House Price Crash Forum

What Has Happened To The Torygraph?

Guest TheBlueCat

HOLA441
Guest TheBlueCat

Well, the online version at least. It used to be a moderately serious newspaper but now it's starting to look more like the Daily Mail. Is the print version going the same way?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It has become a parody of itself.

It has been getting worse for about 18 months, but is now in full Torygraph mode.

It always was biased towards the Conservative party but at least had credible news stories from time to time.

Now it's just outright propaganda. The sense of dismay there there will be anything other than a Conservative victory is palpable. As is the terror that the eventual outcome might be a Labour led coalition.

The articles never really change, only the headlines do.

The big one at the top is either "Why you should vote Conservative" or "Why you shouldn't vote Labour"

Below that are a few news articles one of which is always anti EU and another is some sabre rattling against Russia.

The column in the middle is full of aspirational, irrelevant things like how your son or daughter can be a millionaire if they apply themselves in a country run by the Conservatives, and often about programmes that nobody really watches but pretends that they do.

In one of these sections there's usually a dig at the BBC somewhere.

Further down under 'More News Headlines' there's usually a list of "things to be indignant about" and finally underneath that a section called "Finance" which got pushed further down because there isn't usually much in the way of Good News to report unless it's going on about the nutty EU again.

The brief isn't difficult to reverse-engineer.

Have a look on any given day and see how close the above is to what you see.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I am amazed how such a poor and bad copy of the Mail it is. They hired some guy from the US to make it a major force online - and are paying his shedloads of money allegedly - but it has simply got worse IMPO.

It is simple - you look at the Mail and copy it. Simple.

Most of the articles on the Torygraph website you cannot comment on - and usually it is the exact ones you wish to comment on such as Islamification or something about a Conservative MP.

It has been the same in the print media for years re the weekend supplement. The Mail gets enormous ciriculation for its two weekend supplements and all the other newspapers have tried to copy it but, bizarrely, they seem unable to copy it.

HOLA446

The interesting thing is, how anti Telegraph and even how anti Conservative party many of the commenters are.Lots of anti barclay brothers comments too. There has been a similar development at the Guardian, although not so extreme. And I don't mean the trolls, I mean their natural readership despairing at what it has become. Still lots of slavish milliband love though.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The interesting thing is, how anti Telegraph and even how anti Conservative party many of the commenters are.Lots of anti barclay brothers comments too. There has been a similar development at the Guardian, although not so extreme. And I don't mean the trolls, I mean their natural readership despairing at what it has become. Still lots of slavish milliband love though.

Going back 3-4 years the comments all seemed to be relatively balanced, then almost overnight they became dominated by the raving pro-ukip anti-EU liblabcon brigade.

I have to say I have the feeling that there's some kind of directing mind or body behind the comments and they aren't what they appear to be.

I saw the same thing over the Scottish referendum, vast numbers of cybernats drowning everyone else out with repetetive "cut and paste" comments.

HOLA449

Very much so. The comments section became hilarious (I stopped reading a while back) when the 'Vote UKIP' brigade took over.

At first, you might see a reasoned comment or two, perhaps about immigration, with the concluding line as above making sense in context.

Now it doesn't matter what the comment or context is.

"I had bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Vote UKIP"

"I feel for that little girl.

Vote UKIP"

"Now I've had the time of my life, and I never felt like this before.

Vote UKIP"

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Going back 3-4 years the comments all seemed to be relatively balanced, then almost overnight they became dominated by the raving pro-ukip anti-EU liblabcon brigade.

I have to say I have the feeling that there's some kind of directing mind or body behind the comments and they aren't what they appear to be.

I saw the same thing over the Scottish referendum, vast numbers of cybernats drowning everyone else out with repetetive "cut and paste" comments.

I still think I see a lot of frustration among the traditional readership of both papers.

HOLA4412

I still think I see a lot of frustration among the traditional readership of both papers.

I've been having a look at the Guardian website recently.

Used to look at the Telegraph daily because as long as you know the agenda and what it's trying to tell you to think you can see past that and read the scant snippets of news that are occasionally available. Now there's little in the way of news on there anyway.

The Guardian seems almost balanced by comparison, but it doesn't take long to scroll down and see the comments - Margaret Thatcher, the bedroom tax, the cuts, the nasty party. It's no better.

I did come across one where someone with an inkling of common sense waded in responding to one of the "It woz Fatcher wot done it" posts and simply challenged the OP on the basis that they would have barely been born when she was in power. That was then met with a fair amount of vitriol with the OP conceding the point, and then continuing their abuse of her in effect speaking with their parents voices.

It's tribal. I think people with common sense just give up and stay away in the end. I used to wade onto the main forum on here when something had gone hysterically left wing beyond all sense and reason but I can't be bothered now, life's too short.

HOLA4413

The Guardian seems almost balanced by comparison, but it doesn't take long to scroll down and see the comments - Margaret Thatcher, the bedroom tax, the cuts, the nasty party. It's no better.

Don't read the comments! The comments on all the newspaper websites seem to be the same, dominated by a small number of shouty loons of one persuasion or another. On the rare occasions when I buy a real paper, it's a real relief to get to the end of a story and not find all this b*llocks at the bottom.

Edit: ********.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've been having a look at the Guardian website recently.

a fair amount of vitriol

It is very offputting. Primary school stuff. I just skim through for the funny comments. They are often very good

I just started rereading it again myself this last week. Election I suppose

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The Telegraph is not what is was. Whatever you may have thought of its politics, I remember it as being well written. I don't think it's as good now.

HOLA4418
Guest TheBlueCat

The Telegraph is not what is was. Whatever you may have thought of its politics, I remember it as being well written. I don't think it's as good now.

I agree, the writing used to be grammatically good at least, it's not even that any more.

Is the printed version just as bad as the website?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I agree, the writing used to be grammatically good at least, it's not even that any more.

Is the printed version just as bad as the website?

Haven't read it in years, but used to buy it daily and read the sunday version cover to cover in the pub (those were the days) - I knew it had a right wing agenda, but I would just read it with a mental filter and found the writing and the coverage excellent

A friend told me they're on the ropes financially and can't afford the lineup they used to have of proper journos

HOLA4423

A friend told me they're on the ropes financially and can't afford the lineup they used to have of proper journos

I think that's about the size of it.

The BBC can spew out vast amounts of news content free of charge thanks to the licence fee, The Guardian can do pretty much the same thanks to it's de-facto subsidy from its public sector jobs section.

The non-subsidised press are being crucified by the move away from paper to online content, how are they supposed to compete against providers who are happy to give their content away for free?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived