House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Exercise 'not Key To Obesity Fight'

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699

Physical activity has little role in tackling obesity - and instead public health messages should squarely focus on unhealthy eating, doctors say.

About time too.

But despite this public health messaging had "unhelpfully" focused on maintaining a healthy weight through calorie counting when it was the source of calories that mattered most - research has shown that diabetes increases 11-fold for every 150 additional sugar calories consumed compared to fat calories.

I shall be watching the London Marathon on Sunday. Which will no doubt be run mainly by enormously fat people proving this article correct.

They're taking an epidemiological view of it. From a statistical perspective, getting people to eat better/less seems to work for weight loss whereas promoting exercise doesn't. People who exercise a lot weigh less, but advertising campaigns don't make people exercise more is the summary.

Lack of exercise and eating too much crap both contribute a lot to being fat but it could well be that the eating part is the bigger contributer. The problem is then people latch on to that and take it to the extreme, treating "biggest cause" (even if it's, say, 55% food, 45% lack of exercise) and act as if it's the only thing that matters.

Just because exercise isn't key to the obesity fight, doesn't mean exercise isn't extremely beneficial for your health.

Unfortunately some will take this headline as being a reason not to bother their **** exercising.

Just because exercise isn't key to the obesity fight, doesn't mean exercise isn't extremely beneficial for your health.

Unfortunately some will take this headline as being a reason not to bother their **** exercising.

I suspect that would be entirely people who have already decided never to exercise. I've always though the way to advertise exercise was to try and persuade people that it's fun, and forget about trying to persuade them it's good for them in some way.

I suspect that would be entirely people who have already decided never to exercise. I've always though the way to advertise exercise was to try and persuade people that it's fun, and forget about trying to persuade them it's good for them in some way.

Well she's up for it ...

Fat-Woman-Excercing-2.jpg

"They said while activity was a key part of staving off diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and dementia, its impact on obesity was minimal."

i'm currently doing the Atkins diet

A very strict low carb diet (20g carb a day on induction) i did it a few years ago as well.

It's fantastic and you dont go hungry at all in fact you eat liberally.

The premise is to get your body into Ketosis (the process of burning bodyfat for energy instead of ingested carbs with i the primary source usually)

In 6 days ive gone down 9lbs probably water weight at first but i lost 2.5 stone on this back in 2008.

The doctors in the article are correct it is carbohydrate intake and sugar intake (often go hand in hand) that is causing the obesity.

They're taking an epidemiological view of it. From a statistical perspective, getting people to eat better/less seems to work for weight loss whereas promoting exercise doesn't. People who exercise a lot weigh less, but advertising campaigns don't make people exercise more is the summary.

Yes, I think it makes sense.

What's easier for someone? Change the components of meals they regularly eat, or create a new exercise habit?

With this stuff you've got to start small and easy.

I don't have the healthiest diet and could do with losing a couple of stone. It's highly likely that I'll get more exercise after I've moved house, and just as likely my diet won't change. Let's see what happens.

I don't have the healthiest diet and could do with losing a couple of stone. It's highly likely that I'll get more exercise after I've moved house, and just as likely my diet won't change. Let's see what happens.

Right.........you're it. We will be watching with interest. Keep us informed!

Where is ccc?

i'm currently doing the Atkins diet

A very strict low carb diet (20g carb a day on induction) i did it a few years ago as well.

It's fantastic and you dont go hungry at all in fact you eat liberally.

The premise is to get your body into Ketosis (the process of burning bodyfat for energy instead of ingested carbs with i the primary source usually)

In 6 days ive gone down 9lbs probably water weight at first but i lost 2.5 stone on this back in 2008.

The doctors in the article are correct it is carbohydrate intake and sugar intake (often go hand in hand) that is causing the obesity.

But it isn't sustainable else you wouldn't have put weight back on.

Weight-loss and weight-maintenance require different strategies. Atkins addressed this.

Correct!!!

Yes there is an

induction phase

pre maintainance phase

then a maintainance phase.

My weakness is Lager and Pizza (when ive had 6 bottles lol)

Also i started bodybuilding and vastly increased my calorie intake to get bigger did this for 3yrs and didnt really eat "clean" enough hence put a bit back on.

Its quite easy to stick to once you get in the mindset that carbs are your enemy.

Edit: i recomend the book Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution plenty of info on the Atkins website & forum too

Some of the logic in the article regarding not just assuming you can eat what you want as long as you exercise is perfectly sensible. However the 'headline' of 'exercise aint really important' is nuts.

Maybe its just a headline and the actual study was a bit more reasonable.

Non need to "exercise", normal daily activity such as walking, cycling, gardening, carrying shopping home is plenty enough activity to keep healthy.

Non need to "exercise", normal daily activity such as walking, cycling, gardening, carrying shopping home is plenty enough activity to keep healthy.

Healthy, perhaps. But it doesn't stop you getting fat (as witness my paunch).

Plenty of thin people who don't exercise who are a lot unhealthier than 'bigger' (not obese) who do.

I've done the fasting (ketosis) re the Durch days - kept it off as well (20 weeks 4 days-ish a week in Year 1 and 12 weeks in Year 2 losing around 3 stone in total). Started heavy cardio and weightlifting in Year 2 and have gone up by more than a stone but no increase in waist size - all muscle (or subcutaneous fat)!

Right.........you're it. We will be watching with interest. Keep us informed!

Where is ccc?

Looks like I've committed myself there...

Perhaps I should've mentioned that there's a good pub nearby that I'll end up walking past most times I get up on to a hill.