House Price Crash Forum

People Now Buying...

HOLA441

When I first found this site 18 months ago, and ever since, there have been debates about the general impact of a crash in house prices on the economy and how many individuals will be financially ruined.

There was at this time a fairly common view on here that only a small percentage of home owners will lose their houses directly as a result of lower prices because most home owners have the cushion of equity in any houses bought up to 2002/03.

Of course, the counter argument is that BTL and MEW make the difference this time and will be the ruin a lot of people.

It crossed my mind earlier today that this 18 month period in which prices have been nationally flat (with a possible slight decline) has seen ever increasing numbers of people buying at the peak and taking on big mortgages. For every month that goes by at this level of prices, thousands of people are taking on a mortgage at the peak price and adding to the impact of declines when they occur.

It would have been better for all concerned if prices had begun to drop quickly last year - this would have saved many people that have subsequently bought from potential financial ruin.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Somone forgot to tell Joe public about the supposed crash. That's why there hasn't and won't be a crash!

It's still most peoples dream to own a home, at almost any cost.

And then it turns into a nightmare because they have overstreched themselves to buy at the top of the market.

HOLA445

Mortgage lenders are now saying that BTL are too risky because of an oversupply..

and BTL's have been stopped by at least one big lender for these new builds..

They quote declining prices..

Sipps were also a big customer to these new builds..

What percentage of poptential customers do you think the new build market lost this week.?

HOLA446
HOLA447

When I first found this site 18 months ago, and ever since, there have been debates about the general impact of a crash in house prices on the economy and how many individuals will be financially ruined.

There was at this time a fairly common view on here that only a small percentage of home owners will lose their houses directly as a result of lower prices because most home owners have the cushion of equity in any houses bought up to 2002/03.

Of course, the counter argument is that BTL and MEW make the difference this time and will be the ruin a lot of people.

It crossed my mind earlier today that this 18 month period in which prices have been nationally flat (with a possible slight decline) has seen ever increasing numbers of people buying at the peak and taking on big mortgages. For every month that goes by at this level of prices, thousands of people are taking on a mortgage at the peak price and adding to the impact of declines when they occur.

It would have been better for all concerned if prices had begun to drop quickly last year - this would have saved many people that have subsequently bought from potential financial ruin.

sad but true. Try to fight the market and it will only hurt you even more.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hrm, nobody told the public about the dotcom crash before March 11th 2000 either, thank god that didn't happen, in fact thank god nothing can happen unless the public are specifically told about it before hand.

Thats a really good answer Buying Bear, it's abit like saying nobody would buy the top of the market if they knew it was the top of the market.

HOLA4411

god this is a dull forum...

thats coz its a forum dedicated to discussing whether something that has already happened will happen.

we should all wean ourselves off it and move on really ......

HOLA4412

god this is a dull forum...

Yep...that's what I've been thinking today too Fred...'n I'm sure it's because something has changed. Not sure quite what it is but I'm sure the smug gits have had their day. Arf arf. Now what was that classic post about Charlie and the little old lady? That one'll be with me for years...!! :D

HOLA4413
HOLA4414