House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Next Government Will Be 'brutal' On Tax Avoidance, Whichever Party Wins

I still don't get how any party can be "hard" or "brutal" on something that's perfectly legal and practiced by the majority of their own members of parliament and peers.

According to the radio today with the new vehicle tax disc system (no windscreen tax disc anymore) any unexpired tax period on a second hand vehicle is immediately cancelled on sale completion and the new owner has to immediately apply/pay for a new vehicle tax. Unexpired vehicle tax is not carried over to the new owner. Any unexpired amount is still refunded to the original owner.

Apparently failure to comply could lead to a £1000 fine. Progress :rolleyes:

Edited by billybong

According to the radio today with the new vehicle tax disc system (no windscreen tax disc anymore) any unexpired tax period on a second hand vehicle is immediately cancelled on sale completion and the new owner has to immediately apply/pay for a new vehicle tax. Unexpired vehicle tax is not carried over to the new owner. Any unexpired amount is still refunded to the original owner.

Apparently failure to comply could lead to a £1000 fine. Progress :rolleyes:

According to the Grauniad consumer bods, this is already catching people out. 8,000 vehicles a month are being clamped as opposed to 5,000 a month before the change.

Surely tax collection should be the remit of HMRC and nothing to do with whatever colour government we have?

Their remit should be to collect tax according to the laws of the land and to perhaps point out to the law making body when their laws are being circumvented and need a tweak.

Is the new road tax system based on whole months like before or is it date specific? eg you tax your car for 12 months on the 16th of April 2015, does the tax expire on the 31st of March 2016 or 14th April 2016?

According to the Grauniad consumer bods, this is already catching people out. 8,000 vehicles a month are being clamped as opposed to 5,000 a month before the change.

Indeed, under the new system its almost impossible to get total continuity of tax validity on a vehicle since a new owner cant tax the vehicle until the old owner has cancelled the existing tax.

Any one of us here on HPC could design a simple, avoidance proof tax system. The fact the pollies haven't done so in the ages of computers and mass data means that they do not want to, either because they will lose financial backing, lose personal benefits, or lose too many votes.

Cowards.

Ever more aggressive pursuit of tax is a classic mainstay of any collapsing country / economy. Ideally if you want to increase revenue you need to build a good economy full of jobs and business and prospects. Unfortunately now we are on the long grind down so it will be ever more aggressive on the plebs till its blood on the streets. 10 grand fines for missing one tv license payment and so on.

If you allow me the comparison, lets peak-a-boo at good ol` medieval times. Whenever the country was in financial trouble (or needed to boost up the treasury in preparation for war), taxes were increased and villagers and feudal lords alike were paying the price to fill up King's Purse.

dariuszen put it very simply and very accurately at the same time!

It's a shakedown, folks. Today's 'citizens' are the medieval villagers and today's businesses - medieval's feudal lords. Nothing much changed really but the names and definitions. Since our military industry is far too incapable to support the failing economy (US are doing a better job), we have to rely on simple shakedown tactics and more borrowing (which will only make it worse for upcoming generations).

Blood on the streets? Love it! :)

When are we killing all bankers and lawyers, I ask?: DD

Is the new road tax system based on whole months like before or is it date specific? eg you tax your car for 12 months on the 16th of April 2015, does the tax expire on the 31st of March 2016 or 14th April 2016?

I think it's month specific. Because of the cancellation and re-taxing on sales, another complaint is that tax is effectively being paid on the same month twice.

Don't buy a car at the end of a month!

If you allow me the comparison, lets peak-a-boo at good ol` medieval times. Whenever the country was in financial trouble (or needed to boost up the treasury in preparation for war), taxes were increased and villagers and feudal lords alike were paying the price to fill up King's Purse.

dariuszen put it very simply and very accurately at the same time!

It's a shakedown, folks. Today's 'citizens' are the medieval villagers and today's businesses - medieval's feudal lords. Nothing much changed really but the names and definitions. Since our military industry is far too incapable to support the failing economy (US are doing a better job), we have to rely on simple shakedown tactics and more borrowing (which will only make it worse for upcoming generations).

Blood on the streets? Love it! :)

When are we killing all bankers and lawyers, I ask?: DD

I do believe there are many more "shakedowns" to come, stupid fines, ridiculous random taxes but the system is already failing and bankrupt. The politicians are stuck between angry proles and banking masters so they are utterly ineffective. You might as well elect jam at the next election for all the difference it will make, it is ******ed and I really hope it gets sorted without blood on the streets but I doubt it.

I dont know if politicians are ignorant of history or if they get into power and realize how ******ed it is and spend there time doing the equivalent of "molebash" but this shit is in desperate trouble.I am expecting to get more trouble of the state until it goes bankrupt which is inevitable now.

I watch tv and think why the ****** do these people want to be elected, what am I missing?

Any one of us here on HPC could design a simple, avoidance proof tax system. The fact the pollies haven't done so in the ages of computers and mass data means that they do not want to, either because they will lose financial backing, lose personal benefits, or lose too many votes.

Cowards.

Just stick all the tax on land, and make it pretty impossible to avoid. They won't of course for obvious reasons.