.

This country in 20 years time will be so full and unworkable it will be unimaginable to how it is today, we must control immigration and either limit child birth or cut down the benefits that encourage it ,and any party that actually implements measures to stop- this madness not just talk about it will have my support.

Yeh but the country going to be 'so full and unworkable' because old people live longer, with the vast amounts of money that's being funnelled into heathcare and social security actually going to them rather than the people who are experiencing the bulk of the cuts.

That said when Child Tax Credit was brought in Child Benefit should have been merged into it.

And nobody seems to question the fact that so many rely on benefits & credits. Do they really think this is sustainable?

Everyone appears to have forgotten one of the real lessons of Henry Ford - pay people a decent wage and they can afford to buy your stuff

Actually, they should slash child benefits and credits. Or at the very least limit it to two children.

I think it would be hard to do this retrospectively, if that makes sense. Can't see them being able to do that.

Great Idea Papag....so who is going to make the contributions (pensions, health, care) that will pay for an ever increasing elderly population...unless of course we take one of two options a) confiscate all of their assets at retirement and use these to pay the bills or B) have compulsory euthanasia at the age of retirement!

Yeh but the country going to be 'so full and unworkable' because old people live longer, with the vast amounts of money that's being funnelled into heathcare and social security actually going to them rather than the people who are experiencing the bulk of the cuts.

That said when Child Tax Credit was brought in Child Benefit should have been merged into it.

Much of it, yes. Hopefully the NHS will be dead and buried by then.

If not, I cant see anything other than 95% of tax receipts spent on the cult-like NHS.

Great Idea Papag....so who is going to make the contributions (pensions, health, care) that will pay for an ever increasing elderly population...unless of course we take one of two options a) confiscate all of their assets at retirement and use these to pay the bills or B) have compulsory euthanasia at the age of retirement!

1) non-EU migrants take more in benefits than they pay in taxes

2) EU migrants surpress wages in lower level jobs.

Its a little more complicated than "people of working age vs those above" as a ratio. Just because they're of working age it doesn't mean they are working, and with the benefits system, and regulations creating millions of non-jobs, as it is, even if they are working, it doesn't mean they are adding more via productivity than they are subtracting via consumption.

I don't mind as long as it is across the board and not just removed from those in work but also from the large workless households who have gambled on having loads of kids letting them live an easy life living off other peoples hard work.

Also might reduce the future pool of wannabe jihadis.

Edited by fru-gal

I don't mind as long as it is across the board and not just removed from those in work but also from the large workless households who have gambled on having loads of kids letting them live an easy life living off other peoples hard work.

Also might reduce the future pool of wannabe jihadis.

In some ways I think paying benefits to people in work is worse...its effectively subsidizing certain employers wage bills, completely distorting the value of each job and preventing true price discovery.

How much would those jobs in London under £20k really have to pay if Housing benefit wasnt available. At least nearer 30k, at a guess.

In some ways I think paying benefits to people in work is worse...its effectively subsidizing certain employers wage bills, completely distorting the value of each job and preventing true price discovery.

How much would those jobs in London under £20k really have to pay if Housing benefit wasnt available. At least nearer 30k, at a guess.

Yes, it would be better if all child benefits were removed and people paid for their own kids (and I say this as a mum myself). But I think the current situation where people are basically paid to have children and some families are much better off not working or working part-time, minimum wage jobs simply because they have children is wrong. It completely disincentivises work and completely defeats the point of going to uni, getting into debt to get a better paid career. Why bother if you can make the same money by having 4 kids and having your rent paid.

Would like to see LHA targeted next (because I am mean) but it's simply a landlord benefit, in the same way that WTC is a subsidy to big business.

And nobody seems to question the fact that so many rely on benefits & credits. Do they really think this is sustainable?

The Scots don't realise it obviously, Danny boy may well be the last surviving Unionist MP as Labour and Tories jump on board in Inverness to save him. The remaining country could be an SNP rout.

All good, but surely the beginning of the end for the union.

It's a bit like somewhere like Humberside going independent based on North Sea gas and haddock. I'd sort of be a bit worried that my future depended on collecting the remaining revenue from public sector workers and welfare lifers and saying goodbye to transfers from other parts of the UK. But it's their choice.

It won't save much cutting child tax credits and benefits. The savings are poultry and probably for ideological reasons. All of the welfare reform and universal credit (which wasted millions of our money on IT) has saved less than 1%. Osbooune can't or won't mention the Current Account deficit or the £600 billion added to the national debt.

So much for "march of the makers"

I believe as others have mentioned on this site that the recovery aka housing boom has ran out of steam.

It won't save much cutting child tax credits and benefits. The savings are poultry and probably for ideological reasons. All of the welfare reform and universal credit (which wasted millions of our money on IT) has saved less than 1%. Osbooune can't or won't mention the Current Account deficit or the £600 billion added to the national debt.

So much for "march of the makers"

I believe as others have mentioned on this site that the recovery aka housing boom has ran out of steam.

What is your solution to our deficit? What will get it to 0% or a surplus so we can start paying down the debt?

What is your solution to our deficit? What will get it to 0% or a surplus so we can start paying down the debt?

Don't forget the £1bn interest per week on the national debt. Cutting to clear the deficit would put us back in recession like 2010-2012.

There have been 3 surpluses in the past 40 years. Those years of surplus didn't yield anything fantastic. Can you remember any of them?

If the government runs a surplus, it means the private sector (including us) must run a deficit. Basic economics.

Government focus isn't about balancing books year to year, the government needs to invest in the future, not ponzi housing booms backed by the rhetoric of "paying down the deficit".

To put the national debt into context, it was at over 250% of GDP after WW2. We didn't shirk or say "we have to balance the books". We rebuilt the damn country!

The national debt gradually declined thereafter. It's called fiscal multipliers. Something Osbooune missed when reading economics for dummies.

Brown / Osbourne= economic illiterates.

You've been hoodwinked, friend.

Don't forget the £1bn interest per week on the national debt. Cutting to clear the deficit would put us back in recession like 2010-2012.

There have been 3 surpluses in the past 40 years. Those years of surplus didn't yield anything fantastic. Can you remember any of them?

If the government runs a surplus, it means the private sector (including us) must run a deficit. Basic economics.

Government focus isn't about balancing books year to year, the government needs to invest in the future, not ponzi housing booms backed by the rhetoric of "paying down the deficit".

To put the national debt into context, it was at over 250% of GDP after WW2. We didn't shirk or say "we have to balance the books". We rebuilt the damn country!

The national debt gradually declined thereafter. It's called fiscal multipliers. Something Osbooune missed when reading economics for dummies.

Brown / Osbourne= economic illiterates.

You've been hoodwinked, friend.

I'm interested in hearing your maths behind this. From the above - though you weren't totally clear - I gather you expect that we don't actually need to tighten our belts, the economy will grow from spending / investing enough such that tax receipts will surpass the spending and we will then be in surplus? Is this correct?

I have my views on this but I am willing to hear alternatives and be persuaded to think differently. But if I look at the most pertinent example to run a constant deficit, Greece, I see it ending in disaster. They ran a deficit since 1971.

So just to get this clear. Danny Alexander commissioned a report in 2012 asking how the coalition could save 8 billion. The DWP proposed capping child benefit. Now Danny has leaked his own report to the press?

Apart from wanting to gain some votes for the Libdems they might be concerned at the recent rogue vote showing the Conservatives making headway. If they want to stand any chance to be part of any coalition that poll was bad news for the Libdems (not to mention the UK economy in general). A week's along time in politics though with all sorts of flimsy pledges,promises and commitments etc along with scares still to be revealed.

Edited by billybong

The savings are poultry

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaak! Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaak!

Ironically most governments would be too chicken to do it anyway despite the fact it should be done. People say 'it's ideological' as if that's a bad thing. Isn't it 'ideological' that people (generally) don't steal or murder?

Debt will get much worse yet, as will interest payments on the debt. I think we'll hit £2 trillion before it starts turning around, if ever it does. Lets face it, we've had 'austerity' for 5 years and the debt has gone up £600bn and the deficit remains close to where it was. Who here really thinks without colossal cuts that's going to change. For me, we're on the ledge, one step the wrong way and we're really up shit creek. If you think about it, record low rates, pumps put on twice and we're still facing anaemic growth and it's believed the worse is yet to come. We have no where to turn now, not really.

If we get an SNP/Lab alliance, I can't see where any real recovery will come from.