House Price Crash Forum

Churglars (Charity Burglars)

Byron

HOLA441

For many years, a local lady would call at my house with her collecting tin raising money for something at the local church.

She was not employed but did it out of kindness.

You put a coin in her tin and off she went.

Over the past 6 months or so, I have had about 10 charity callers who are clearly professional.

All want me to sign a monthly Direct debit for between £5 and £10.

Unlike the local church lady who would open up directly with 'I am collecting for........' these professionals use the old tactic of trying to ingratiate themselves by asking "how are you? " and 'Isn't it a nice day' etc.

I feel resentful at being approached in my house by such people.

It is the same with the phone. I saw an ad on TV and sent £3 to Oxfam last year. Since then I have had about 6 phone calls from them asking for more. Today, I have had two texts asking for money for Nepal.

I am an OAP, where does this end?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I occasionally give money by text and after having been pestered by follow up calls I know give with my number id witheld.

As far as door chuggers go, I simply tell them I never give at the door and never sign up with direct debits then wish them a good day. I can't stand them and I think their 'friendly'/let's engage with you banter is manipulative, but there's no point being shitty to them, so I just shut the door - they play on people's politness and reluctance to say no

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Thank you, you miserable porker.

You're welcome :P

My current home is up some steps. 44 of them from the road and my garage. Other houses in the street all have similar numbers of steps, so it's a lot of effort to "do" us[1]. That puts a lot of the b*****s off (though someone did come up it the other day: thought they were after my vote, but shut the door when they turned out to be god-botherers).

[1] The postman has special dispensation to cross the walls between houses rather than do all the steps for each of us individually.

HOLA4410

You will go to hell, and you hurt the feelings of the person by saying no.

So far I'm signed up to 479 charities and £1334 comes out every month. I just can't say no....

(I am a liar)

Anyway, if I was in marketing at these charities, the target audience would be OAPs. You know, those really nice people that leave their front doors open, and they are always in, and always answer the door - heck they even might make a cup of tea for you.

HOLA4411

We're on a regular route for door to door canvassers, when we first moved here, it was surprising.

You name it we get it - Virgin Media, Sky, Jehovah, Double glazing, roof insulation, wall cavity insulation, solar panels (not so much) Numerous charities. Most of our neighbours just don't answer the door these days. If it is a parcel, we'll get a card, and if it is gas/electricity we'll get a card also. There is generally no reason to answer the door anymore. This is bad, because of this aggressive strategy by these corporates, the little old lady collecting for the church in this situation would be shut out.

HOLA4412

I just spam forums for donations.

Please send £10 to my Homeless Orphaned Amputee Puppy Fund.

I'll bet when you get the tenner, you will cut the legs off some puppies and kill their parents. Then throw them out!

HOLA4413

These Direct Debit guys get paid commission based on how many people they get to sign up for it, There are ads for these jobs all over the job sites such as indeed.co.uk at the moment. I got sick of these types of folk a while ago and ended up buying one of those "No Canvassers" type plaques to nail onto my door letterbox. So far they have respected my wishes, best £3 I spent in a while.

HOLA4414

For many years, a local lady would call at my house with her collecting tin raising money for something at the local church.

Over the past 6 months or so, I have had about 10 charity callers who are clearly professional.

Unlike the local church lady who would open up directly with 'I am collecting for........' these professionals use the old tactic of trying to ingratiate themselves by asking "how are you? " and 'Isn't it a nice day' etc.

I feel resentful at being approached in my house by such people.

It is the same with the phone. I saw an ad on TV and sent £3 to Oxfam last year. Since then I have had about 6 phone calls from them asking for more. Today, I have had two texts asking for money for Nepal.

I am an OAP, where does this end?

Thats the problem right there ,you give to one and they all wan`t a bit, your details have been passed on and you are now on the ripe for milking list

Change your phone numbers go ex directory and buy a log burner then at least the junk mail/begging letters will keep you warm

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Really simple strategy for chuggers, etc.

Ask them what the CEO of their charity earns. If they say they don't know then laugh and say no way are you giving them any money. If they give you a figure, say that it's more than you earn so they should go and tap the CEO up instead.

Simples.

This.

I donate to those charities with a good financial transparency where a minimum is spent on the fat cats back in the head office. I gave 10,000 dollars to medicine sans frontiers for the ebola outbreak because those brave ******* were actually making a difference to the world.

Most of the big charities in the UK are charities only in the sense the channel donations from the poor to the middle class employees.

HOLA4419

These Direct Debit guys get paid commission based on how many people they get to sign up for it, There are ads for these jobs all over the job sites such as indeed.co.uk at the moment. I got sick of these types of folk a while ago and ended up buying one of those "No Canvassers" type plaques to nail onto my door letterbox. So far they have respected my wishes, best £3 I spent in a while.

That £3 would have saved 3 Homeless Orphan Amputee Puppies from being hit with baseball bats. Shame on you.

HOLA4420

If I were running a charity, much like any business.. it's much easier to get money out of people who are 'existing customers' and so in the interests of the charity I would tailor my marketing to that with various appeals.

In the last year I've donated to the RSPCA, a cat rescue organisation, and a donkey sanctuary project ("Brooke", I think - TV ads)

Barely a week goes by when I don't get some appeal or other in the post.

I recognise why and I don't feel guilty about putting the majority of them in the bin.

I'll contribute when I am ready and able to do so. Though I do not begrudge the mailings - those people are acting in the best interest of the causes that they represent.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

[..]I am an OAP, where does this end?

I've seen some of these authoritative-looking clear signs go up, at the entrance roads to mainly bungalow estates - where mainly elderly people are living. Not sure if there are any criminal sanctions for cold-callers who call regardless, but at least the residents can more confidently say 'no' immediately to door-callers (because of the zone).

2cg0zyv.jpg

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/env_health__trading_standards/no_cold_calling_zones.aspx

HOLA4423

^^^ Good sign for the scammers to know exactly where to go first.

Eeek; lol - yes I suppose the signs do that also - I tend to forget how criminal minded people (burglars etc) can be.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Never understood why people answer the door to a knock/ring. For the people that do, am i missing something?

cold callers don't get beyond our gates, as for anyone in town, I just ignore them. Some Romanian gipsy was running along in front of me the other day dementedly waving a clipboard at me, until she tripped over a broken paving stone. I guess that's one positive thing to come out of the crisis, no street maintenance.

Archived