House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Watching Tv Programmes Multiple Times

I've always watched things I like again and again. Films, comedy series, science fiction.

For me TV programmes / films are like mood music: sit down at 8pm / 9pm and relax into something I know I'm going to enjoy. I don't see it as anything different to listening to a favourite CD again.

There is of course such a thing as too familiar; some stuff I won't watch again for ten years because I know it too well. And of course I do watch new stuff too (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones).

However I have received over the years many accusations along the lines of "You're not watching this again?" "You've seen this" etc. from people who as far as I can tell always want to see something new once and then move on.

I'm not as extreme as somebody I once knew who admitted he went through phases of watching Spinal Tap every single week but I would, for example, typically watch that twice a year.

Books I do tend to just read once but certain ones that I really like may get re-read very three or four years.

Which side of the fence are people on here? I won't do a poll as people will just want extra options ad infinitum.

I've always watched things I like again and again. Films, comedy series, science fiction.

For me TV programmes / films are like mood music: sit down at 8pm / 9pm and relax into something I know I'm going to enjoy. I don't see it as anything different to listening to a favourite CD again.

There is of course such a thing as too familiar; some stuff I won't watch again for ten years because I know it too well. And of course I do watch new stuff too (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones).

However I have received over the years many accusations along the lines of "You're not watching this again?" "You've seen this" etc. from people who as far as I can tell always want to see something new once and then move on.

I'm not as extreme as somebody I once knew who admitted he went through phases of watching Spinal Tap every single week but I would, for example, typically watch that twice a year.

Books I do tend to just read once but certain ones that I really like may get re-read very three or four years.

Which side of the fence are people on here? I won't do a poll as people will just want extra options ad infinitum.

Some stuff that is fast paced and difficult to follow is worth watching through a couple of times. Some comedy is also appreciated more on the second viewing where you sometimes pick up stuff you missed the first time.

I don't think it's quite the same as music. I watch some favourite TV shows and films over and over, while others though brilliant I can only really enjoy once. When I'm sick there is a small selection of easy, feel-good films I watch every time.

Some stuff that is fast paced and difficult to follow is worth watching through a couple of times. Some comedy is also appreciated more on the second viewing where you sometimes pick up stuff you missed the first time.

The film of Sir Henry at Rawlinson End (Vivian Stanshall's finest work) was so layered and complex with things happening in the background that even after half a dozen viewings each a mate and I were still pointing out things down the pub that the other had missed.

Some TV I never tire of. 'Dad's Army', 'Rising Damp' and 'Steptoe and Son' for example, I could watch over and over again, simply because of the standard of the writing and acting. Even though I know Captain Mainwaring will pick himself up from the floor with his glasses and cap askew, it's still funny every time!

The film of Sir Henry at Rawlinson End (Vivian Stanshall's finest work) was so layered and complex with things happening in the background that even after half a dozen viewings each a mate and I were still pointing out things down the pub that the other had missed.

A marvellous film Frank! I can't imagine why it has so much appeal to me. :blink:

Some TV I never tire of. 'Dad's Army', 'Rising Damp' and 'Steptoe and Son' for example, I could watch over and over again, simply because of the standard of the writing and acting. Even though I know Captain Mainwaring will pick himself up from the floor with his glasses and cap askew, it's still funny every time!

All classics, Mr Allegro! There are a few others too! I think this was the "great" age of television!

I watched Debbie Does Dallas may times, but never got past the 7-minute mark.

You had a wonky Betamax player?

Tomorrow, Pick TV shows the final 2 episodes of over 200 Stargate episodes. On Thursday they start with episode 1 again - I will probably be watching.

If it is Star Trek - except for that b*stardisation called Enterprise - or Stargate then I probably will watch... and watch... and watch again.

A good film thriller or a WW2 film usually makes me sit down and watch it. Something like 'The Cruel Sea' or 'Ice Cold In Alex'.

Many of us have life experiences which become associated with certain films or TV programmes - perhaps you recall watching something as a child or watching something with a parent who has past one. Series liek Trek are also about things like hope and people identify themselves not just with the series but with the ideals that the series strives for in Humanity.

Having said that, I watch less westerns nowadays. But if a good one is on - I will be there.

I have watched the Beeb version of Pride and Prejudice (one of the Beeb's best ever) God knows how many times. Ditto daughters. We have joked that we could go on Mastermind with Who Said What To Whom and When in P&P as our Special Subject.

Comfort food.

Tomorrow, Pick TV shows the final 2 episodes of over 200 Stargate episodes. On Thursday they start with episode 1 again - I will probably be watching.

Nope, they're showing SG: Atlantis on Thursday.

I don't tend to repeatedly watch shows, especially on a short time scale. I do enjoy the odd episode of Star Trek TNG. The acting and scripts in the first few series are hilariously bad.

I have watched Avengers Assemble about 10 times though. It just flies by for me, far from perfect of course.

TV sitcoms.. yes.

Films and TV dramas.. never more than once.

I have never been able to understand watching a film twice.. the suspense is lost!

Yup.

Father Ted.

Most definitely. It's still funny. *That* episode..

"Don't speak to me like that. I could have you killed."

I think it's the best TV comedy ever, with Fawlty Towers coming a very close second.

We've watched all the X-Files episodes, and still go back now and again for the occasional one as we've been doing lately.

And Poirot. And Marple. Even when you know who did it. You get the clues the second time around if you didn't solve it the first time.

Actually I remember joking to my partner once "We can't possibly watch that. We haven't seen it before."

Classic films get watched over and over.

I've seen Fight Club, Rat Race, Severance, The Cottage, The Shawshank Redemption and the best ever, Office Space at least half a dozen times each. And I've probably seen Carry on Camping over 20 times. I can pretty much recite the entire film line by line. "Milk is it?"

I love watching Blackadder, over and over again... it never gets old.

And films I have about 400 on DVD/BlueRay and will stick one on whenever I have 90 mins free, and select them on how I want to feel. A bit like music, but on the TV.

It's like having a conversation with someone you know really well. Ok, you know how it's going to go, but the journeys always worth the effort.

I hate TV because I always miss/forget a couple of episodes and then you have waisted all that time. Where a film you can watch in one sitting.

Most definitely. It's still funny. *That* episode.."Don't speak to me like that. I could have you killed."I think it's the best TV comedy ever, with Fawlty Towers coming a very close second.We've watched all the X-Files episodes, and still go back now and again for the occasional one as we've been doing lately.And Poirot. And Marple. Even when you know who did it. You get the clues the second time around if you didn't solve it the first time.Actually I remember joking to my partner once "We can't possibly watch that. We haven't seen it before."Classic films get watched over and over.I've seen Fight Club, Rat Race, Severance, The Cottage, The Shawshank Redemption and the best ever, Office Space at least half a dozen times each. And I've probably seen Carry on Camping over 20 times. I can pretty much recite the entire film line by line. "Milk is it?"

I will watch old Frost now and then, and any of the Poirot or the Joan Hixkson Miss Marples, but they don't seem to,show these any more. The newer ones are rubbish by comparison. There was one called Sleeping Murder which is intensely creepy - the new version lost that completely.

I have all the Father Teds and do watch now and then, as comfort food.

Some years ago I bought the whole sets of Upstairs, Downstairs, and The Duchess of Duke Street to watch with my mother, when she had earlier stage dementia and could still enjoy such things, though she couldn't cope with anything entirely new. I quickly got addicted to both, and so did Mr B when I brought them home!

Another old set I still watch occasionally is The Pallisers. Everythjng from politics to heiresses being miserably married off, to theft of hugely valuable diamonds, to murder. Something like 24 episodes, so perfect for long dark winter evenings. The old B&W Forsyte Saga is another - Mr B and I once gorged on that for several days after Christmas.

I tend to watch a lot of films twice, especially ones with a complex plot. This is not due to me not understanding the storyline but moreso that on first watch I'll have designated a time to watch it and most likely be so sloshed that by the morning I can't actually remember any of it!

Most definitely. It's still funny. *That* episode..

"Don't speak to me like that. I could have you killed."

I think it's the best TV comedy ever, with Fawlty Towers coming a very close second.

We've watched all the X-Files episodes, and still go back now and again for the occasional one as we've been doing lately.

And Poirot. And Marple. Even when you know who did it. You get the clues the second time around if you didn't solve it the first time.

Actually I remember joking to my partner once "We can't possibly watch that. We haven't seen it before."

Classic films get watched over and over.

I've seen Fight Club, Rat Race, Severance, The Cottage, The Shawshank Redemption and the best ever, Office Space at least half a dozen times each. And I've probably seen Carry on Camping over 20 times. I can pretty much recite the entire film line by line. "Milk is it?"

Columbo.

Frost.

Oh and I have watched Back to the future many times.