House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Bbc Ppv What Would You Buy?

Ok say the BBC goes Pay to view, and assuming they don't bundle the odd diamond amongst a sea of turds, what you pay for and how much?

Me: Top Gear but only with Clarkson. Lets say a fiver for the series.

Maybe some of the nature stuff, but only the good stuff, none of the Coast filler crap again around a fiver for a series.

Most of the stuff I've chosen to watch over the last decade has been through dodgy downloads. I have no idea what channel my favourite programs originally appeared on and if the abiliity to download the occasional BBC gem DRM-free from iPlayer disappeared I wouldn't sweat it.

Over the last couple of years I've enjoyed...

• House of fools
  • Inside No. 9
  • In The Flesh
  • A couple of Louis Theroux things

I'd probably be better off with an Amazon Prime subscription.

Just about everything that I watch.

Off the top of my head.. just the ones that spring to mind:

Doctor Who

The Apprentice

Death in Paradise

Stacks of documentaries

Springwatch/Autumnwatch

Much of BBC4's content

Some Radio 4 content

Apart from "Ice Road Truckers" which is pretty mundane and samey now, and "The Hotel Inspector" which is fun sometimes - I'm not sure there is anything on the other channels, is there? No BBC, no TV..

Radio 6, 4 + 4 Extra.

I watch very little BBC TV. Over the last couple of years, the BBC has totally disappeared from my watching habits.

I watch CH5 Gotham, a couple of E4 progrs. And tahts it. Im watching less TV, much less broadcast TV and sodall BBC TV.

I don't think Im exceptional. The BBC has a very ig existential problem at the moment - theyve lost the unrefiend to SKY, the refined to internet streaming and there's very little in the middle.

I was about to post defending all the great BBC I watch and then I realise it's barely anything as everyone says. I often have Eastenders on as background noise but I could definitely live without and wouldn't feel like opening my wallet and typing my credit numbers in to get it.

Top Gear, yes.

Otherwise...

Only Connect

University Challenge

Call the Midwife (my girlfriend likes it but it's inoffensive enough for me to site through it)

The Fall

In side No. 9 (or whatever Pemberton and Shearsmith have come up with)

There also plenty of others from recent years, Waking the Dead, Mighty Boosh.

Couldn't see myself paying for any of those individually however*. Although if the license fee became a subscription service like Sky I'd be temped to keep it going.

* Having said that I do have DVD's of all the Waking the Dead series and a few others, so technically I have made that choice in the past.

Hardly watch any of it....never been much of a TV lover.....what I do watch is something I missed but thought worth watching on iPlayer, what I want when I want....BBC radio is the thing I would miss mostly both in car, work and at home, sometimes music sometimes news and talk and sometimes phone-ins.....radio means can be doing other useful things whilst still listening.

Internet radio is a great tool....access to thousands of radio programmes from all over the country and the world.

I watch very little BBC TV. Over the last couple of years, the BBC has totally disappeared from my watching habits.

I watch CH5 Gotham, a couple of E4 progrs. And tahts it. Im watching less TV, much less broadcast TV and sodall BBC TV.

I don't think Im exceptional. The BBC has a very ig existential problem at the moment - theyve lost the unrefiend to SKY, the refined to internet streaming and there's very little in the middle.

I think this is widespread.

Match of the Day and Top Gear are the only BBC things I record (never watch live TV at all anymore). Occasionally I'll watch a factual series if it looks interesting. "The origin of us", "The men who made us fat" and "The men who made us spend" were good last year but there's plenty as good on youtube.

This year is probably the first year I have watched youtube more than traditional TV.

Doctor Who.

The BBC news website.

My other half loves Strictly Come Dancing.

I'd pay a subscription for the nature programs, even if I rarely watch them, because I believe that it's a worthwhile cause to support.

That's all.

If it was a fiver a month I'd probably keep it. Only really watch Top Gear, Dr Who and some documentaries. Watched a few things recently that I wouldn't pay for, like Poldark for example (and I only kept watching that cos Eleanor Tomlinson is fit).

Oh, forgot F1. I wish the FIA would do their own live streaming service though, I'd be happy to pay for that rather than Sky. I would do the Sky Now TV but their weekend (or is it day?) passes are too expensive at £10 a go last time I looked. Rarely watch MOTD now as I just stream my teams games live.

If it was a fiver a month I'd probably keep it. Only really watch Top Gear, Dr Who and some documentaries. Watched a few things recently that I wouldn't pay for, like Poldark for example (and I only kept watching that cos Eleanor Tomlinson is fit).

Oh, forgot F1. I wish the FIA would do their own live streaming service though, I'd be happy to pay for that rather than Sky. I would do the Sky Now TV but their weekend (or is it day?) passes are too expensive at £10 a go last time I looked. Rarely watch MOTD now as I just stream my teams games live.

That's about the level that Farage was suggesting. Taking it down to this level would naturally stop a lot of the waste and Farage would also force them to drop the thinly-disguised propaganda that masquerades as news.

This would take it back to being the BBC as it was in the 70s and 80s; a proper public service broadcaster and at that point, whilst I don't miss the telly at present, I would probably get one (and a licence), if only to halt people's incredulity on hearing that I don't have a telly.

That's about the level that Farage was suggesting. Taking it down to this level would naturally stop a lot of the waste and Farage would also force them to drop the thinly-disguised propaganda that masquerades as news.

This would take it back to being the BBC as it was in the 70s and 80s; a proper public service broadcaster and at that point, whilst I don't miss the telly at present, I would probably get one (and a licence), if only to halt people's incredulity on hearing that I don't have a telly.

All that stuff you dislike is the cheap stuff, so that's all that would remain.

All that stuff you dislike is the cheap stuff, so that's all that would remain.

Then I wouldn't be paying!

Chop Eastenders, paying for big films and sporting events that would be anyway covered by the commercial channels. Drop Radio 1, BBC 3, BBC website, vast layers of management, sell off most capital assets. Simple.

Then I wouldn't be paying!

Chop Eastenders, paying for big films and sporting events that would be anyway covered by the commercial channels. Drop Radio 1, BBC 3, BBC website, vast layers of management, sell off most capital assets. Simple.

Drop the website including the ability to watch online? Also the website shows adverts to overseas viewers (at least the news pages did last time I looked at them from abroad, not tried watching any programmes), so there's a chance that it might pay its way.