House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Smartphones Are Making Children Borderline Autistic

Constant use of technology such as smartphones is making today's children display borderline "autistic" behaviour, psychiatrist Iain McGilchrist has warned.

The former Oxford literature teacher, who retrained as a doctor, said that children as young as five are becoming increasingly unable to read facial expressions or show empathy, compared to children in previous generations.

He said he had heard of increasing numbers of teachers who have had to tell their pupils what different facial expressions mean.

He added that he had spoken to some teachers who now find that around a third of their pupils have problems with maintaining attention or understanding others' emotions or facial expressions.

[...]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/smartphones-are-making-children-borderline-autistic-says-psychiatrist-10203570.html

Will this be a lost generation?

This is essentially the psychiatrist equivalent of pub chat. He hasn't done any kind of controlled study, he just said he spoke to some teachers about their students' behaviour and then he blamed it on technology himself.

This is essentially the psychiatrist equivalent of pub chat. He hasn't done any kind of controlled study, he just said he spoke to some teachers about their students' behaviour and then he blamed it on technology himself.

Its not the technology he is blaming, he is blaming the way it is being used, with very young children being given comforters all the time, toy phones and computers from tiny ages.

He is saying the children are spending much more time staring at mr jingles the phone than at mum and understanding her non verbal communications, which is a symptom of autism.

You should see the birth list ive been given for my coming grandson.

And there are tons more gadgets a poor mother would give her kid rather than relate to it to shut it up.

Didn't they used to say kids were getting square eyes from watching too much telly?

They must grow out of it as you just don't see square eyed adults.

My mum made me sleep with boxing gloves on.

It made me the man I am today - most popular on my ward at Rampton SO wing . . .

Didn't they used to say kids were getting square eyes from watching too much telly?

They did say that....

Short-sightedness among young people has doubled over the past 50 years with indoor teaching and heavy computer use getting most of the blame.

A study has found that 23 per cent of British 12 and 13-year-olds suffer from myopia compared with 10 per cent in the 1960s. Experts said the surge in short-sightedness was due to teenagers playing outside less, with intensive education and screen time the cause.

Source :- http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4421027.ece

Guest eight

Experts say that, as it sounds so very plausible, but I'd equally put money on diet being behind it or any number of other factors like changes to immunisation programmes.

Yeah, when I was a kid we didn't have books - I spent my whole time gazing at the horizon.

Hey, some journo had column inches to fill, so he took a media-happy chap with some academic background for a beer ...

Today's teachers have been relentlessly trained to spot and report all kinds of things that in earlier times went unremarked. Hence reports of "borderline [syndrome]".

Hey, some journo had column inches to fill, so he took a media-happy chap with some academic background for a beer ...

Today's teachers have been relentlessly trained to spot and report all kinds of things that in earlier times went unremarked. Hence reports of "borderline [syndrome]".

tick box syndrome is not borderline...its an epidemic.

This is no laughing matter.

I found this to be reasonably humorous.

What a load of crup!

I bet there's a correlation with the type of smartphone. Kids whose parents have low-end Android devices probably fare worse than ones whose parents have the latest iPhones. The government needs to make it a priority to provide equal access to iPhones for all parents.

Its not the technology he is blaming, he is blaming the way it is being used, with very young children being given comforters all the time, toy phones and computers from tiny ages.

He is saying the children are spending much more time staring at mr jingles the phone than at mum and understanding her non verbal communications, which is a symptom of autism.

You should see the birth list ive been given for my coming grandson.

And there are tons more gadgets a poor mother would give her kid rather than relate to it to shut it up.

I mentioned this on another thread a few weeks back. Kids aren't spending enough time with each other learning how to behave. By the time they're in their mid teens they just have no idea how to interact with each other.

It's probably going to be fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Bad-Good-You-Popular/dp/0141018682

We're constantly being told that popular culture is just mindless entertainment - but, as Steven Johnson shows in Everything Bad is Good for You, it's actually making us more intelligent.

Steven Johnson puts forward a radical alternative to the endless complaints about reality TV, throwaway movies and violent video games. He shows that mass culture - The Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, The Apprentice, The Sopranos, Grand Theft Auto - is actually more sophisticated and challenging than ever before.

When we focus on what our minds have to do to process its complex, multilayered messages, it becomes clear that it's not dumbing us down - but smartening us up.

I mentioned this on another thread a few weeks back. Kids aren't spending enough time with each other learning how to behave. By the time they're in their mid teens they just have no idea how to interact with each other.

They're probably interacting with each other on their smartphones. Plus I believe children still go to school.

Anybody who thinks the generations are getting dumber as time goes by needs to pick up a copy of the Express.

Every generation laments the next. Its part of the endless "old dying off to make way for the young" cycle. You had your chance grandad....now out of the way XXX-Factor is on.

Kids aren't spending enough time with each other learning how to behave.

How are kids supposed to 'learn how to behave' by spending time with other kids who don't know how to behave?

You do see a lot who are nearly as incapable of dealing with life without having constant things to distract them as these kids are though.