House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Deceptive Broadband

We've had broadband installed now for nearly four months. Last month we went a little over our 20GB limit as my wife wanted to stream a movie (normally we pre-empt our movie viewing and order the DVD on-line).

I just received this email at about the same time we had notification we were soon to exceed our allowance last month. ..

Last month, you used 23GB against your 20GB BT Infinity 1 allowance of 20GB

Hello,

We emailed you during the month to let you know you were getting close to going over your broadband allowance. Now that you've gone over, you'll need to pay £5.60 for every 5GB extra you've used. So we'll be adding £5.60 to your next bill.

Move to unlimited broadband

You could steer clear of extra charges in the future by upgrading to one of our unlimited broadband packages.

Upgrading online is fast, easy and convenient.

I think this is naughty as it gives the impression we are going to breech our limit again and linky linky to upgrade onto a more expensive package. Almost had me hooked, logged on to my account and I've used 8.63gb so far this month.

You mean infinity isnt unlimited?

Only in BTs sphere :D

Only yourself to blame. BT has always been a rip-off. read the small print.

I did ;) and still think this is misleading. They probably pull in 5 in a hundred people with that email.

I think all the big ISPs have a "teaser" package which is dirt cheap but has quite a meagre usage allowance. The higher allowance or unlimited version is only slightly more expensive, but this practice helps the ISP come up at the top of the search results on comparison websites when ordered by price.

You could reduce your bandwidth usage by 20%-30% by simply using Firefox with an Adblocker plugin. Ads use up large amounts of bandwidth.

On a restricted package using an Adblocker is really a must.

You could reduce your bandwidth usage by 20%-30% by simply using Firefox with an Adblocker plugin. Ads use up large amounts of bandwidth.

Thanks - useful hint.

I'm off to find this now. Have yourself a virtual pint as thanks.

I've been thinking of getting me a dongle for my laptop, so I've been monitoring data usage, and I easily get through 100mb a day. With several hours of rightmoving and googlemapping, it can be getting on for 1gb. Many of the packages offer 1gb for a month.

If you only surf and do emails, you won't use much data. Watching funny kittens can be expensive. I used to have a 3 dongle when I was mobile, Usually bought 15 GB a month.

How can you not have unlimited broadband? My usage is easily 100gig/month and I consider that to be moderate these days.

IMO there is only one serious broadband provider in the UK and that is Virgin.

You mean infinity isnt unlimited?

That will be worrying to mathematicians. :blink:

How can you not have unlimited broadband? My usage is easily 100gig/month and I consider that to be moderate these days.

If you live in a cabled area then Virgin is a sensible choice, although I find the phone calls expensive.

Not necessarily, many of them have to download a bunch of content anyway in order to work out what to block from display

The best broadband provider is the one that no-one else in your street uses.

Based on the advertised wireless network names, everyone in my street is on BT, so consequently I'm not.

The best broadband provider is the one that no-one else in your street uses.

Based on the advertised wireless network names, everyone in my street is on BT, so consequently I'm not.

How many of them are "wide open"? BT doesn't seem to care much about security!

I don't have a phone... I have a 15GB mobile data thing with 3.

Over Xmas, off work and all that.

RipOff_zpsjqfixlep.jpg

£15.13 = 148mb of data over my 15GB allowance. That's mb, 148mb = £15!!!!

That's like 2 minutes of redtube! Youtube! :unsure:

Not necessarily, many of them have to download a bunch of content anyway in order to work out what to block from display

That article was clearly written by a VI, somebody who makes money off ads and therefore tries to spread FUD about Adblockers.

I have been using Firefox + Adblock for the last 7 years (IIRC) without any problems, on the contrary, using Adblock makes a web page load faster as a lot less data is loaded so even if you are not on a limited bandwidth package you will still benefit from it.

Please not that I explicitly recommend Firefox with an Adblock plugin as other browsers (most notably Google Chrome) download ads even with an Adblocker, they just don't display them after downloading them.

Where we live, there's no cable. There's only the crappy phone network with ADSL. VDSL (what BT call "fibre") is on the way, but since there is 1.3km of crappy old phone wire between us and the cabinet, the best we can expect is about 18 down 5 up. Yawn.

So we use 4G. 50 down, 50 up most of the time. It flies. £30 per 10GB. We use about 30GB per month.

Where we live, there's no cable. There's only the crappy phone network with ADSL. VDSL (what BT call "fibre") is on the way, but since there is 1.3km of crappy old phone wire between us and the cabinet, the best we can expect is about 18 down 5 up. Yawn.

So we use 4G. 50 down, 50 up most of the time. It flies. £30 per 10GB. We use about 30GB per month.

Bloody hell, that's expensive. I used 100GB on Christmas day setting up the XBox.

The Infinity packages have changed recently, the one with a usage cap has reduced in price and there is now a 40Mbps for the same amount as the one with a cap used to cost. Maybe just ring them and change package?