House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corevalue

Useless Local Government Website

I've been trying to apply for a blue parking badge. I buy lots of stuff off the net, usually takes about 5 mins, no problem. This though has taken me two days, and I had to give up.

Day1: find website. Click to start filling form, and told I'd need to have handy

electronic copy of passport style photograph;

electronic copy of a utility bill addressed to me at my address;

electronic copy of means of identification, e.g. driving license or passport;

a credit card

OK, go and find the camera, take pictures of documents, return to computer and website has timed out. You only have 10 minutes to fill in the lengthy four-page form, upload the documents and pay. So, start again. Get as far as documents, and notice they require file sizes less than 500K. So, stop again, edit the pics.

New session. Click to start, get "service not available at this time, please try later".

Later, "page not found".

Later still, starts, get to page 2 in the form-filling, then next page is "service not available, please try later".

Phone council. Is there a way to do this by post? No. Your website isn't working, says I, when will it? Don't know, they said, we've got problems at the moment. We can do it over the phone, but only as a last resort. OK says I, I'll try again online tomorrow.

Day2. Click to start session. Box opens "Your browser isn't accepting cookies, sorry, goodbye." YES IT IS YOU GODDAM MUPPETS! I CAN SEE THEM! EACH AND EVERY ONE WITH A 10 MINUTE SESSION TIMEOUT!

Go to phone council, and notice the website no longer has any contact details (it did the day before). Yellow pages, find number, phone, get told to use inline form. When I point out it wasn't working yesterday, isn't working today and ask if it will be working Monday, the guy concedes and we do a phone application. Of course, that means exchange of documents and a six-week wait for "processing".

Grrrr........

Sorry, rant over, but how is an elderly disabled person supposed to cope with this? Go to the public library and use the computers there, what with being crippled in the first place and not able to get out much? Are they supposed to take their own pics and edit them?

I've not done "blue parking" since the late 80s. Isn;t it "dogging" now?

The holy trinity! "Useless, Government, and Computer". What the fug can they get right? :wacko:

The problem is there are too many govt websites, if there was ONE professionally built website for all the blue badges across the country they could probably build something that works, and it would cost a lot less than 200 websites all doing much the same thing and all built on a shoestring by the same guy who changes the toner cartridges.

I've been trying to apply for a blue parking badge. I buy lots of stuff off the net, usually takes about 5 mins, no problem. This though has taken me two days, and I had to give up.

Day1: find website. Click to start filling form, and told I'd need to have handy

electronic copy of passport style photograph;

electronic copy of a utility bill addressed to me at my address;

electronic copy of means of identification, e.g. driving license or passport;

a credit card

OK, go and find the camera, take pictures of documents, return to computer and website has timed out. You only have 10 minutes to fill in the lengthy four-page form, upload the documents and pay. So, start again. Get as far as documents, and notice they require file sizes less than 500K. So, stop again, edit the pics.

New session. Click to start, get "service not available at this time, please try later".

Later, "page not found".

Later still, starts, get to page 2 in the form-filling, then next page is "service not available, please try later".

Phone council. Is there a way to do this by post? No. Your website isn't working, says I, when will it? Don't know, they said, we've got problems at the moment. We can do it over the phone, but only as a last resort. OK says I, I'll try again online tomorrow.

Day2. Click to start session. Box opens "Your browser isn't accepting cookies, sorry, goodbye." YES IT IS YOU GODDAM MUPPETS! I CAN SEE THEM! EACH AND EVERY ONE WITH A 10 MINUTE SESSION TIMEOUT!

Go to phone council, and notice the website no longer has any contact details (it did the day before). Yellow pages, find number, phone, get told to use inline form. When I point out it wasn't working yesterday, isn't working today and ask if it will be working Monday, the guy concedes and we do a phone application. Of course, that means exchange of documents and a six-week wait for "processing".

Grrrr........

Sorry, rant over, but how is an elderly disabled person supposed to cope with this? Go to the public library and use the computers there, what with being crippled in the first place and not able to get out much? Are they supposed to take their own pics and edit them?

I suggest you apply in person to their offices - with a KALASHNIKOV... :D Oh, hell, mine's due in July. I hope it isn't so bad here!

Just tested our local council website. No matter how hard I try, it takes me to a form for replacing a lost bus pass - I've never had one!

The whole Government Gateway charade is utterly incomprehensible. It seems to suggest it's some sort of streamlined easy way to access all government shit online but is it? Of course it isn't.

Give Amazon 732 billion a year, I bet your blue disc would be there the day before you thought you might need one.

If the government are over 50% of the economy, are we dead men walking?

We all know government spending = spending where it's not wanted. So if over 50% of GDP is spent there, are we in terminal decline?

In five years time.... it will be even worse, you won't even have a computer!

Isn't there some Asterix film where they deal with government bureacracy by playing them at their own game?

Always seemed like a good template.

My general rule is to have a little to do with my council - they really are the most obtuse, inefficient people you could ever meet

I did once have a Kafkaesque conversation with a minion at my council

Enquiring about a grant that I was entitled to a year before and had now been suspended, I asked whether the award was discretionary or mandatory and after a bit of umming and erring came the wonderful answer "both!" to which I pointed out that he didn't know what those words meant and could he put me through to someone who did. I eventually got my grant.

And finally, to get a parking permit, I needed photographic i.d., 2 proofs of address, the log book, mot, insurance certificate AND my current tax disc - total control freakery. I pointed out that it was an offence to leave a vehicle on a public highway with no valid tax disc displayed and what should I do? What happens if a warden gives me a ticket?

"oh it's okay, you're allowed if it's for a parking permit, and it won't be for very long will it?" he lied

What a bunch of f@cking retards

Just empty my bins once a week for less than £1000 per year - now p!ss off the lot of you

I was looking for NHS "Walk in Centres" earlier on the website.

If there isn't one very nearby, the search results default to A & E departments making it appear that the nearest hospital has the facility you're looking for.

The user comments are full of people saying "I went there and was told to go to a Walk in Centre or go and see my GP. Why does the NHS website actively refer people to the casualty department?"

I was looking for NHS "Walk in Centres" earlier on the website.

If there isn't one very nearby, the search results default to A & E departments making it appear that the nearest hospital has the facility you're looking for.

The user comments are full of people saying "I went there and was told to go to a Walk in Centre or go and see my GP. Why does the NHS website actively refer people to the casualty department?"

I had a long discussion about the 'walk in centre' in Oldham with someone at the NHS. It's referred to as WIC by our GP's phone line. It's given as an alternative to seeing your own GP. It's not. They won't deal with anything you need referring for or that you have a history of.

When it opened (at great cost, shiny new building away from hospital A&E) it was open 24/7. Then it started shutting at 11pm, and now it shuts at 8pm. That's only an hour after my GP shuts.

Oldham's 8am to 8pm walk-in service

Oldham’s 8am to 8pm walk in service, on the ground floor of the Oldham Integrated Care Centre, treats minor illnesses and injuries that do not need a visit to A & E.

http://www.oldhamccg.nhs.uk/Yourhealthandwellbeing/Feelingunwell/tabid/183/Default.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/UrgentCare/UrgentCareFinder?Location.Name=Oldham&Location.Latitude=53.545&Location.Longitude=-2.119&IsAandE=True&IsPharmacy=False&IsUrgentCare=True&IsOpenNow=False&MileValue=10&currentPage=1

This shows you the Lindley Medical Practice. Something that will surely confuse lots of people - but that's where the walk in centre is.

It's madness.

They have changed what they can do there - they did do bloods but now you have to go to the hospital like before.