House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Driver - Right Or Wrong?

Funny. Two wrongs don't make a right and technically both are on the wrong ......but in this situation why not. :)

The Renault driver is a Judge Dredd 'I am the law' d!ckhead

The other driver is well within his rights to use the available lane and filter at the top - as all the others are, the fact the others do not is their business - it is called making progress and is a criteria used in assessing efficient use of the highway in the driving test. It may be galling for the other drivers, but that's simply because they don't know how to drive

There. I've set the cat among the pigeons

Regardless of the law, in this situation I always let one in so everyone gets a turn and every one is moving. A lot of drivers do do that as they can see the logic of it.

It is gualling though if you've waited your turn and someone on the outside does come screaming up, so I can see the Renault driver's pov, great viewing and fair play !

The Renault driver is a Judge Dredd 'I am the law' d!ckhead

The other driver is well within his rights to use the available lane and filter at the top - as all the others are, the fact the others do not is their business - it is called making progress and is a criteria used in assessing efficient use of the highway in the driving test. It may be galling for the other drivers, but that's simply because they don't know how to drive

There. I've set the cat among the pigeons

+ 10

The police advice is use both lanes all the way and filter in at the end. The guy stopping the other one is a dick of the highest order. I had a truck trying to stop me on the way down the M1 years ago. I phoned his company up and advised them of the correct guidelines in these circumstances...hey presto the truck moved like magic.....they must have phoned him. That was an unexpected bonus.!

Edit to add...people who want to stay safe in the biggest queue..follow the crowd..are welcome to their behaviour.

Ugh. This behaviour amongst British drivers drives me nuts. When the engineers were laying out the road works, they clearly put 2 lanes there for a reason. I've been stuck in complete gridlock on the motorway multiple times because conformist morons on a sliproad have insisted on queueing in one lane, thereby creating a blockage on the main road, rather than use both lanes.

+ 10

The police advice is use both lanes all the way and filter in at the end.

Question..

Is that not exactly what the guy in the Renault does in the video?

Guest eight

In my experience, those Mercedes A classes are the new motor of choice for angry chav types. The guy in the scenic is lucky a transit van full of boys with hurty sticks wasn't summoned.

I'd buy a drink for that Renault driver.

The second lane (usually on the other side) is for overtaking slower traffic not for jumping a queue of traffic.

If you all stay in the one lane then everybody moves quicker as there's no long pauses when people filter.

I've heard the argument about not wanting to cause backing up onto a roundabout or other road before used to justify this type of behaviour. It's only applicable if this is actually the case.

Question..

Is that not exactly what the guy in the Renault does in the video?

Highways Act 1980

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [level 3 on the standard scale]

Police observing the renault driver's antics would take a very dim view, as would a magistrate - don't you?

Whats your point?

That the Renault driver is essentially doing what they all supposedly should have been doing.

I'm framing a case that (aside from being slightly erratic about it), the Renault driver is in the right.

There, I've put a cat amongst the pigeons ;)

I'd buy a drink for that Renault driver.

The second lane (usually on the other side) is for overtaking slower traffic not for jumping a queue of traffic.

If you all stay in the one lane then everybody moves quicker as there's no long pauses when people filter.

I've heard the argument about not wanting to cause backing up onto a roundabout or other road before used to justify this type of behaviour. It's only applicable if this is actually the case.

How do you know what's backing up behind you 400 yards back at the roundabout

Where the snarl up occurs is when knobbers take exception at people using the highway correctly and don't filter properly, one from each lane in turn - then instead of a smooth flow through the bottleneck, there's hesitation, nudging in and start/stopping

The renault driver is a cockend

That the Renault driver is essentially doing what they all supposedly should have been doing.

I'm framing a case that (aside from being slightly erratic about it), the Renault driver is in the right.

There, I've put a cat amongst the pigeons ;)Thats knock out Johnnys line

He only pulled out to stop the other guy going past him....he certainly didn`t then proceed to go to the end of the queue..he just slowed down. He is just being a plonker..

Only two people are definitely in the right along with 50% in the right hand lane

I would like to see both lanes full and filtering at the end

The fact that a load of drivers are plonkers brings about this behaviour

These days I try to avoid face to face interactions with UK people whenever possible

Having a long line of nose to tail traffic next to an empty lane just seems bonkers imo

I don't see what's wrong with using both lanes then merging in turn (zip merging) at the pinch point. More efficient use of the road space, no-one gets the hump about other people "queue jumping"

Isn't that what road signs usually tell people to do?

Having a long line of nose to tail traffic next to an empty lane just seems bonkers imo

I don't see what's wrong with using both lanes then merging in turn (zip merging) at the pinch point. More efficient use of the road space, no-one gets the hump about other people "queue jumping"

Isn't that what road signs usually tell people to do?

I agree....problem wth with some drivers they dont even know how to merge without coming to a dead stop and waiting an eternity for a gap big enough for a tank to get in to....

Could have turned nasty. It is galling if you decide to take the queue and others continue up the free lane, but that is your decision to queue.

I have seen lengthy queues on major dual and triple lane roads approaching exits at busy times, only to overtake them and see the slip road has an empty outside lane the queuers are not using.

The danger on the main road is the queue, and people should take care when overtaking it as quuite often, impatient queuers will pull out into the faster traffic quite suddenly, not just, as in the OP to take revenge on the overtakers, but to get out of the queue at all.

Whatever the logic of the queue may be, the obstructing car in this case is guilty of careless and reckless driving, as well as obstruction of the highway without due cause. Attempting to stop lane "cheats" because it is annoying is not really justification for actually taking action to provoke road rage.

+ 10

The police advice is use both lanes all the way and filter in at the end. The guy stopping the other one is a dick of the highest order. I had a truck trying to stop me on the way down the M1 years ago. I phoned his company up and advised them of the correct guidelines in these circumstances...hey presto the truck moved like magic.....they must have phoned him. That was an unexpected bonus.!

Edit to add...people who want to stay safe in the biggest queue..follow the crowd..are welcome to their behaviour.

I've had this before. As soon as we passed the first sign to indictate the lanes were merging in one mile a lorry driver decided to straddle both lanes to prevent anyone overtaking.

Once we were out of the roadworks I pulled in front of him and slowed to 40 mph then sped up when he tried to overtake me. I repeated this about 4 times before I left at the next junction.

To say he was apopleptic with rage would be an understatement. Childish? Yes. Dangerous? Possibly. Satisfying? Definitely.