House Price Crash Forum
pig

Lmao : Land Price Bubble Vs Nimby War Explodes Into Colour

Bottom line is if we insist on pumping up zillion pound land prices, how can we insist on constraining them to site servants quarters ?

£15m townhouse painted 'like a beach hut' after owner sees red over neighbours' complaints

...Mrs Lisle-Mainwaring, who is thought to now live in Switzerland, had applied to have the house – which is currently used to store antiques - demolished and replaced with a five storey property boasting an underground swimming pool and cinema.

But neighbours objected, complaining that there would be too much disruption and the excavation work could lead to structural problems with their own homes....

Mrs Lisle-mainwaring, 66 year old baby boomer millionaire property developer, uses the £15 million townhouse to store antiques.

Priceless.

I read the Grauniad article on this and had to double take that I wasn't reading the Daily Mash...

Saskia Moyle, 18, who lives across the road with her father, said she was shocked to come home one night to discover men up ladders painting the house.

“I went out for dinner one evening about a month ago and when I came back there were people on ladders painting it,” she said. “They didn’t finish one of the stripes because as soon as I arrived they got off the ladders and left.

“I don’t think it belongs here. It kind of glows in the evening. It’s fluorescent. And the half-finished stripe is driving me mad.”

She added: “It’s very fluorescent and very garish. Without sounding very pretentious it isn’t very Kensington. It’s more Camden or something like that.

Priceless!

Edited by SLL

What do people like about those repressive Victorian areas? Any demolition would be an improvement IMO.

I cant understand that great army of Boomers who want to preserve the UK in the image of the 1930's

What do people like about those repressive Victorian areas? Any demolition would be an improvement IMO.

I cant understand that great army of Boomers who want to preserve the UK in the image of the 1930's

I'm not a boomer, and I haven't lived in a victorian house before, but they're the ones I'm favouring when looking about for a place (though what I end up with will be far less grand - probably a cheap old terrace out in the sticks if I'm lucky).

Victorian houses generally (even the less grand ones) seem to have a bit more character, nice high ceilings, bigger rooms, and a more airy open sort of atmosphere. I also quite like their simpler layout. I find them far more appealing than the boxy newer houses with low ceilings. The times I've stayed for short periods in victorian places I've felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulders, compared to the oppressive atmosphere of more modern houses with their low ceilings and boxy little rooms.

Well I'm the opposite. I lived in a 3 storey Victorian house for 14 years and it was a cold draughty money-pit in spite of spending a fortune "doing it up". I lost sight of all the "features" after a while and felt a huge weight lift from my shoulders when I moved to a more modern house where at least you knew the walls, roof and floors were all OK and not liable to require maintenance for a while.

Kirsty and Phil have a lot to answer for. Victorian houses often have a host of hidden problems eg damp; dry/wet rot; rotten joists on the ground floor; problems with the drains (tree roots); holes which let in rats/mice etc etc.

Modern houses have ceilings which are at least two feet too low.

And the walls are made of a single course of bricks. And there are no cupboards. And the rooms are tiny.

Give me a tenement or a townhouse made of stone anyday.

Well I'm the opposite. I lived in a 3 storey Victorian house for 14 years and it was a cold draughty money-pit in spite of spending a fortune "doing it up". I lost sight of all the "features" after a while and felt a huge weight lift from my shoulders when I moved to a more modern house where at least you knew the walls, roof and floors were all OK and not liable to require maintenance for a while.

Kirsty and Phil have a lot to answer for. Victorian houses often have a host of hidden problems eg damp; dry/wet rot; rotten joists on the ground floor; problems with the drains (tree roots); holes which let in rats/mice etc etc.

From what I've read when looking into them, they seem a bit marmite. Lots of people claiming they love them and wouldn't trade them for a modern house, despite recognising all the problems you mention (maybe they just haven't had to put up with it for 14 years yet though!), but also a lot who are saying "never again".

Modern houses have ceilings which are at least two feet too low.

That's the biggest problem I have with new houses. Even an extra foot or two to the ceilings would make all the difference to the way the rooms make me feel.

I read the Grauniad article on this and had to double take that I wasn't reading the Daily Mash...

Priceless!

Absolutely !

Love also the bit about the half finished stripe driving her mad !!!

If the world were a better place THAT would the be mad moment hpi peaked...

Maybe we should actually try building modern houses that have some character instead of soul-crushingly bland rubbish so that we've got housing with all the advantages of old and new without the disadvantages of either? Call me odd but that would actually be progress. Given the choice we've got now though give me the old any day.