House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Underrated/overlooked/forgotten Films

As per title - I've been working through a stock pile of DVDs off internet lists of underrated films from the past - in all honesty it is more miss than hit but these couple were pretty good and felt no urge to turn them off like quite a few.

End of Watch, and although decent Rotten Tomatoes seems to have been largely overlooked

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1855199/

Same for Go from the late nineties

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139239/

And, Falcon and the Snowman

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087231/

One thing that's interesting is you don't really appreciate the sheer volume of movies that are churned out and forgotten.

There are hundreds of great films from the 20s and 30s... and now the 40s and 50s... that are long forgotten.

Funny isn't it - people used to talk about the films being watched for all time... and their actors being stars for all time... and now they are all but forgotten just a few decades later.

Here's a name - Ramon Novarro. Huge star in his day and the subject of a terrible death... around which there are loads of the usual Hollywood rumours... but he was an enormous star in his day. Now, all but forgotten and so are the films of him and his contemporaries.

Guest eight

It really brings home the myth of internet piracy. With so much sheer volume of media available (far more than one human lifetime could ever absorb) people should just be grateful that you even watched/listened to/read their offering in the first place, irrespective of whether any money changed hands or not.

Guest eight

As per title - I've been working through a stock pile of DVDs off internet lists of underrated films from the past -

Be honest - you've been trying to work out which of that containerload of straight to DVD movies you can rebrand as "modern classics", haven't you?

I really thought the secret life of Walter Mitty was quite brilliant - in the cinema anyway.

Not at all my sort of film - and I sometimes find Ben Stiller quite annoying. But I thought it was great.

Be honest - you've been trying to work out which of that containerload of straight to DVD movies you can rebrand as "modern classics", haven't you?

Not too bad on the DVD front only a trailer load of boxsets I'm mulling getting shot to a pound shop type chain just to push them through.

Did have a couple of comedy DVDs in significant volume, won't name names of comedians but, there was more value in having eastern europeans strip the DVD and insert out and shrinkwrapping in 5s as empty cases.

Guest eight

I posted a clip from The Hudsucker Proxy the other day - a very entertaining film that barely anybody seems to have heard of.

There are hundreds of great films from the 20s and 30s... and now the 40s and 50s... that are long forgotten.

Funny isn't it - people used to talk about the films being watched for all time... and their actors being stars for all time... and now they are all but forgotten just a few decades later.

Here's a name - Ramon Novarro. Huge star in his day and the subject of a terrible death... around which there are loads of the usual Hollywood rumours... but he was an enormous star in his day. Now, all but forgotten and so are the films of him and his contemporaries.

Nasty. May have seen him in the High Chaparral in the 70`s re-runs, but wouldn`t have known much about his silent years even then, unless a grandparent or older person commented on it, internet changes everything because in a few minutes I now know a lot about him. Amazing really.

I really thought the secret life of Walter Mitty was quite brilliant - in the cinema anyway.

Not at all my sort of film - and I sometimes find Ben Stiller quite annoying. But I thought it was great.

please don't say you don't know it's a remake of the danny kaye original

For me, decent films began in 1969 with "Easy rider" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid". There are plenty of quite watchable films beforehand, like "In the heat of the night" or "The graduate" but they all have that very unnatural stilted acting style, so even where they have a good plot I don't find them an immersive experience somehow.

I've seen Hobson's choice and there are quite a few black and white films I really like but I'm tempted with an embargo on anything pre-dating colour so I would guess seventies at the earliest.

This is by no mean great but definitely overlooked

Star Chamber, with Michael Douglas

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086356/

And I think Black Rain might be forgotten deliberately due to Wacism - great soundtrack

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096933/

These are great though and might be overlooked because they're Argentinian with subtitles

The Secret In Their Eyes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Nine Queens

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247586/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

I saw a film on tv a few years ago about some goings on in a lighthouse, and I'm sure it was from the 1930s, but the acting and picture quality were good, and most importantly, there was a dolly bird scampering around in her underwear. I couldn't believe they made them like that in those days, so I've been on the lokk out for it ever since.

Sorry, I know that's not much info.

Also, while on the subject, there was a teen comedy from 80s/90s that I was looking out for for years, about some guy lusting after his neighbour sunbathing on the lawn. I don't think there was any nudity, but I think she got sprayed with the garden sprinkler. She was also fairly flat chested. Sorry, not much to go on there, either.

Also, one from the 50s/60s about a standoff between two nuclear subs (or was it ships).

That is all. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

I saw a film on tv a few years ago about some goings on in a lighthouse, and I'm sure it was from the 1930s, but the acting and picture quality were good, and most importantly, there was a dolly bird scampering around in her underwear. I couldn't believe they made them like that in those days, so I've been on the lokk out for it ever since.

Sorry, I know that's not much info.

Fraggle Rock?

Up until 1930 Hollywood films were quite sexual but that changed when the puritans took over and the Hays Code came into affect in the 1930s - a good lesson in the dangers of a small but vocal minority censoring the majority.

What is this monkey planning on doing in this pre-Hays Code film 'The Sign of the Cross'?

DeMille_-_Sign_of_the_Cross_-_Sacrifice_

Films made in the Pre-Code era frequently presented people in sexually suggestive or provocative situations, and did not hesitate to display women in scanty attire. In this publicity photo, Dorothy Mackaill plays a secretary-turned-prostitute in Safe in Hell, a 1931 Warner Bros. film directed by William Wellman.

Safe_in_Hell_Dorothy_Mackaill.jpg

Pre-Code Hollywood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Code_Hollywood

Edit: OK, I know - it is gorilla not a monkey. If you are a fit woman tied to a pole in the middle of a crowd-filled Roman amphitheatre about to be ravished it is important whether it is a monkey or a gorilla.

Because monkeys are... monkeys... and gorillas are... great apes...