House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Where Has The Moon Gone?

Looking up into the sky earlier tonight armed with an app which shows you what you're looking at, I caught this (phone photo but better than I'd thought it would be)

moon-and-venus.jpg

Apparently, that's the moon and Venus.

Later tonight, looking again, the moon is nowhere to be seen. Strikes me as unusual. OK I don't look at the sky every night, maybe it's more normal than I imagine.

Phone shows Venus still in the sky, but Jupiter is shining bright and really obvious - photo of that one was poor but Jupiter was so bright. I nearly got the telescope out to have a closer look but it was so fecking cold.

At my last house I had clear open skies at the back; when watching telly of an evening I would sometimes watch the moon move across the whole sky over the course of the evening.

I was aware in theory that the moon moved through the sky but this gave me a real feel for it and the rate at which it happened.

People forget to look straight up at another bright planet in the sky...Jupiter. get binoculars and look at its moons.

The moon kind of follows the sun across the sky. When it's a new moon, it's quite close to the sun (as seen from here, not physically), so it sets a few hours after the sun. If it's a full moon then it's about 12 hours behind the sun, so it'll (roughly) rise when the sun sets and set when the sun's rising, so it'll be visible for most of the night.

that's what I was thinking! Venus was above and to the right of the moon.

If through a telescope maybe upside down ? Or maybe I dont know what I am talking about lol

Wow a multi lingual collision.

EDIT: By the way DTMark, is your photo upside down? (I could be showing myself up here, so I've taken a big risk saying that).

That's a good spot.

It's the right way up on the phone, but the wrong way when the picture file is put onto the PC.

So yes, the picture is upside down.

That's a good spot.

It's the right way up on the phone, but the wrong way when the picture file is put onto the PC.

So yes, the picture is upside down.

You could be South of the equator? Or maybe your phone was upside down?

If you are out in the rural areas, it might be worth getting a program like RedShift, which will tell you about what you can see and when, where ever you are in the world.

I've used a friends telescope and you can just about see Jupiter's moons sometimes.

The moon kind of follows the sun across the sky. When it's a new moon, it's quite close to the sun (as seen from here, not physically), so it sets a few hours after the sun. If it's a full moon then it's about 12 hours behind the sun, so it'll (roughly) rise when the sun sets and set when the sun's rising, so it'll be visible for most of the night.

I think I'll put up some markers on my lawn to test this. Shadows, line of sight and stuff. I mught build it from big rocks.

Stellarium is my recommendation, for an astronomy program. It is available for Windows, and Linux! It will show you what is below the horizon, but clearly a telescope is of no use for that because the Earth is in the way.

Stellarium is my recommendation, for an astronomy program. It is available for Windows, and Linux! It will show you what is below the horizon, but clearly a telescope is of no use for that because the Earth is in the way.

Can it help you see through clothing too?

I think I'll put up some markers on my lawn to test this. Shadows, line of sight and stuff. I mught build it from big rocks.

Make sure you get your big rocks from a distant place, and never let on how you transported them.

Dragged by puppies from Wales, the path lubricated with crushed kittens.

I'm afraid massive weightlifting lesbians rolled them on logs!