House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karhu

Fuel Depot On Fire In Hemel Hempstead

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticl...N-EXPLOSION.xml

This has the potential to cause some fuel price inflation.

Looks like there are quite a few casualities.

It is the Bunsfield Oil Depot. A quick search on the internet suggests that it stores petrol.

I found an old article on the gaurdian website

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/petrol/story/0,7369,368266,00.html)

which suggests its one of eight depots/refineries which supply the south east.

I suspect that it will have an impact on fuel supplies in the short term, but i expect the others depots/refineries will be able to take the the slack in the longer term, while they rebuild buncefield.

Not good news though. Seems like there are casualties and someone anecdotally reported hearing a low flying plane shortly before the blast.

If it is terrorist strike it doesn't bode well for the future as it means they've cottoned on to how easy it is to upset our oil dependent lifestyles.

I suspect that it will have an impact on fuel supplies in the short term, but i expect the others depots/refineries will be able to take the the slack in the longer term, while they rebuild buncefield.

Up to 60 million gallons of petrol can apparently be stored at that site.

Guest consa

OK, I read this and immediately went next door to fill up, (I am next door to a fuel station), I mentioned it to the cashier - he said the bloke before me had mentioned it :blink: there is going to be panic buying of fuel today!! I feel it in me bones, I will keep you updated on the rush to the pumps next door if it happens, but my immediate thought was FILL UP NOW, wonder what others will think, this is going to spread like a rash.

Are any other explosions at other fuel/oil depo's on the way????

REPLY 2:-

I have now been told about hemel hempstead explosion via MSN messenger so just goes to show the speed at which this is going to travel

OK, I read this and immediately went next door to fill up, (I am next door to a fuel station), I mentioned it to the cashier - he said the bloke before me had mentioned it :blink: there is going to be panic buying of fuel today!! I feel it in me bones, I will keep you updated on the rush to the pumps next door if it happens, but my immediate thought was FILL UP NOW, wonder what others will think, this is going to spread like a rash.

Agreed, that's exactly what I was thinking ...... Oil prices up at this time of year could provide a huge inflationary impetus.

Could this be a trigger for UK, like the hurricanes in US?

I have now been told this news via MSN messenger

That is completely unfounded as far as I can see. The emergency services are calling this an "accident".

Guest consa

That is completely unfounded as far as I can see. The emergency services are calling this an "accident".

The typing in my last post made it read wrongly, I didn't mean I had heard news of other places exploding, the topics merged when they shouldn't have.

Guest consa

Apparently this depot supplies aviation fuel to heathrow, just said on radio. BTW 1 car queue at petrol stn.

I heard it in the Watford area. It was like a canon firing - I was half asleep but it sounded like it could have been outside in the street it was that loud! The noise didn't last but it seemed to trigger lots of car alarms!

I went straight back to sleep, in my sleepy daze probably putting it down to a car backfiring badly.

Hmm, large explosion and emergency services at the scene.

I must say, oil price inflation was not the first thing that I thought about.

This is an economic forum, not somewhere to dwell on the human aspects of the trajedy. Sorry if this appeared insensitive.

I went straight back to sleep, in my sleepy daze probably putting it down to a car backfiring badly.

Thank you Corporal Jones. Britons sleep safer in their beds knowing that you are ever vigilant! :blink:

It is terrible and amazing watching it on the news. I cannot see how no one was injured or worse in such a blast but, fingers crossed, let's hope everyone is OK.

What an incredible sight when one of these things go up. I think something similar happened in the US a year or two ago but the TV images seemed nothing compared to these. There is an oil refinery not far from me - or used to as it closed down a few years back - and they were pretty tight regards security and safety measures. The thought that crossed my mind is that a trigger would be needed to set off these tanks as they are not only very solid structures but well dispersed to avoid this very situation.

Looks like BA, Virgin and Co might be putting up their prices.

Some people keep saying that there may have been a plane involved! I think it would be easy to find this out. Surely a missing plane would be noticed by air traffic control? This should be confirmed or dismissed as soon as possible as having people even suggest this is worrying.

There were unconfirmed reports of casualties at the depot. Police said the incident was an "accident".

How do they know this?

I remember back in July when there was a "power surge" on three tube trains and a bus. They must think we are stupid.

Oh, c'mon - I don't see there's any point trying to speculate on terror before there's any evidence.

However, I would have thought that in 2005 huge fuel depots would be pretty hard to blow up by accident. I'd have thought there'd be too many checks and safeguards.

How do they know this?

I remember back in July when there was a "power surge" on three tube trains and a bus. They must think we are stupid.

Yes. Keeping the masses calm is their top priority.

I'm trying to read between the lines. The aircraft theory seems a bit extreme and doesn't hold much water in my opinion. However, if it was the case then the authorities would definitely know immediately.

The authorities are in disarray. I guess it is Sunday morning, not the easiest time to regroup. They really need to make a firm statement soon, otherwise the London stock exchange will get hit big time on Monday.

Guest boxmoor boy

Looks like a frozen pipe had fractured,thats all.Its chaos here at the moment,just had to rush and pick my parents up as they've been evacuated from the hotel they were in(they are over visiting us from Spain)........some locals are being asked to get out of their homes.We are on the outskirts and should be ok to stay put.

However, I would have thought that in 2005 huge fuel depots would be pretty hard to blow up by accident. I'd have thought there'd be too many checks and safeguards.

im picking up reports on the NESB that its been caused by accident. apparently two workers were cooking sausages on a calor gas stove near the fuel storage tanks.

Guest boxmoor boy

4 or 5 workers from the depot were taken to the hotel my parents were in,1 said that they think it was caused by a fracture to a frozen pipe.....caused by subsidence maybe??

do you really think it was cold enough last night to freeze steel ?

those workers were lying to your parents to make themselves sound more important than they were to get a free english breakfast out of them.

frozen pipe by ****. its bound to be some shortcut in safety proceedure.

it always is. probably a guy was trying to mig weld a loose pipe.

Came across this on the BBC site.

Sunday morning is usually quiet at petrol stations, but driving around since 7 o'clock this morning I noticed people queuing for petrol, panic buying? I bet the prices at the petrol stations soon go up.

Micky, Plaistow, London

I live in Watford (near the M1 junction) and although I was awake at 6 I didn't hear a thing!!!

I can see the smoke though and it's near where I used to work in Hemel (Maylands Avenue).

Went to try and get petrol at Tesco on the way to the gym at 8:30 and had to abort - the queue was massive.

I think there will be short term supply problems.

I never knew that depot was there. I wonder if Watford's proximity to it explains why petrol is often several pence cheaper that other nearby towns.

Guest boxmoor boy

"those workers were lying to your parents to make themselves sound more important than they were to get a free english breakfast out of them.".........

Actually I think they were in too much shock to worry about b'fast,2 had lost their hair and had burns,but they will appreciate your concern i'm sure.As will the 100's round here who will be affected by this,houses and windows smashed in,loads(most)of the business is in the area will be closed etc.