House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

Motorists Urged Not To Panic-buy

and now aparently some stations have ran out of fuel due to panic buying, so tell me.. were the panic buyers right ?

panic buying is a clear sign that people cant trust the government to look after them.

the first sniff of personal danger and whoop. buy everything you can as fast as you can.

houses, petrol. its all the same to the uk.

weve been totally thatchered....

and now aparently some stations have ran out of fuel due to panic buying, so tell me.. were the panic buyers right ?

Yes.

I have 20 ltrs of spare fuel in a jerry can. I would like to have 100 but I am a mere student. My car rarely is less than half full and that is only because my missus isn't as strict as I am.

If you honestly think that the government will keep you fed or keep the fuel running or the power on you are a victim waiting to happen.

BTW I have 2 months supply of water and 1 month of food and 3 months supply of date paper (it was on special). If anything like this happened here I'd laugh. If I thought that it was short lived I'd sell some at highly inflated prices.

BTW I have 2 months supply of water and 1 month of food and 3 months supply of date paper (it was on special). If anything like this happened here I'd laugh. If I thought that it was short lived I'd sell some at highly inflated prices.

If it was seen by people around you who had nothing that you had anything you'd get bttered to death for what you had.

If it was seen by people around you who had nothing that you had anything you'd get bttered to death for what you had.

DO you honestly think that my neighbours know?

Not even my missus knows the full extent of our supplies.

Honestly. If you do not have a fully stocked larder, some spare water (come on it's dirt cheap. Clean some plastic soft drink bottles out and fill it up from the tap) and spare toiletries you are a victim waiting to happen.

Hell, it doesnt even need to be The End of The World As We Know It. It could be a job loss. Imagine you lost your job. Social doesn't ask you how much food you have? No they ask about money. Oh no, i've got very little money (but don't need to pay for food for 6 months).

You don't need to spend a lot of money or time.

My money is that no one reading this post will even buy an extra tin of beans now in the good times even though the general consensus is that we about to enter difficult economic times. I hope that I am wrong but if I'm not you are in deep trouble. Of course so would I but not as deep as you. ;)

Just keep in mind. My tank is at least half full (actually it's full) and I have a spare 20 ltrs. What have you got?

If the shops closed for a month how long until your tummy started rumbling?

If the taps stopped magically producing water how long would you survive? (hint - not long)

DO you honestly think that my neighbours know?

do worry about your neighbours. you can pre-empt then late one night with an axe.

its the wandering hungry young ferrel street gangs that will get your food and torture you for kicks you should worry about.

while everyone queues for the last drop at the petrol station, i will wander over to tescos and buy the cooking oil :P

mosdt diesel engines will run perfectly well without adjustment on cooking oil, and every diesel will run on it with some adjustment.

If the shops closed for a month how long until your tummy started rumbling?

If the shops close for a month, where are you going to buy your copy of "Guns and Ammo"? :P:P

If the petrol ever ran out like that, how much driving do you think you'll be doing? I hope it's a monster truck you've got, otherwise it's going to be a bit tricky avoiding all the abandoned cars that will be littering the roads.

So much for the Brit war spirit....cups of tea all round....lots of mutual generosity....tolerance....waiting in line dutifully.....share and share alike......charity.....help your neighbour....feed the homeless... etc etc.

Fast wind forward to 2005: A relatively small (in global terms) fire and a bit of oil is up in smoke. Every man for himself. Queues of 4x4's all buying 800 Litres of premium, just in case, and s0d everyone else. Yes folks, the spirit of co-operation and civilised restraint is all part of that unique Britishness!

VP

thank you thatcher.

and thank any of you that bought shares in the 80s and BTLs now, that ever bought into thinking that capitalist values mean winners and losers in the workplace AND not winners and losers socially.

you cant break a ship into parts and complain that it wont float anymore.

Fuel isn't going to "run out" forever (ignoring peak oil).

Roving gangs are of course a concern but that's where not walking around with your eyes closed comes in.

I do worry about my neighbours. What I am saying is that they do not know that I have plenty of food and water hoarded. If food and water were to be a problem I would be the biggest whinger about it "o I am so hungry. Why doesn't the government do something?" etc

VacantPossession - Those ideals are long dead. It's been every man woman and child for themselves for quite a while now. It would be nice to go back to the community ethos but I won't hold my breath.

Anyhow. It's your choice. Follow the Just In Time inventory system iif you like

I'm not planning for the end of the world as we know it. Just planning for a brief interuption to supplies (food / water / fuel). I can't see it getting any worse than this. Argentina is probably my worst case scenario.

Should it ever come to canabalism I we are all in a lot of trouble. :blink:

Speaking of panic buying, i heard a news story on the radio whle driving down the M6 this morning, some 'experts' are saying that the government is targeting the wrong groups of people if there was ever a flu pandemic, they say if approximately 25% of food delivery drivers got sick/do not turn up there would be chaos, what they need to be doing is making sure that the "key worker" food store truck drivers stay healthy so supplies would still get to the stores from their distribution centres to prevent panic buying.

So when it comes to housing i am not a key worker, but if people are in danger of not getting their cornflakes in the morning i am now classed as a key worker.