House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
richc

The Tories Are Throwing In The Towel

OK, this is based on complete hearsay, but a friend whose wife is pretty high up in Conservative circles mentioned last night that the Tories have essentially decided that they won't win and most of them have gone into damage control mode, trying to distance themselves from Cameron and position themselves for the new leadership fight. This might be true, it might not be, but it does seem to me like we're not seeing much from Osborne, May, Gove, etc. They certainly don't seem to be campaigning like their entire future depended upon this election. This guy also said that the Tories made a very big mistake including so many old Etonians in the Cabinet. They painted themselves as out of touch with the electorate and are now reaping the rewards.

There was, perhaps predictably, a Guardian article suggesting similar recently. Basically, the sense is that Cameron doesn't really want the job - even among Tory top brass:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/tories-panicking-david-cameron-election

Can't say I blame him - only a high functioning psychopath would - and Cameron's never really struck me as one of those. Well, not high functioning anyway.

There was, perhaps predictably, a Guardian article suggesting similar recently. Basically, the sense is that Cameron doesn't really want the job - even among Tory top brass:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/tories-panicking-david-cameron-election

Can't say I blame him - only a high functioning psychopath would - and Cameron's never really struck me as one of those. Well, not high functioning anyway.

:lol::lol: Pure laugh fest on here today! Osborne looks like a generic bad guy background artist from any number of low budget 80`s "thrillers" :lol:

OK, this is based on complete hearsay, but a friend whose wife is pretty high up in Conservative circles mentioned last night that the Tories have essentially decided that they won't win and most of them have gone into damage control mode, trying to distance themselves from Cameron and position themselves for the new leadership fight. This might be true, it might not be, but it does seem to me like we're not seeing much from Osborne, May, Gove, etc. They certainly don't seem to be campaigning like their entire future depended upon this election. This guy also said that the Tories made a very big mistake including so many old Etonians in the Cabinet. They painted themselves as out of touch with the electorate and are now reaping the rewards.

No significant evidence that he is going to lose from the polls.

If Cameron didn't want the job he wouldn't ahve put himself up for the election, my guess its 8 weeks of hell and stress. Why would anyone do that if they didn't want to ?

Sounds like rot to me. The polls have them even with Labour for the most part. If UKIP get a decent number of seats it's just as likely we'll have a blueKIP coalition as a Labour/Jimmy Krankie, indeed Labour don't even seem keen on doing business with the Scots.

I've mentioned this a few times, but on the telegraph and mail, the conservative voters seem to have completely disappeared, while over at the guardian, the milliband suporters have gone completely swivel eyed. I looked at an article just from february for comparion, and the attitudes of the guardianistas were mostly negative towards milliband.

I don't think the the tories have got their hearts in it.

Tories haven't won an election since 1992.

Hardly news. Plus Cameron has already said he's not interested in sticking around for the next one.

They should have elected Davis as leader - country would be in far better shape by now.

Edited by R K

I have to agree with the thread premise ( and I thought a few months back they'd walk this election).

The policy of introducing an "English income tax" seems particularly inept. Most people will instinctively believe it will end up with paying more tax, despite any Tory Intentions..

Still, not over until the fat lady sings. Ed can still make a major gaffe. I imagine his advisers are working overtime to stop him letting slip any major bloopers.

If Labour get the most seats and highest % of the vote maybe the Tories should agree to lend them enough votes to pass bills without having to get the SNP envolved.

Either that or Labour via the taxpayer end up giving £20bn a year to Scotland as a bribe.

It's all about the EU referendum. The City and the BoE will never, ever let it happen. Should Cameron get a majority at the GE he'll be replaced by Boris Johnson before 2017 thereby ensuring the matter is postponed indefinitely; and if he fails at the GE he'll be replaced by Boris Johnson with immediate effect.

It's all about the EU referendum. The City and the BoE will never, ever let it happen. Should Cameron get a majority at the GE he'll be replaced by Boris Johnson before 2017 thereby ensuring the matter is postponed indefinitely; and if he fails at the GE he'll be replaced by Boris Johnson with immediate effect.

Boris as PM ...that would be like a real life spitting image sketch

It's the "the Conservatives in charge aren't real Conservatives" ploy and "they'll change them for the better" ploy.

That they're not real Comservatives might even be true but they've supported their policies for 5 years now and would still be quiet if the polls were good for them.

Before the 2010 general election they supported quite different policies because that helped them into power.

Damage limitation but without principle.

Having said that there must be better leadership in that party than Cameron and Osborne. Cameron and Osborne the continue to wreck the economy wreckers.

Edited by billybong

If Labour get the most seats and highest % of the vote maybe the Tories should agree to lend them enough votes to pass bills without having to get the SNP envolved.

Either that or Labour via the taxpayer end up giving £20bn a year to Scotland as a bribe.

...nah ..nah...the sensible route is to agree Independence to Scotland as soon as possible ....with either all or almost all MPs North of the Border, SNP, it seems the most democratic route without the need for a referendum....why mess with nature...?....... :rolleyes:

...nah ..nah...the sensible route is to agree Independence to Scotland as soon as possible ....with either all or almost all MPs North of the Border, SNP, it seems the most democratic route without the need for a referendum....why mess with nature...?....... :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me!

I've mentioned this a few times, but on the telegraph and mail, the conservative voters seem to have completely disappeared, while over at the guardian, the milliband suporters have gone completely swivel eyed. I looked at an article just from february for comparion, and the attitudes of the guardianistas were mostly negative towards milliband.

I don't think the the tories have got their hearts in it.

Havent seen ANY tory posters in my usually 100% tory area. Mostly labour, few libdem & UKIP

Boris Johnson was on the radio this evening and ended by saying how the Conservatives had increased house building. That's the level of dissembling.

Did he compare February 29th 2002 with February 29th 2012 or something?!

http://

www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32506490

David Cameron has vowed to introduce a law guaranteeing no rise in income tax rates, VAT or national insurance before 2020 if the Tories win the election.

:lol::lol: and what's the penalty going to be if they break the law. A speech on the telly and a fine paid by taxpayers?

It's one of those political realities that Conservative facts are stranger than Daily Mash fiction.

Labour and the Libdems are no different.

Edited by billybong

This guy also said that the Tories made a very big mistake including so many old Etonians in the Cabinet.

this

government by the rich and privileged for the rich and privileged

Edited by Si1

I live in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland which is part of the tramping ground of the only Scottish tory mp. Polls are showing that the snp may take the seat yet I have seen no tory campaigners, no tory signs in windows or on roadsides etc and have had no tory leaflets through my door.

I live in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland which is part of the tramping ground of the only Scottish tory mp. Polls are showing that the snp may take the seat yet I have seen no tory campaigners, no tory signs in windows or on roadsides etc and have had no tory leaflets through my door.

That's really strange

Does the incumbent Tory mp not care, actively not want to be reselected, or just plain incompetent?