House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Retailers Pulling Out Of Malls

Yeah I live in Southampton. I visit Portsmouth occasionally (the next city along) and apart from the football rivalry, the cities you can look as a pair, with Portsmouth as a junior bellweather. Portsmouth shopping centre, The Cascades has a noticeable amount of shops closed and vacant units over the last 3 years.

I have raised an eyebrow at the news, in Southampton, but it doesn't surprise me. If you drive around, PC Worlds are closing down. B&Q, Homebase etc are all looking to downsize.

We joke about Porsche Cayennes pulling up outside Lidls, but its no joke, when you see a middle aged woman park up on the other side of the car park, in a top end Range Rover, to walk to Home Bargains because she might be embarrassed to be seen.

All is not well in the South East.

The headline says 'five' shops pulling out but if it's anything like the Arcadia brands near me they'll all actually be in the same unit (except maybe Topshop/man).

I read on here that when the Tories were in power, in the past, they were worried by house prices becoming high, because that would damage business.

Until the big businesses are damaged, and the rich owners squeal, then we'll see change. Most of these shops lease/rent their premises....

Yeah I live in Southampton. I visit Portsmouth occasionally (the next city along) and apart from the football rivalry, the cities you can look as a pair, with Portsmouth as a junior bellweather. Portsmouth shopping centre, The Cascades has a noticeable amount of shops closed and vacant units over the last 3 years.

I have raised an eyebrow at the news, in Southampton, but it doesn't surprise me. If you drive around, PC Worlds are closing down. B&Q, Homebase etc are all looking to downsize.

We joke about Porsche Cayennes pulling up outside Lidls, but its no joke, when you see a middle aged woman park up on the other side of the car park, in a top end Range Rover, to walk to Home Bargains because she might be embarrassed to be seen.

All is not well in the South East.

Yep I lived in soton from 95 to 06... Pop back every once in a while.

Hmm, there are major structural changes happening in retail at the mo.

This is not them.

Its Phillip Green garbage shops finally giving up.

Hmm, there are major structural changes happening in retail at the mo.

This is not them.

Such as? I'm intrigued. Looking at opening a shop in the West End right now but genuinely cannot understand how other stores are keeping their heads above water with the eyewatering rents.

Such as? I'm intrigued. Looking at opening a shop in the West End right now but genuinely cannot understand how other stores are keeping their heads above water with the eyewatering rents.

It's quite the mystery.

Its working looking at the articles recently where they discuss the destruction of traditional family businesses in Chinatown which seems a microcosm.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londons-chinatown-could-disappear-in-five-years-as-west-end-rents-soar-10142516.html

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/29/chinatown-restaurants-london-threat-rent-rises

• Residential conversion potential
  • stupid prices paid for freeholds
  • relentless spread of national chains destroying popular independent shopping areas
  • companies loosing money on the London shop to have a base in London
  • Literally incompetent/stupid foreigners coming and paying massively inflated rent and then going bust within months after pushing the bars higher.

It's quite the mystery.

They either own independently, or that business is a status loss leader or in some cases a front for another type of business. ;)

Its working looking at the articles recently where they discuss the destruction of traditional family businesses in Chinatown which seems a microcosm.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londons-chinatown-could-disappear-in-five-years-as-west-end-rents-soar-10142516.html

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/29/chinatown-restaurants-london-threat-rent-rises

• Residential conversion potential
  • stupid prices paid for freeholds
  • relentless spread of national chains destroying popular independent shopping areas
  • companies loosing money on the London shop to have a base in London
  • Literally incompetent/stupid foreigners coming and paying massively inflated rent and then going bust within months after pushing the bars higher.

Cheers. Thanks for the links. Actually I had read these and their experience is entirely consistent with what i'm experiencing.