House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Bbc Ranting

Because of the unique way it is funded it can carry on churning out poorly disguised propaganda whilst everyone else is watching Game of Thrones.

Because of the unique way it is funded it can carry on churning out poorly disguised propaganda whilst everyone else is watching Game of Thrones.

At one time is did uniquely "inform, educate, and entertain". I think they have lost it. :o

Can you imagine how the BBC will be - again - if Milibland wins.

It won't be as good as listening to "Round The Horne", or early morning cricket matches from Australia.

I don't want to listen about tractor production figures! For that we had Radio Tirana from Albania.

Can you imagine how the BBC will be - again - if Milibland wins.

Watching the Beeb over the last couple of days it seems like the Common Purpose sleepers have been activated in anticipation of their lord and master Miliband being the next prime minister. There is certainly a Miliband love in at the moment, esp. on Newsnight.

I think the situation with the Beeb is much worse than is suggested. A bit like the way there's been a sea change in people not wanting to visit hangar sized out of town supermarkets. Although you can see quite a few reasons and changes in behaviour there's no real clear underlying explanation for such a monumental shift in habits.

Same with the BBC, so much used to be an absolute must watch, and not only has it slightly waned, it's slipped to the point of being barely relevant despite its enormous budget. I get the feeling that even with a full blown MSM news push of everyone is watching this allegedly gripping Eastenders plot, or similar, that the reality is many just aren't.

I think the situation with the Beeb is much worse than is suggested. A bit like the way there's been a sea change in people not wanting to visit hangar sized out of town supermarkets. Although you can see quite a few reasons and changes in behaviour there's no real clear underlying explanation for such a monumental shift in habits.

Same with the BBC, so much used to be an absolute must watch, and not only has it slightly waned, it's slipped to the point of being barely relevant despite its enormous budget. I get the feeling that even with a full blown MSM news push of everyone is watching this allegedly gripping Eastenders plot, or similar, that the reality is many just aren't.

TV has changed full stop. Huge audiences are a thing of the past. Few shows ever make it to 10M viewers these days.

Something as banale as Blind Date got axed when it started to slip down towards 10M. The days of 20M people tuning in to see the big EastEnders reveal on Chrisymas day will never return.

Surely people are also paying less attention to msm news in general?

I watched the new "Ice Age Giants" documentary show last night, and while enjoyable in a way, it didn't have much informational content. There was some really second rate CGI, but mostly it was Alice Roberts playing dress-up. Here's actic explorer Alice to explain what ice is, here's cowboy Alice to show you what the Nevada desert looks like, here's lumberjack Alice to show you what forest looks like.

I watched the new "Ice Age Giants" documentary show last night, and while enjoyable in a way, it didn't have much informational content. There was some really second rate CGI, but mostly it was Alice Roberts playing dress-up. Here's actic explorer Alice to explain what ice is, here's cowboy Alice to show you what the Nevada desert looks like, here's lumberjack Alice to show you what forest looks like.

Is that Alice "look how much money I made from my house" Roberts from the telegraph fame and fortune section?

You are Mr Mulligan of Roehampton and I claim my £5

Clearly none of you have ever watched that utter tripe on SKY which passes as news.

Clicked onto it the other day to see what their take on something was - it's like being in a meerkat advert and that was the brief interval between the adverts with a patronising bint called Kay someone or other? and a fat bad bloke? Apparently they're political journos. No wonder Australia is such a f*ck up.

Havn't watched telly for years. Everything is on demand now, why would you? Even news broadcasts you can get in the snippets you're actually interested in.

I've seen it on iPlayer and it all seems pretty glib or overly stately (with the CGI prehistoric animals novelty worn out when Walking With Dinosaurs was from about 16 years ago) and with even another BBC show mocking its formula:

^ Love it.

Incidentally, Charlie Brooker is going to do an Election Wipe hour special on the Wednesday before the election. Philomena will be on it. I don't agree with his politics but he is funny (generally).

We haven't yet had someone come on and say 'Harumph, all you Beeb haters, I suppose you'd prefer Fox News, wouldn't you?' thus completely missing the point of the anti-BBC argument, which is about funding, not content.

Anyway, I think what's happened is the BBC has started to wake up to the fact that they are no longer regarded as the 'go to' source for news and entertainment. This is partly just because there's more competition, but also growing discontent from certain sections of the populace over perceived bias. Nigel Farage openly attacked the BBC for left wing bias during the Parliamentary TV debate - something that would have been hard to imagine a few years ago. I think it's got a few people in the Beeb quite worried, hence why they are organising love-ins and getting Chris Martin to warble on about his favourite telly programmes.