House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Motorhome Recommendations

I'll probably never do it.... but I like the idea of a motor home/campervan (whatever the difference is !??!).

It must have:

4 safe seats for driving (2 adults, 2 kids)

Cooking/dining facilities

Sleeping room for 2 or even 4

Economical engine (ford diesel for instance, relucant to get anything french)

Don't want

Toilet or shower

Pop top if possible

Any suggestions of makes/models/terminology to limit my internet searches?

What's insurance like on this for limited mileage?

Don't get a Toyota Hiace ... oh ...

Ha ha .... don't worry .... that's just a photo of one like we hired in Oz. Aaah, happy memories ... driving from east to west, telling people china wouldn't always need their minerals. Made a LOT of friends on that trip. Or not :)

Westfalia VW T4 (prefrably 2.5 TDI) / Mercedes Vito /Ford transit if you are not in the market for coach builds

http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen/westfalia.html?isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro‚Ć©=en&scopeId=MH&makeModelVariant1.makeId=25600

Much more choice and better value in Germany if you don`t mind a left hooker

Father in law is just preparing his motorhome for sale. I knowits been well looked after. It is a Bessacar based on Fiat Ducato and don't worry, the gearbox has had the modification everyone needs for the Fiat. PM me if interested. I think it does have a shower and a toilet though.

there is a morothome show in Peterborough this weekend.

Why does that not surprise me?

The coach built motorhomes seem overpriced, fixtures and fittings flimsy, and based around lower quality vans. If inclined toward diy and you have somewhere to park it, a 3.5t (class 7 mot) panel van or former utilities firm crew van would make an ideal starting point. Then get busy with the ply board and self tappers to make the configuration you would like. Mercedes Sprinter and VW LT / Crafters are good. Larger engines are generally the way forward in 3+ year old vans. Eberspacher type heater, 12v leisure batteries for electric, gas burners for cooking. Opinion seems to be to have any additional windows installed professionaly and diy the rest. My only vehicle is a VW LT35 (with mighty 2.8 engine B) ) which is getting on for ten years old and well used for work and leisure, has only ever needed consumables replacing, which is more than I can say for the previous transits and LDVs.