House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erranta

It's Sunday Paper Time! Tories Now Top Of The Polls!

Tories seize lead in polls

DAVID CAMERON'S debut as Tory leader has given the Conservatives a surge of support that has put them ahead of Labour for the first time in 18 months, a Sunday Times poll shows.

Another finding in the YouGov poll will cause panic in Labour circles. Cameron's approval rating, with a net 34% of people expecting him to do well, is well above that for Blair and Charles Kennedy, the Lib Dem leader.

More significantly, it easily outstrips Gordon Brown's rating, which has slumped. His net approval rating was 41% before the general election; now it is just 4%.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1920254,00.html

Surely it's a case of voting for the devils you already know - in this instance??

I think david Cameron has been very clever in the people he has brought into the shadow cabinet. Unlike good ol' Tony he understands that the expeience of others counts and seems like he will be a Prime Minister (assuming he gets in) rather than a President (in the style of Blair). I don't know enough about Cameron to decide whether he would make a good PM yet. But so far I'd rather vote for him than Blair.

imho William Hague is certainly a future Prime Minister and it's a shame he took the Conservative leadership at a time when it was a poisened chalice.

At last a possible opposition party to vote for.

EDIT: Even my wife is cheering for the Conservatives and hating Blair/Brown, and she used to be soemone who would never have voted anything but Labour in the past!

Edited by Portent

At last a possible opposition party to vote for.

EDIT: Even my wife is cheering for the Conservatives and hating Blair/Brown, and she used to be soemone who would never have voted anything but Labour in the past!

Oh dear, now HPC Woman the new floating voter title.

So there we are: ONE single clone of Tony Cameron, or is that David Blair, can overnight change the entire party from unelectable to triumphantly ahead....just like that.

Has Tory POLICY changed? No

Have thousands of Tory voters and party members changed? No

Has the core position of Tory politics or philosophy changed? No

Is England a nation of presidents or Cabinet? Used to be cabinet, but apparently must be presidential.

Can ONE person suddenly make a party electable after being beyond redemption? Usually no, but as with all things political, the culture of "personality" however predictably cloned from an existing formula (Blair), can swing the sentiments of the truly mindless electorate.

New Conservolabour. Somewhere left of right and somewhere right of left. Somewhere, anywhere, just so long as you elect us, because we don't care as long as you give us POWER.

I despair.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

New Conservolabour. Somewhere left of right and somewhere right of left. Somewhere, anywhere, just so long as you elect us, because we don't care as long as you give us POWER.

I despair.

VP

Was ever thus.

Can ONE person suddenly make a party electable after being beyond redemption? Usually no, but as with all things political, the culture of "personality" however predictably cloned from an existing formula (Blair), can swing the sentiments of the truly mindless electorate.

I despair.

VP

I agree. Cameron is a wolf disguised as a sheep. Hopefully it will cause the labour party to shift to the left, which can only be a good thing IMO. If the economy suffers a large down turn I believe the conservatives will get in.. Especially if GB is leader of the labour party.

VacantPossession which would you prefer, HPC or Cameron?? I know this isn't really a fair question but..

Tory lead needed to win with First Past The Post.

To obtain a working majority, the Conservatives need to lead Labour by at least 11.7%....

'Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right: the Conservatives and the electoral system: a summary':

http://www.makemyvotecount.org.uk/blog/arc...s_to_the_l.html

If the Conservatives had drawn level with Labour in 2005, with each party polling 33.8% of the vote, Labour would have secured 336 seats and the Tories just 220. That is an unfair lead of 18% of all the seats in the House of Commons. For the Conservatives to win outright with a majority of two, with 324 seats, they would need a national lead of 11.7%. This is a larger margin than they had as the governing party in 1979 and 1987, and all for a majority of two.

In England more people voted Conservative (8,116,005) than Labour (8,043,461), but Labour still won 92 more seats:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/vote2005/html/england.stm

Bias.jpg

post-2423-1134266845_thumb.jpg

I agree. Cameron is a wolf disguised as a sheep. Hopefully it will cause the labour party to shift to the left, which can only be a good thing IMO. If the economy suffers a large down turn I believe the conservatives will get in.. Especially if GB is leader of the labour party.

VacantPossession which would you prefer, HPC or Cameron?? I know this isn't really a fair question but..

I suspect GB would be utterly useless as a leader of the opposition. If he is not elected PM, he would be out of British politics a few years later.

Are the two choices related? Educate me please.

VP

1 Hopefully it will cause the labour party to shift to the left, which can only be a good thing IMO.

2 VacantPossession which would you prefer, HPC or Cameron?? I know this isn't really a fair question but..

In answer to 1 above:

What???..........perhaps Dennis Skinner as prime minister?

In reply to 2 above:

How about both?

Edited by make my day

sorry but, cameron just does not cut the mustard.

he looks privilleged. talk crap. is weak. lacks punch. hes green. blinkered and a million miles away from the average person who lives here. his attack was clumsy. i dont thinks hes got what it takes. no charisma.

why do we select people who dont have a clue about living a real uk life as leaders ?

i bet he has never cashed a giro, caught a bus. been drunk. ran out of toilet paper or had a curry or been fired from a crap job. he hasnt got four kids who eat fish fingers and demand bratz disco diva sets.

as for the polls. labour were beating tory in 1990 but it took another 7 years to shift them.

had they picked a better leader they could have knocked them off the top next election, but with cameron i dont think he has the firepower. i still feel the tories are a spent force of landowners, old farts and young clumsy freaks.

why do we select people who dont have a clue about living a real uk life as leaders ?

i bet he has never cashed a giro, caught a bus. been drunk. ran out of toilet paper or had a curry or been fired from a crap job. he hasnt got four kids who eat fish fingers and demand bratz disco diva sets.

Are these your criteria for a good leader and PM..........?

i second that.

after 20 years of tory destruction that divided the country, we change to a labour government. only to find that its staffed by the same etonians as before and that their policies are hard like before and we are discontented as before and having to post here because of it.

then we re-elect another rich charlie from the party that sold off all the council homes to solve all our problems who has no new ideas and no new angles.

yeah - god help us with thinking like yours.

Cameron is going to be PM, I can feel it in my bones. If Brown takes over the leadership then, not only is he Scottish, has been tarnished by years as Chancellor. If he had been Home Sectretary and kept his head low then he might have had a chance. The only hope for Brown is to start getting really strict on spending and then when he's leader tell the nation that if they think he's bad, just wait for Cameron.

[quote name=right_freds_dead' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:03 AM' post='251818]

if i had to choose between that and a coke snorting etonian. yes.

Posted by right freds dead on: Dec 7 2005, 12:36

............just had another bright idea while tripping on acid...............

From your posts above do you and Cameron hang out together?

yes but im not presenting myself as the know-it-all leader whos going to lead us all by moral example, even if he comes from a background that is not like any of our own. hes going to choose whats best for you. hes going to tell us what we can and cant do in our own country. hes going to make the rules for you to live by. so id hope he knows how we do live, because i think he only knows his own life and doesnt give a crap about anything else. you can see it already. i dont like the man. i dont like the party and i dont like the plans. hes going to take over the reigns and as soon as you can say terrorist outrage, we'll be on id cards and taxed over the 50% we are already on. he will bring NOTHING to the table. nothing.

nothing for YOU anyway,.

Edited by right_freds_dead

yes but im not presenting myself as the know-it-all leader

I notice from your pre edited response that you acknowledge that you only smoked pot and drank spirits......so you do hang out with politicians then? :D:D:D

why would i hang out with boring, self inflated politicians.? id rather hang out here.

im shocked that so many of you cant see it as it is.

simply the old boys club passing the relay baton.

theres NO CHANGE here.

why would i hang out with boring, self inflated politicians.? id rather hang out here.

theres NO CHANGE here.

Totally agree. Not going to bother to vote at all. I have the choice of a active collusionist in international torture and a latent collusionist. An active collusionist in VI measures and a latent collusionist who may or may not pick different VIs, but they will be business interests and they still won't be me!!!

Wouldn't care less if the batton changed from Blair to Cameron since I very much doubt at this stage there will be much change in policy. Just a fresher prettier, more virile and younger face for the same policies and ultimately the same behaviour. Does anyone remember Tory sleaze. Took about 8 years to fully form. Will anyone remember Labour sleaze in 8 years time when they are battering on about tory sleaze? And anyway, Cameron has started in the way he intends to continue, as Tony's clone, eg: enforcing female parlimentarian quotas to make the tories look more 'in touch'. Get outa here! Labour did that, and it didn't produce better government, just a bunch of grateful pretty syncophants for the pretty, virile, young prime minister and a nice photoshoot. Very X factor. Episode 2 - Cameron's Chicks!!!

All I want is a government that is the same as its face, and considers the needs of everyone... but I'm not going to get one so I guess what I really need is to have a strong cup of tea and not get frustrated and angry looking for a moral compass that is not mislaid but completely lost.

We will of course get a HPC while David Cameron is prime minister - and a lot of people will probably decide to thank him even though it won't be thanks to him. Global economy uber alles.

theres NO CHANGE here.

Absolutely dead on. I remember the quaint old tradition of political parties having an actual ideological difference. Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I thought that a political party was an organisation with a set of principles, the idea being that you argued and persuaded the electorate round to your way of thinking. The current definition appears to be an organisation that does private polling and focus groups to find out what prinnciples to acquire, and which to abandon, in order to be in step with a majority of the population. The inevitable conclusion being that all parties who operate in this way will reach the same lowest common denominator policies.

The next election, as the previous 2 have been, will be about choosing which privilged toff's career you'd like to further. In terms of politics and the reality of life in the UK, it will be meaningless. The main issue at the last election? From what I remember the debate centred around approx. 1% of GDP in public spending or tax cuts. I can only begin to imagine the radical difference this would have had on my life if Howard had won :rolleyes:

I voted green last time - not because I am particularly environmentally friendly (hell, I work indirectly for the Atomic Weapons Establishment!) but because I didn't want to feel like a sucker who had been fooled into thinking that there was the slightest fundamental difference between the main parties. And they have a policy of taxing seven bells out of big landowners.

Edited by Leodhasach

well dont lets fall for the trap of blaming the system and not ourselves for allowing this x-factor administration.

no one here - despite being kicked in the teeth by new labour will join in numbers a protest march to let the government know were pissed off with it.

what came first, the chickens or the egg.?

id cards next please.

well dont lets fall for the trap of blaming the system and not ourselves for allowing this x-factor administration.

no one here - despite being kicked in the teeth by new labour will join in numbers a protest march to let the government know were pissed off with it.

what came first, the chickens or the egg.?

id cards next please.

Marches don't achieve much IMO. You saw the effect of the Iraq ones, the biggest ever. As ever with these events, the Sun and the Mail pick out of few photos of the crustiest/most violent/ most-fundamentalist-muslim-looking folks at the demo, stick them on the front page, and sit back with the government to watch the sheeple of Britain tut-tut at these "terrorist symapthisers" over their cornflakes.

Ironically, apathy might be the best thing to sort the mess out - if turnout keeps collapsing to the stage where small parties with clear agendas and politically motivated memberships can start winning seats, then politics might get interesting again. If turnout falls to, say, 40% - well, I'm not sure a goverment would have sufficient authority to govern.