House Price Crash Forum

Mine Is A Guinness

geezer466

HOLA441

Should be in the long running thread but lets spilt it out for a good winge...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32329924

Labour peer Lord Janner will not face child sex abuse charges because the severity of his dementia makes him unfit to stand trial, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

The abuse allegations relate to residents in Leicestershire children's homes between 1970 and the 1980s.

Police condemned the CPS decision as "wrong", and the Labour Party has suspended the 86-year-old peer.

Not in the public interest!? I think if you actually ask the public they will be very interested in him being tried. Not in the interests of the Westminster establishment I can understand!

And oh look.........https://twitter.com/jayrayner1

rayner.JPG

More evidence Joe Public is being played for *****s...

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Man-guilty-abusing-age-girls/story-11746382-detail/story.html

A DEVON man has been found guilty of abusing six under-age girls in a trial held in his absence at Exeter Crown Court.

Jurors yesterday unanimously found that Michael Collingwood, now 69, of Tedburn St Mary, near Exeter, committed 23 sex offences, including raping one girl.

Judge Paul Darlow instructed the jury to formally enter not guilty pleas to the other six sex offence allegations.

Jurors heard the trial in Collingwood's absence after being told he suffers from severe dementia.

The jury forewoman, giving her verdicts, was required to say she found Collingwood "did the act charged" rather than being "guilty", due to him not standing trial.

post-13816-0-61385900-1429184109_thumb.jpg

HOLA442

I suppose if you are so mentally incapacitated that you can't defend yourself it probably isn't a fair trial.

I guess they could wheel him in and out of the courtroom and let a lawyer defend him.. seems a bit pointless though if he's likely to be dead by the end of the trial.

If you're going to do that you might as well dig up Saville and put him on trial too..

HOLA443

I suppose if you are so mentally incapacitated that you can't defend yourself it probably isn't a fair trial.

I guess they could wheel him in and out of the courtroom and let a lawyer defend him.. seems a bit pointless though if he's likely to be dead by the end of the trial.

If you're going to do that you might as well dig up Saville and put him on trial too..

Not like the allegations have only just surfaced is it?

Of the fact he has only recently got dementia!!

HOLA444
HOLA445

If the guy is too far gone the trial won't get anywhere, which just wastes public money, so that wouldn't be in the public interest. Arguably it wouldn't be either even if he could be tried and found guilty but was too past it to be punished.

That shouldn't rule out any other form of investigation.

HOLA446

If the guy is too far gone the trial won't get anywhere, which just wastes public money, so that wouldn't be in the public interest. Arguably it wouldn't be either even if he could be tried and found guilty but was too past it to be punished.

Interestingly there was a post on the UK Criminal Law Blog a few days ago about fitness to plead: http://ukcriminallawblog.com/fitness-to-plead/

If the defendant is found unfit to plead, then there is a ‘trial of issue’. This is to decide if the defendant ‘did the act or omission’ alleged against him.....

.....If the jury are sure that the defendant did the act, then the matter moves to the ‘disposal stage’. We’ve expressed it as that, rather than ‘sentence’ as it is not a question of attaching moral blame to the person so that they should be punished, rather ensuring that the public, and the defendant, are protected.

The only possible disposals are :

HOLA447
HOLA448

IMO it would be very much in the public interest if during his demented defence he happened to blurt a load of names that were in compliance with his perverted lifestyle. Though I guess 'they' have already figured this out.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Funny that - although they didn't try Savile, he was almost hanged, drawn and quartered and he was DEAD at the time - now Lord Janner's not to be prosecuted because he's only MAD. This member of the public needs to see a trial - or a public inquiry. Bu66er the cost.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I am going to be pedantic here and state that I think this needs to be in the full kiddie fiddler thread as that thread is now an important part of the historic record into what has been, allegedly, going on.

Any discussion of Janner needs to be in there don't you think?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Is it possible for a well connected member of the establishment to get a fake dementia diagnosis?

I think the title of this thread is an oblique reference to Ernest Saunders and the Distillers affair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_share-trading_fraud

In May 1991, Saunders and his co-accused appealed against their convictions. The guilty verdicts were upheld, though his sentence was halved after medical evidence was produced to suggest he was suffering from a mental illness. Saunders was suggested by doctors at Ford Open Prison possibly to be suffering from premature Alzheimer's disease, a common form of dementia; if this was a correct diagnosis, he made a recovery unique in medical history. Alzheimer's, like all dementias, is usually incurable, being a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. Saunders has since maintained that he must have been depressed. The press presented it as Saunders being deceptive and ridiculed him and the decision to release him

HOLA4419

I think the title of this thread is an oblique reference to Ernest Saunders and the Distillers affair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_share-trading_fraud

In May 1991, Saunders and his co-accused appealed against their convictions. The guilty verdicts were upheld, though his sentence was halved after medical evidence was produced to suggest he was suffering from a mental illness. Saunders was suggested by doctors at Ford Open Prison possibly to be suffering from premature Alzheimer's disease, a common form of dementia; if this was a correct diagnosis, he made a recovery unique in medical history. Alzheimer's, like all dementias, is usually incurable, being a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. Saunders has since maintained that he must have been depressed. The press presented it as Saunders being deceptive and ridiculed him and the decision to release him

Indeed it was such a reference....

Expect no public appearances of Janner going forward and for him to live a reasonable comfortable life in privacy....

HOLA4420

Possible rapid death to previously undisclosed cancer, depending on how the situation develops?

Maybe he will take up Hill walking...

Probably not a good idea though as he will probably get lost......

HOLA4421

What I don't quite understand in these cases is why relatives have not killed for revenge more. If it happened to my kids, the chance to both get revenge and explain my motives in open court to damn the public memory of the abuser would be attractive

Archived