House Price Crash Forum

The Emperor's New Clothes - Russell Brand Film

Errol

HOLA441

Russell Brand and Michael Winterbottom team up for a compelling documentary that asks sizeable questions ahead of the UK general election.

Across the film's running time, his main thrust is the 2008 collapse of the financial system, and the consequences - or lack of - that followed. As such, there are moments where Brand heads into the offices of banking giants such as HSBC and Lloyds, and gets the shrift you expect him to get. He contrasts this by finding stories of people working every hour, yet struggling to make ends meet. And of a looter during the London riots of 2011, comparing his treatment to that of the banking fraternity.

The Emperor's New Clothes is in UK cinemas from April 24th. It's also screening in cinemas around the UK tonight (April 21st), followed by a live streamed Russell Brand Q&A.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-emperors-new-clothes/35058/the-emperors-new-clothes-review

Further review:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/emperors-new-clothes-film-review-russell-brand-documentary-is-more-lucid-than-most-party-political-broadcasts-10194335.html

the-emperors-new-clothes-final-quad.jpg?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

HPC. Always hating people.

Yeah, like him or loathe him, and whatever his personal motivations may be the message is an important one (not seen the film and probably won't bother personally).

I don't agree with everything he says, but having seen a few of his trews reports I think he mostly talks sense (last one I saw was in response to the media reporting of the Charlie Hebdo thing and political hypocracy etc - he was spot on in his analysis).

HOLA4410

Yeah, like him or loathe him, and whatever his personal motivations may be the message is an important one (not seen the film and probably won't bother personally).

I don't agree with everything he says, but having seen a few of his trews reports I think he mostly talks sense (last one I saw was in response to the media reporting of the Charlie Hebdo thing and political hypocracy etc - he was spot on in his analysis).

I assume you are referring to this video ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Why would anyone take seriously a multi-millionaire complaining about the '1%'?

Because he has the resources to actually get his message out. "The Trews" is often irritatingly narcissistic, and any suggestions of solutions/actions are usually hopelessly simplistic. He does make a good job of drawing attention to the perception management of our society and questioning the assumptions about the world that flow from that, and I really like that aspect of what he's doing.

HOLA4413

Why would anyone take seriously a multi-millionaire complaining about the '1%'?

Does the fact you are a multi-millionaire somehow prevent you from pointing out the obvious failings in the current system? I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

It's like the guest on HIGNFY who claimed that the Occupy protestors buying coffee from Starbucks were somehow thereby excluding themselves from having any view on the corporate sector or the Occupy movement's ideas.

HOLA4414

Brand's interview with Milliband -

Again, we may not like Brand but it's a good enough interview. A lot of what he (Brand) says echoes strongly with the electorate and he is someone who can reach a wide audience and get media attention.

HOLA4415

Brand's interview with Milliband -

Again, we make not like Brand but it's a good enough interview. A lot of what he (Brand) says echoes strongly with the electorate and he is someone who can reach a wide audience and get media attention.

I like Brand, but that was embarrassing for both of them.

Archived