House Price Crash Forum

Right To Buy Announcement Tomorrow: 70% Off!

zugzwang

HOLA441

Hopefully, the 'squeezed middle' will not miss the fact that this means subsidised houses for lower income people able to access Housing Association property, and not them. They will experience a further inflationary pressure on the prices they have to pay themselves.

Earn more = get less

With "HTB" and now this, the Government has gone in to full on ponzi mode.

I have to get out of this country before they use my taxes to f*** anybody elses future.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Anyone else getting the feeling that the heart of all Tory policy on housing is a just an attempt to wind up the hpc massive? People are joking about 70% discounts to private renters, but why not? It would hardly be more startling and bonkers than everything that has gone before...

Shame that this present insanity was preceded by thirteen years of Labour party policy which also appeared to centre around winding up anyone weird enough to suppose that houses could not possibly be cash machines for everyone for ever.

This latest from the political class just smacks of a total determination to drum up mortgage business by any means whatsoever. NewBuy, HTB equity loans and mortgage guarantees, allowing people to cash out defined contribution pots in the hope that some of it flows into buy-to-let and now this...

I really hope that Cameron wins. Firstly for the sheer performance-art aspect of it; what's next in the attempt to shore up UK property? Secondly, in the hope that they are around to reap the whirlwind.

HOLA446

Anyone else getting the feeling that the heart of all Tory policy on housing is a just an attempt to wind up the hpc massive? People are joking about 70% discounts to private renters, but why not? It would hardly be more startling and bonkers than everything that has gone before...

Shame that this present insanity was preceded by thirteen years of Labour party policy which also appeared to centre around winding up anyone weird enough to suppose that houses could not possibly be cash machines for everyone for ever.

This latest from the political class just smacks of a total determination to drum up mortgage business by any means whatsoever. NewBuy, HTB equity loans and mortgage guarantees, allowing people to cash out defined contribution pots in the hope that some of it flows into buy-to-let and now this...

I really hope that Cameron wins. Firstly for the sheer performance-art aspect of it; what's next in the attempt to shore up UK property? Secondly, in the hope that they are around to reap the whirlwind.

My moneys on negative gearing Aussie style

HOLA447
HOLA448

If I was a BTL landlord I would be getting a bit queasy about the Tory proposals to force HA;s to sell off properties to tenants since these assets legally belong to private not public entities. I note from many of the comments on the major media sites that some people are asking why people renting from one class of private landlord be treated differently from those renting from another. It is a very strange proposal from a party that supposedly believes in the sanctity of private property.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA449

I'm sure if this policy was even suggested to private rentals longer than e.g. 10+yrs then eviction notices will be printing non-stop on that Laserjet 4L my landlord owns and I'll be out on the street tomorrow

Edited by madmax2

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I also kind of hope the Tories win now. Bring it on - they will only hasten the crash.

That won't happen....all it will be is a botch job of the lot of them.

I am sure someone with a creative imagination can think of how a mix of helpful manifesto polices could be put together....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Quite right, it's nuts.

I really, really hope this one bites them - I haven't read a single positive comment on any publication this morning.

Frankly. HA tenants have already won the housing lottery, as ridiculous as that sounds - they are in a far better position than most renters, with secure long tenancies, low rents, and semi-decent landlords. Probably the least deserving of handouts of any demographic.

Totally agree. To add insult to injury, if the policy goes ahead then these HA tenants are free to claim Housing Benefit up to the point of exercising their Right To Buy. <_<

WHAT ABOUT PRIVATE TENANTS?!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It is bizarre that offering food , drink and entertainment to the punters falls foul of the electoral law but apparently massive bribes with public money to a few select HA tenants is fine

A person is guilty of treating if either before,
during or after an election they directly or
indirectly give or provide any food, drink,
entertainment or provision to corruptly
influence any voter to vote or refrain from
voting.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/149729/List-of-electoral-offences.pdf

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4418

Private tenants need to keep sucking it up and pay their LLs their rent money, have you not seen the price of boomer cruises!!. Private renters will also need to pay more taxes to cover the ex-HA 'home-owners' mortgage payments with SMI payments ... as it will not be possible to evict these home-owners either.

Sh!t the bed! :(

HOLA4419

I'm sure if this policy was even suggested to private rentals longer than e.g. 10+yrs then eviction notices will be printing non-stop on that Laserjet 4L my landlord owns and I'll be out on the street tomorrow

Ahh....the greatest consumer printer of all time. Mine is 22 years old this June. Still on the original toner cartridge - everytime I think it's running out, pop it out, give it a shake, and hey presto, 4ppm and 300dpi goodness returns.

Astonishing piece of kit.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Private tenants need to keep sucking it up and pay their LLs their rent money, have you not seen the price of boomer cruises!!. Private renters will also need to pay more taxes to cover the ex-HA 'home-owners' mortgage payments with SMI payments ... as it will not be possible to evict these home-owners either.

Don't worry rich people, HA renters, politicians, boomers - WE'VE GOT YOUR BACK. - private renters who actually do stuff to earn money to pay taxes to give away to you lot.

HOLA4422

If I was a BTL landlord I would be getting a bit queasy about the Tory proposals to force HA;s to sell off properties to tenants since these assets legally belong to private not public entities. I note from many of the comments on the major media sites that some people are asking why people renting from one class of private landlord be treated differently from those renting from another. It is a very strange proposal from a party that supposedly believes in the sanctity of private property.

I think a lot of LL``s in the private sector would be more than happy to sell if the government cover the discount pound for pound

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Ah well, this has helped me decide who not to vote for next month.

Just sent a message to my local Conservative MPs advising them what a vote loser it is:

https://www.writetothem.com

PS. Hi everyone.

PPS. For the person who asked: Mumsnet thread for old time's sake http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2354882-So-now-the-Tories-are-bringing-back-the-Right-to-Buy-scheme-Anyone-else-think-theyre-losing-the-plot

Edited by christhpc