House Price Crash Forum

Overtaking Gti Retirees

OurDayWillCome

HOLA441

Thought I would add another one to the driving theme.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Your driving behind an over 60 who is in a sports engine car on a 60mph road. They are doing 40mph so you keep a respectful distance until it is safe to overtake. When you do try to overtake they use their powerful engine to prevent you getting past them - I have had some idiots hit speeds of 80mph. When someone overtakes me I take my foot off the accelerator and let them get on with it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Thought I would add another one to the driving theme.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Your driving behind an over 60 who is in a sports engine car on a 60mph road. They are doing 40mph so you keep a respectful distance until it is safe to overtake. When you do try to overtake they use their powerful engine to prevent you getting past them - I have had some idiots hit speeds of 80mph. When someone overtakes me I take my foot off the accelerator and let them get on with it.

Don't we all?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Only overtake trucks or Kia picantos. Assume all other cars are wolfs in sheep's clothing or unmarked police cars.

----

Overtaking is an ego thing. If you get over taken, that is an admission that your ***** is smaller than theirs, at the most basic level. You are an inferior human being. They are better than you. Man and Machine as one. It was an accumulation of skill, timing, and the best car you could buy, pitted against each other. They won, and you lost. You are a failure. Sad, but it is true - but there's no prize money, it wasn't a race....or was it?

^did this happen on the road today?

HOLA445

Only overtake trucks or Kia picantos. Assume all other cars are wolfs in sheep's clothing or unmarked police cars.

----

Overtaking is an ego thing. If you get over taken, that is an admission that your ***** is smaller than theirs, at the most basic level. You are an inferior human being. They are better than you. It was an accumulation of skill, timing, and the best car you could buy, pitted against each other. They won, and you lost. You are a failure. Sad, but it is true - but there's no prize money, it wasn't a race.

And who wants to get to their desk even quicker?

HOLA446
HOLA447

In response to the OP, many 60+ drivers tend to have decent cars. As 'Baby Boomers' they have benefited from reasonable housing costs and decent pensions in some cases.

I notice too that they give their shiny status symbols the beans...a bit like reliving the halcyon days of furry dice, slotmags, CB radios, souped up Capris and the such.

Perhaps not letting others overtake where the roads allow - or progress - is probably a hard wired baby boomer 'f*** everyone else, I'm alright Jack' personality trait? :unsure:

HOLA448

concur with much of this thread, the boomer attitude doesn't surprise me. I always dab the brakes when being overtaken even if I'm miffed I'm being overtaken. I don't want the other bloke to die, whoever he is.

In my 2003 Honda crv with a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing 2 litre ivtec engine I overtook a big shiny merc with a boomer in it on the motorway, turns out my car is faster than his (or at least much better acceleration at motorway speeds up an incline), he didn't like it at all, all gesticulating and hand waving at me as I cruised past while his car struggled up the hill after he finally pulled over to the middle lane to let me through.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If I am behind someone doing 50mph in a 60mph I do not feel the need to overtake. If I am behind someone doing 40mph and braking for minor bends I keep my distance and overtake when safe. If someone wants to overtake me even if I am bang on the speed limit I let them - if I am in a line of traffic and I clock someone in my mirror overtaking lots of cars I create a bigger gap between me and the car in front in case they have to nip in quick. It really does not bother me if people overtake - I do not understand why some people get so riled that they get all Mad Max about it - as an observation it tends to be the over 60's who do this.

HOLA4412

I am past my 60th birthday and drive a Jaguar X Type 2.5 petrol. When I am not riding a Triumph Thunderbird900. If someone is pulling out to overtake me I act in whatever way is necessary to make their manouver safe. I don't want to be part of their crash.

Of course some of my generation are utter c0cks. The same people were utter c0cks when I was at school with them. The generation after mine will also have its' share of such people. A carreer that involved driving to multiple places of work has convinced me that every generation and every race is issued with a percentage of people whose personality defects and personal inadaquacies are reflected in their driving.

Stay calm, don't become part of their crash.

HOLA4413

Travelling regularly along the A5 in North Wales it is quite normal for long lines of traffic to form behind sometimes surprising vehicles, not just trucks, vans and buses, I'm guessing due to local knowledge of speed traps.

This bunching can result in almost comedy like acceleration between 30mph/40mph/50mph and National Speed Limit zones.

Quite often mostly elderly drivers in powerful cars will step on the gas at warp factor then cruise close to the speed limit. You will see frustrated overtakers eventually either take stupid risks or given the chance of clear road hit speeds well over the limit.

Just last week I was in a queue of around a dozen cars heading towards Betwys-Y-Coed near Cerrigydrudion following a white Volvo V60 D5 which resolutely stuck to speed limits and was very polite to bikers, pretty much inviting them to pass whilst keeping well to the left - but At The Speed Limit.

It seems everybody had him weighed up as traffic police and nobody would pass.

This Volvo pulled into the Shell garage in Betwys and I did too, it was an elderly couple in the car not police. Shows how wary people are of being caught speeding in North Wales.

Driving back towards Llandudno in yet another queue of solemn speed limit observation there was a whitevan behind a BMW Z4 3.0 coupe that made a couple of lunges trying to pass before bends, before coming onto a very clear straight and passing that must have hit 80mph+ in a 60mph zone before disappearing.

The BMW was driven by an elderly man that did his best to keep the van from passing prior to the straight by accelerating hard then braking again for the bends - but keeping below the speed limit.

On the A55 leaving Llandudno for home I spotted a long queue of 50mph traffic, all very well behaved, behind me in the mirror I spotted a blue VW Golf R which looked like it was doing 70mph+. Quite daring !

From nowhere a white BMW 530d Touring with Police markings flashed its blue roof lights and pulled the Golf R into the first available lay-by - maybe a warning - probably a ticket.

Its something I've noticed quite a lot in Wales lately, powerful cars, elderly drivers, rigidly observing speed limits but acting like Sir Stirling Moss where they have the opportunity - without risking a speeding fine, meanwhile ordinary road users just want to travel from A to B.

...Oh and there's always the odd 50+something 130mph biker from Staffordshire or somewhere that flys passing everything until grabbed by the waiting North Wales Traffic Police to end up all over the papers.

HOLA4414

I am past my 60th birthday and drive a Jaguar X Type 2.5 petrol. When I am not riding a Triumph Thunderbird900. If someone is pulling out to overtake me I act in whatever way is necessary to make their manouver safe. I don't want to be part of their crash.

Not having a dig at everyone, was just an observation regarding that scenario of speeding up to stop someone getting past. The people who overtake a line of traffic recklessly tend to be in their 40s.

HOLA4415

Travelling regularly along the A5 in North Wales it is quite normal for long lines of traffic to form behind sometimes surprising vehicles, not just trucks... ...Just last week I was in a queue of around a dozen cars heading towards Betwys-Y-Coed near Cerrigydrudion.

These are the same roads that I experience the problem on.

HOLA4416

In my 2003 Honda crv with a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing 2 litre ivtec engine

I quite like the look of these earlier CRVs that have black bumpers which are a different colour to the rest of the car. Look even better than CRVs with colour coded bumpers. :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

When driving a less powerful car.

There's a Schumacher trick if you are being tailgated and you don't want to let them pass on a narrow road. If you are coming up to a bend, brake slightly earlier and harder, and take a slightly wider line. Then after touching the apex, accelerate away, this forces them to lose momentum and you make them frustrated.

Then I turned off the Playstation 2.

HOLA4419

These are the same roads that I experience the problem on.

Yep, the A5 is notorious. Almost inevitably when cycling back from Capel Curig towards Llyn Ogwen there will be some knob on the opposite side of the road trying to overtake a stretch of a dozen cars before the next bend. It's North Wales, for crissakes, ease up and enjoy the incredible scenery.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

If I am behind someone doing 50mph in a 60mph I do not feel the need to overtake. If I am behind someone doing 40mph and braking for minor bends I keep my distance and overtake when safe. If someone wants to overtake me even if I am bang on the speed limit I let them - if I am in a line of traffic and I clock someone in my mirror overtaking lots of cars I create a bigger gap between me and the car in front in case they have to nip in quick. It really does not bother me if people overtake - I do not understand why some people get so riled that they get all Mad Max about it - as an observation it tends to be the over 60's who do this.

How dare this upstart over take me. The chinese call it "losing face". There must be a hidden highway code that if you drive a luxury motor, it is shameful to be over taken? Or to be over taken by a younger driver - like the Lion that heads his family and his wives must see off challenges from the younger males to assert his hierarchy in the territory.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yep, the A5 is notorious. Almost inevitably when cycling back from Capel Curig towards Llyn Ogwen there will be some knob on the opposite side of the road trying to overtake a stretch of a dozen cars before the next bend. It's North Wales, for crissakes, ease up and enjoy the incredible scenery.

The A4 can be as bad although it tends to be the A3 drivers who are the worst.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived