House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Smith

Biggleswade,beds

Thanks to nethouse prices, I have noticed 2 brand new houses (5 bed exec detached types) ...

November 2004 = Sold for £499k

June 2005 - for sale at £525k

Now = for sale at £499k ...

April 2004 = For sale at £500k

June 2005 - for sale at £480k

Now = for sale at £450k

Also, older stock -

3 bed semi = 1 month ago, for sale at £249k

Now, for sale at £239k ... drop of 4% ish in a month.

3 bed terraced ... 6 months ago £155k, then came down over the months .. now £134k - drop of 12%ish.

3 bed detached .... £399k at year start, now offers over £335k

2 bed detached ... £199k at year start, now offers over £155k

I am sure there are examples to the contrary, but accorinding to the press I am supposed to believe that things are on the turn????? - maybe they are in SOME areas, but not others.

Add to this sipps, mortgage brokers pulling out of BTL new build, etc.etc ... then what way are things going?

I am moving to the area for a new job and interested in the Biggleswade/Potton/Sandy triangle.

Any news? I am thinking about renting to begin with. But buying is not out of the question.

I am moving to the area for a new job and interested in the Biggleswade/Potton/Sandy triangle.

Any news? I am thinking about renting to begin with. But buying is not out of the question.

I moved to Biggleswade in 1999 and left again in 2005 for work reasons.

I liked Biggleswade. Good schools, parks, shops, leisure centre, A1, mainline train station, library, footy teams.

People are friendly enough, bit stand-offish at first, a few "youre not from round here" types but you get that everywhere.

Hard to get to know people well. A lot of them grew up in the area, went to school together, several generations, so lots of community politics. That is slowly changing as commuter belt types come in. Keep your nose clean and contribute to the place and you will be fine. Great place for kids, lots of amateur footy. Big Sainsbury's in Biggleswade. If you need high-tech employment, cinema or hospitals though its a bit of a hike to Stevenage, Cambridge and/or Bedford so be sure thats OK with you.

My advice would be to watch out for the gypsy sites. There are some notorious ones around Hatch and Potton.

Biggleswade is better for trains. Quicker, with more expresses. I think Sandy is a nicer place on balance and has a better school and leisure centre. All depends what you are into. On balance you will have more possibilites in Biggleswade.

In Biggleswade try to buy near the town centre. I lived on the South end of Drove Road. Avoid the top end where it joins with Potton Road. Avoid the new estates unless you are very fond of driving everywhere.

Avoid Potton. The locals call it "rotton potton".

A friend who lives in Gamlingay really likes it but its a way from the A1.

Prices wise my house changed by +75% between 1999 and 2005, so its got a bit berzerk. You can still get a good sized four bed Victorian house with gardens, parking etc in decent condition for about the 250K mark. They seem to stick about there due to stamp duty.

I hope you enjoy living there as much as we did. We have very happy memories of the place.

Good luck.

I live in biggleswade, from what I see prices seem to be holding up, according to the BBCs website up 2% YOY.

I think this is reflected in the fact that the small highstreet has 9 estate agents still - used to be 11 (up n till about 3 months ago) so I'd say business is holding up.

So I would not say these are price falls just EA's overpricing at the start to get the business in a very competitve town.