House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tyres

How Much Does Your Vote Count?

Why some votes can count 30 times as much as others and how to check how powerful yours is:

British democracy may be built on the principle of one-person-one-vote, but in practice the UK’s archaic electoral system means most people have no impact on the result.

As the registration deadline for the election looms the virtues of voting will be repeated ad nauseam.

But one website aims to deconstruct the hypocrisies of First Past the Post, the electoral system which sees some voters have as much as 30 times the voting power as others.

Voter Power, a website set up by designer Martin Petts with data from the New Economics Foundation, lets voters check to what extent their vote will actually count towards the result.

Unlike most developed democracies, Britain’s voting system is not proportional. Voters are divided into small seats and hundreds of small local races take place.

independent: article here...

voterpower website here...

I posted on Conservative Home saying they should scrap FPTP and go for PR.

When I've seen it posted before they point was vehemently disagreed with (weak governments, what about local MPs) but on this occasion even they said it did seem ridiculous to stick with FPTP in such a split country.

Edited by Timak

I managed to move from a constituency where my vote was worth 0.072 to one where it was worth 0.053.

Living the democratic dream!

I posted on Conservative Home saying they should scrap FPTP and go for PR.

When I've seen it posted before they point was vehemently disagreed with (weak governments, what about local MPs) but on this occasion even they said it did seem ridiculous to stick with FPTP in such a split country.

Wonder how many pillocks out there are regretting voting against PR?

Didn't the anti-AV campaign even use pictures of sick children and soldiers in Afghanistan to oppose it?

This gets me thinking that in ultra-marginals (like a few hundred in polls) the power of social media could be harnessed with people moving en masse a few months before an election and get on the electoral roll. People could register ten to a house. Why hasn't any group tried this yet?