House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Petrol Mower Buying Anxiety.

A cheap Chinese copy of a Honda mower I inherited off my father has packed up. Even though it was kept outside (under tarpaulin) and erroneously fed two stroke petrol for five years (four stroke engine) it has soldiered on tirelessly, thriving on neglect... until now.

So I dropped in to my local q&b yesterday and selected a mountfield sp454 for £240 which infuriatingly they refused to sell me even though I could see 6 stacked up on a trolly. Told me I had to 'click and collect' anyway that has given me time to talk to a neighbour who by pure coincidence had the same mower as a 2010 inception which lasted four years and the newer model which required extensive repairs/parts under the 2 year warranty and anecdotal evidence suggests many are held together by pieces of string and plagued with rotting chassis's.

Therefore I'm suffering from PMA (petrol mower anxiety) and it's now available to collect in store. Do I cancel the order and pay a bit more for a Honda, Hayter or Viking (stihl) and recommendations please.

I can justify an outlay of ~£400.

Thanks HPCer's.

I have mentioned this before on a previous threads...do you really need one? My plot is about 15 yards by 65 yards and I can race around with a push cylinder in about ten minutes whilst the neighbours drone on for about an hour with their petrol monsters. You'll probably need to cut it at shorter intervals, but I save time in the long run. The results with a push cylinder are superior.

I used to have a much bigger garden pre 2005 and indeed needed a petrol mower. But I don't miss dipping spark plugs in petrol or starting the mower with the air filter removed to get it going and then reinstating it. Also having to fill up the can at the petrol station.

There are three categories of mower

1) Decent expensive ones. They have Honda engines, or decent Briggs engines. They are expensive, and your grandchildren with thank you for buying them as long as you change the oil.

2) Mowers that are perfectly good. You'll get low end Briggs, maybe a Honda. It will work fine, but not be investment grade.

3) Everything else. Avoid.

Key thing is the engine - avoid a no name engine like the plague. You won't be able to get spares for it and it will break.

If I wanted a new mower, I'd go to the biggest mower repair shop I could find and ask what they have second hand. Loads of mid 90s mountfields out there with good Briggs engines that will go on forever if maintained.

Looked up your 454:

• Mountfield RM45 OHV 2.22 kW Petrol engine

So basically, whatever piece of carp engine they could get on a pallet from China. Avoid, it is highly unlikely to work next year.

This is a better idea:

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/hayter-motif-438h-push-4-wheel-lawnmower.html

Bit wider than yours, you could get a narrower one for less. Note that this is not self propelled, might be a problem.

Go S/H IMO.....

Edit - and change the oil yearly without fail. Twice a year if it does a lot of work.

Ours is called 'Mini the Mulcher' - can't be doing with all of those grass cuttings!

"Grass cutting in the UK using a mulching lawnmower has become much more popular over recent summers. Several factors are likely to have contributed to this, most notably the environmental benefits from returning grass cuttings back into your lawn. This simultaneously reduces the need to dispose of them via a black bag to your local refuse dump, adding to the positive environmental effects. While grass clippings can be disposed of through your compost heap, you do need to ensure that you mix them in with dryer brown materials such as wood chippings or dead leaves to prevent your pile becoming too damp to compost efficiently. And why compost when your clippings can benefit your lawn immediately with almost no effort at all?! Given this, it's really no surprise that mulching mowers have become so popular in the last few years.

Of course it should be noted that the environmental impact isn’t the only benefit you’ll find when you use a mulching mower. The fine mulch layer will reduce evaporation from the surface of the soil, giving you a more consistent moisture level. This means that even in the summer months there’s a significantly reduced need to water the lawn. As you won’t be using a grass box when you mulch you also won’t need to stop mowing in order to empty any clippings. For those with particularly large gardens this aspect can be laborious and time consuming, so you’ll find mulching mowers allow you to achieve a much faster cut".

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/category/mulching-mowers

Guest eight

There are three categories of mower

I used to work for a lawnmower manufacturer. I think it's correct to say that Briggs & Stratton were the only supplier that we had zero price negotiating power with. You either stumped up or you didn't get engines.

No money, no honey.

No, they were not named after Patrick Mower, but ...

_82504935_82504934.jpg

23 April 2015

The inventor of the lawn-mower has been honoured with a commemorative plaque on the site of his workshop.

Engineer Edwin Beard Budding patented his world-first design in 1830.

A plaque marking his achievement has been put on a wall of the Stroud Brewery in Thrupp, Gloucestershire, which stands on the original workshop site.

He got the idea from the cross cutting machines used to finish woollen cloth in the Stroud valleys' textile mills.

The plaque was donated to Stroud District Council by Chris Biddle, editor of trade magazine Service Dealer, and was unveiled by David Withers, president of lawn-mower manufacturer Ransomes Jacobsen.

Ransomes acquired the first manufacturing licence for Budding's lawn-mower in 1832.

Mr Withers said: "It's amazing that his invention is pretty much unchanged, nobody's found a better way of doing this than he found in 1830."

Mr Biddle said: "The visual impact of Wimbledon, Lord's, Wembley or any golf course, they are immaculately turned out, and it's all down to this guy's vision nearly 200 years ago."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-32427078

A neighbour of mine has had an Atco petrol mower for 20 years - still going strong, cuts very well and gives good stripes. However, the roller has worn and he was decided to get a new one.

So he ordered a new Atco for £370 and when it arrived it was simply too heavy. To be frank, and I no expert, I felt it did not cut as good as the old one. So I think you need to think about weight.

My neighbour used this mower once and then, about 3 or 4 weeks after buying, he rang them up and told them that it was too heavy. To be fair to the firm they asked him to take it to their dealer in Carmarthen, 30 miles away, and they would offer something for it. No idea what they would offer but at least they were interested in doing so. To be frank, my friend should have sent it backk straigth away.

However, a friend of his was also about to buy a mower and my neighbour just sold it to him for £250. I think that is a win for him.

Anyhow, my point of this post is to say that the 20 year Acto is still going strong, motor runs smoothly - neighbours has had it serviced every year - and if it was not for the roller being worn I can see no reason why it would not go on for another 20 years. However, I was not impressed with the replacement and how it cut - but that could simply be because it was too big/heavy.

... and after all that I'm going to go with a push cylinder mower as per crash monitors post. Reason is my wife now works in the industry and has contacts so I will soon be consumer testing one for FREE forever :D

That's £240 unspent, feeling very happy!

... and after all that I'm going to go with a push cylinder mower as per crash monitors post. Reason is my wife now works in the industry and has contacts so I will soon be consumer testing one for FREE forever :DThat's £240 unspent, feeling very happy!

Your wife works in the grass industry?

Has she just snatched this mower against an unpaid drug debt?

Your wife works in the grass industry?

Has she just snatched this mower against an unpaid drug debt?

Quiet now... something like that (actually more bartering than anything else and behind closed doors) ;)

Less grass, more snatch.

Rude :D

A relative with a field used to have a Honda Grass Manager

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/honda-um536-eb-professional-grass-manager.html

It ran faultlessly for 15 years with only the occasional oil change and a bit of welding. Based on that, I have a deep respect for the quality of Honda garden machinery. It's probably a bit OTT for the typical garden, but it will impress the neighbours.