House Price Crash Forum

Homeowners Could Face Early Rise In Interest Rates If Ed Miliband Is Propped Up By The Snp, Warn Morgan Stanley

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

Surely if you were Ed or Dave, you would look to cobble together support for a minority govt with a mish mash of Plaid, DUP, LibDems etc. Being dependent upon 1 major supporting party (SNP) would give them the 'whip hand'. A coalition of minor parties could be 'bought' relatively easily. If one of them walks out 'on principle', there'll be others out there to replace them.

UK Polling Report advanced seat calculator indicates something like:

Tory 281

Labour 284

Libdem 21

Plaid 4

SNP 43

DUP and NI parties 18

Green/Other 2

That gives Labour/SNP a one seat majority. A mish mash won't do it unless Lab or Con get well at least 300 seats. It aint happening unless they get well up into the upper 30 percents. Both are stuck on 33 to 35%.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

UK Polling Report advanced seat calculator indicates something like:

Tory 281

Labour 284

Libdem 21

Plaid 4

SNP 43

DUP and NI parties 18

Green/Other 2

That gives Labour/SNP a one seat majority. A mish mash won't do it unless Lab or Con get well at least 300 seats. It aint happening unless they get well up into the upper 30 percents. Both are stuck on 33 to 35%.

UKIP are desperately underestimated there IMO.

HOLA444

Goldman Sachs are at it as well now
"The bank raised specific concerns that Labour would abolish zero-hours contracts and freeze energy prices, arguing that such a move would be likely to compromise the “flexibility” of British capitalism." The "flexibility of British capitalism" - classic bit of doublespeak. ;)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/us-investment-bank-goldman-sachs-warns-that-a-labour-government-would-be-problematic-for-big-business-10194492.html

HOLA445
Goldman Sachs are at it as well now

"The bank raised specific concerns that Labour would abolish zero-hours contracts and freeze energy prices, arguing that such a move would be likely to compromise the “flexibility” of British capitalism."

That would be the same Goldman Sachs that was bailed out by the US taxpayer? Funny how their concern for the principles of the free market somehow failed to manifest when they were about to go broke due to the proper functioning of that free market. Had AIG been allowed to fail-as the market dictated it must- Goldman's would now be just a bad memory.

Capitalism-like taxes- is only for the 'little people' I guess- for the wealthy and powerful the rules just don't apply.

The spectacle of these overpaid clowns arguing in favor of zero hours contracts is sickening.

HOLA446

UKIP are desperately underestimated there IMO.

5 tops, but I think they'll be second in constituencies across the land, which should $hit the establishment right up!

Personally I'll be happy if Farage wins Thanet and there's an SNP/Labour government, bring on the crash, sow seeds for the future.

HOLA447

That'll be the Giant Squid that helped to arrange a lot of Greece's off balance sheet debt. Look where Greece's economy is now.

Their self serving advice will of course be good for their own interests - but for the good of the majority unlikely.

They'll just threaten to leave if things don't go their way but they'll still stay put.

Edited by billybong

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

interest rate rises would come later.(kind of at step 3/4 below once all business has been drained of the ability to function and compared to other nations,the commercial environment is down the sh1tter...then you will get massive zimbabwe style currency depreciation, and interest rate rises to suit as domestic hyperinflation kicks in)

1) capital flight so less tax receipts

2) milliband tries to recover lost revenue by raising taxes

3) more tax rises means less to spend in the shops, so less tax take

4 )rinse and repeat

5) realise it won't work, but try and convinve the people it is still viable by "persuading " them with more represseive state and police surveillance and "hate speech" type laws to censor criticism- ultimately leading to a few "disapperances"

when will our elected representatives get the hint that "they" DO NOT know best.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4412

We have to end "austerity" it isn't working as pointed out by many on this thread. Debt and deficit still not being touched interest rates at emergency levels.

There is too much debt now across the EU and UK for governments to be able to hid the truth that payments are going to politically explosive, as per Greece.

To really stick it to the LibLabCons vote UKIP, its the one party that they all hate including the Scottish Nats.

HOLA4413

We have to end "austerity" it isn't working as pointed out by many on this thread.

Austerity was a spreadsheet error by American economists. Not to mention the IMF published a paper stating that austerity doesn't work in 2012. Osbooune coke snorter is talking about it for purely ideological reasons.

A Tory party activist told me the deficit was down and the national debt is gone. When I gave the facts to her (£600bn debt added etc), she wriggled like a worm and said "she had to go".

Still the party of economic credibility? Give me a ******ing break.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

For maximum destructive effect, vote UKIP if you are English, SNP if you are Scottish and Plaid Cym-watsit if you are Welsh.

Got to agree and the results might just go your way; if you are renting, don't have any money in UK equities and better still are short on sterling or loaded up with gold Thursday night might just be your night.

On the down side the markets don't believe the polls.......FTSE +7000, sterling + $1.50.

HOLA4416

Austerity was a spreadsheet error by American economists. Not to mention the IMF published a paper stating that austerity doesn't work in 2012. Osbooune coke snorter is talking about it for purely ideological reasons.

A Tory party activist told me the deficit was down and the national debt is gone. When I gave the facts to her (£600bn debt added etc), she wriggled like a worm and said "she had to go".

Unbelievable, aside the blatant lie, how on earth can a debt gone with the deficit hasn't? :blink:

HOLA4417

We have to end "austerity" it isn't working as pointed out by many on this thread. Debt and deficit still not being touched interest rates at emergency levels.

You should understand that "austerity" isn't optional. You either do it under your own terms, or the market eventually forces your hand, see Greece. I'd rather do it under our own terms.

HOLA4418

One thing is for sure, it's been year since the Politics section of the forum has been this busy!

Since the last election at least. :P

i remember what it was like back then: it was like Conservative central office. I fear I may have been One of Them. Think there's a fair bit of feeling of betrayal on this board now.

Edited by EUBanana

HOLA4419

Since the last election at least. :P

i remember what it was like back then: it was like Conservative central office. I fear I may have been One of Them. Think there's a fair bit of feeling of betrayal on this board now.

Hence the rise in UKIP support?

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm NOT a rabid supporter of the SNP, and fear that, given a chance to have influence at Westminster, they will end up joining the Old Boys Club rather than disrupting from within. I'm willing to give 'em a chance though.

The point is, I came to support the SNP after the betrayal of nu labour....

If we're both betrayed by the, ostensibly, middle-right and -left parties, what gives them the right to point the finger and scream 'racist' or 'leftie' when we look to other parties?

It's all f*cked, and although we see the rise in these parties outside the political mainstream, I fear they will eventually be 'assimilated' forcing us to either give up (their preferred option I'm sure) or veer off to the fringe, becoming the bogey-men. The very instrument of fear they use to keep the masses under control....

HOLA4420

Hence the rise in UKIP support?

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm NOT a rabid supporter of the SNP, and fear that, given a chance to have influence at Westminster, they will end up joining the Old Boys Club rather than disrupting from within. I'm willing to give 'em a chance though.

The point is, I came to support the SNP after the betrayal of nu labour....

If we're both betrayed by the, ostensibly, middle-right and -left parties, what gives them the right to point the finger and scream 'racist' or 'leftie' when we look to other parties?

It's all f*cked, and although we see the rise in these parties outside the political mainstream, I fear they will eventually be 'assimilated' forcing us to either give up (their preferred option I'm sure) or veer off to the fringe, becoming the bogey-men. The very instrument of fear they use to keep the masses under control....

I can only speak for myself but it's certainly true of me.

Though the ongoing hatchet job against UKIP is unbelievable, I assume the Scottish independence referendum was like this too. Ultimately I wouldn't expect much though; in Canada the main right wing party disintegrated to be replaced by a UKIP-equivalent, and they immediately went native so not much changed in the long term. Still, giving the powers that be a swift kick to the scruttocks has its own appeal...

HOLA4421

Exactly.

It leaves me amazed to see politicians trying to pretend that some how we can just avoid the economic gravity of our situation. They're all at it.