House Price Crash Forum

Interstellar (Movie)

DTMark

HOLA441

MV5BMjIxNTU4MzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4

Wow.

It's not often that I'll buy a chart DVD at full price (or even write up some semblance of a review after seeing it). But this one looked intriguing. Five star reviews. Watched it tonight.

The last films I saw for the first time and thought "that is one of the best films I have ever seen": The Shawshank Redemption, Sunshine, Fight Club, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

That last one is especially pertinent. This one borrows from that to some extent. 2001 leaves you with more questions than it answers, and is visually mind-blowing, even now.

This one resolves the questions (or, does it). It lasts for two and a half hours.

I've always been interested in space travel, time, gravity, and throughout, my cynical brain kept reverting to its default mode of "trying to find fault". Not that I know the right answers, of course. And that's the point, I guess. Nobody knows what is inside a black hole.

For example "Sunshine" is ridiculously flawed, but highly enjoyable nonetheless not least for the stunning effects and soundtrack.

This one is very, very clever. One that you know you'll need to see several times to appreciate fully.

As the film draws to a conclusion, resolving threads that you'd forgotten about, and a conclusion which you can actually see coming from near the beginning though you can't imagine how, I find myself marvelling at it.

It is so watchable. Even though it is long, it needs to be, to tell the story. It never fades or fails to entertain.

It is not perfect, but it is brilliantly clever, creative and imaginative, coupled with superb acting.

Really quite incredible and very highly recommended. If you're a fan of sci-fi, you *need* to see this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

Let the spoilers begin.. ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

MV5BMjIxNTU4MzY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4

Wow.

It's not often that I'll buy a chart DVD at full price (or even write up some semblance of a review after seeing it). But this one looked intriguing. Five star reviews. Watched it tonight.

The last films I saw for the first time and thought "that is one of the best films I have ever seen": The Shawshank Redemption, Sunshine, Fight Club, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

That last one is especially pertinent. This one borrows from that to some extent. 2001 leaves you with more questions than it answers, and is visually mind-blowing, even now.

This one resolves the questions (or, does it). It lasts for two and a half hours.

I've always been interested in space travel, time, gravity, and throughout, my cynical brain kept reverting to its default mode of "trying to find fault". Not that I know the right answers, of course. And that's the point, I guess. Nobody knows what is inside a black hole.

For example "Sunshine" is ridiculously flawed, but highly enjoyable nonetheless not least for the stunning effects and soundtrack.

This one is very, very clever. One that you know you'll need to see several times to appreciate fully.

As the film draws to a conclusion, resolving threads that you'd forgotten about, and a conclusion which you can actually see coming from near the beginning though you can't imagine how, I find myself marvelling at it.

It is so watchable. Even though it is long, it needs to be, to tell the story. It never fades or fails to entertain.

It is not perfect, but it is brilliantly clever, creative and imaginative, coupled with superb acting.

Really quite incredible and very highly recommended. If you're a fan of sci-fi, you *need* to see this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

Let the spoilers begin.. ;)

I liked it up until the last section - if you seen it you'll know which bit I mean. It tried to be a new 2001 and failed miserably. Wouldn't recommend it.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I always think Christopher Nolan is pretty over-rated

Had to look him up. He has the 4th (Dark Knight, never seen it) and 14th (Inception, outweirded me) highest rated films on IMDB. That's a pretty impressivce feat, irrespective of whether he's a good director or not. The rating system on IMDB is so compressed that 6 is usually a crap film and 7 very good, so 9 is amazing.

HOLA448

No spoiler but Christopher Nolan was a pupil at Haiketbury and inserts the schools post code into every film somewhere SG13 7NU

Haileybury, he was a few years older than me. Still remember him and Dom Joly coming into our study room and creating mischief. Pretentious twit but done very well for himself.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Had to look him up. He has the 4th (Dark Knight, never seen it) and 14th (Inception, outweirded me) highest rated films on IMDB. That's a pretty impressivce feat, irrespective of whether he's a good director or not. The rating system on IMDB is so compressed that 6 is usually a crap film and 7 very good, so 9 is amazing.

Watch Memento. It's very good.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I rented it, and I did like it. Interested in how they did Tars shots. The robot didn't look all CGI to me.

It was most likely a puppet when it was interacting with actors (harking back to Jurassic Park where they wisely blended puppets with earlier CGI and it still holds up pretty well after two decades).

HOLA4414

Loved it but Inception is better IMO.

Based on the favourite films you've mentioned I really need to see Fight Club asap

I wasn't mad about 'Inception' though I know I'm outvoted on that one.

Don't talk about Fight Club!

(You'll get that when you have seen it - and, do see it, it's brilliant)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Great film for me.

Reminded me of lots of different films, but as you say DT - some resolution in places which I was glad of.

I welled up a few times, which always signifies a good movie for me, comparable to Mary and Max or The road on my welling-up meter.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It was great.... right up until the end.... and then it wasn't.

I thought the robots were rubbish at the start, but they grew on me immensely while watching the film. I want one!

Some parts were simply brilliant, thought provoking and the time dilation/effect truly astonishing, brought (through film) into the real world. A real human perspective on the future reality we will one day will face.

But the end, sucked balz. I was robbed of 2 1/2 hours of my life, never to get it back again. Actually 5 hours, because I watched it again! The first 3/4 of the film is worth the disappointment at the end.

7 out of 10... The end is so bad I could go 3/10 straight after the first watching, but as a whole, 7/10.

I can sort of understand the ending, because we just don't know, but, what the f**k....

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Really good, tense sci-fi film for the first three quarters but it's a wasted investment by the viewer because the ending is so bad. I guess the danger of having a film written, directed and produced by the same person is that there isn't anybody with the power to tell the writer to go back and have another go at the ending.

HOLA4421

Really good, tense sci-fi film for the first three quarters but it's a wasted investment by the viewer because the ending is so bad. I guess the danger of having a film written, directed and produced by the same person is that there isn't anybody with the power to tell the writer to go back and have another go at the ending.

Imagine if he had found a damaged robot one day, before he was sent off, in one of his fields, and him, or his kid spent 20 years rebuilding it (20 years because the robot was from the future). They turned it on and it came out with all the data from 'beyond the singularity', this was 'lars' who was sent into the black hole, and through time dilation, faster than light speed travel and the alien technology. Crash landed 20 years before he was sent out, in a field on earth.

I could live with that!

What about the wormhole,It wasn't just a bridge in space, but a bridge through time.... Another galaxy but 10,000 years ago. Then it's just a simple radio message. Received during WWII = mind blown. You could even have Einstein getting hold of the data a re-interpreting it... because he doesn't know where it comes from.

Just sloppy.... again.

HOLA4422

I guess the danger of having a film written, directed and produced by the same person is that there isn't anybody with the power to tell the writer to go back and have another go at the ending.

Like for Lady in the Water, for the whole film. I have also noticed that quirky low budget movies often have fairly lame endings. Maybe the studios aren't all bad.

HOLA4423

Lots of justified criticism of the ending.

I've been highly critical of the new "Doctor Who" series for those "wrap it all up in five minutes with a risible ending" episodes.

I wasn't so critical of this one. It's hard to respond without dropping massive spoilers.

I have a scientific mind and I've wondered why it is that I 'forgive' the ending to this one in the way that I do. I am really critical of this sort of thing.

2001 doesn't try to resolve anything. I have my own interpretation of what the ending 'means to me' and it's not that far from the ending to this one, except that my inference of that is that of alien involvement whereas this is basically the same, but is a paradox.

That this would be resolved with a paradox was obvious from early on with the 'ghost' interpretation.

HOLA4424

Imagine if he had found a damaged robot one day, before he was sent off, in one of his fields, and him, or his kid spent 20 years rebuilding it (20 years because the robot was from the future). They turned it on and it came out with all the data from 'beyond the singularity', this was 'lars' who was sent into the black hole, and through time dilation, faster than light speed travel and the alien technology. Crash landed 20 years before he was sent out, in a field on earth.

I could live with that!

What about the wormhole,It wasn't just a bridge in space, but a bridge through time.... Another galaxy but 10,000 years ago. Then it's just a simple radio message. Received during WWII = mind blown. You could even have Einstein getting hold of the data a re-interpreting it... because he doesn't know where it comes from.

Just sloppy.... again.

this is where it all goes wrong again.

The nearest Galaxy is 2.5 MILLION light years away...so WWII message still has another 2.49999995 Million years to travel???

HOLA4425

This was the best film of last year in my opinion. I never thought I'd see the Forever War on screen, but this is something like it. Deeply beautiful and moving film. But I really love Contact too - which goes to a similar place.

I loved the ending personally. It was like guided meditation slowly bringing you back to reality.

I'll wait until the sales for the blu-ray though as I can't see myself finding 3 hours or so to watch it very often.

Archived