House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norseraider

Greenwich: "for Sale" Signs Popping Up

I've lived in Greenwich for a number of years.

It's a very mixed borough, with posh bits near the park, and more average homes elsewhere.

It is quite unusual to see the big posh houses come up for sale.

I think people mainly have these as family homes, with no intention of ever leaving.

Recently I've caught the scent of something changing. I have seen three "For Sale" signs pop up over the last couple of weeks, on streets where I have never seen any before.

My instinct is that we are seeing people cashing in their London homes for a change of lifestyle. If you were nearing early retirement anyway, and getting a bit fed up with the London Hipster Theme Park, I can imagine there would be quite an incentive to flog your London town-house, take the million quid, move to a sprawling farmhouse in Devon, and start working on your book.

I will keep you posted on whether the trend continues, and how quickly (if at all) places go SSTC.

I've lived in Greenwich for a number of years.

It's a very mixed borough, with posh bits near the park, and more average homes elsewhere.

My instinct is that we are seeing people cashing in their London homes for a change of lifestyle. If you were nearing early retirement anyway, and getting a bit fed up with the London Hipster Theme Park, I can imagine there would be quite an incentive to flog your London town-house, take the million quid, move to a sprawling farmhouse in Devon, and start working on your book.

I've been wondering why Londoners don't sell up for at least the last 10 years. Many of the people living in fairly ordinary houses in fairly ordinary areas in West London must be "millionaires". They could buy a boat or a farm in Argentina or never work again if they wanted. I know not everyone thinks like that, but surely 10% of the population has a secret fantasy?

I was doing a bit of rightmoving over the weekend, and was actually surprised how "cheap" Greenwich is. Cheaper than West London, anyway.

Edited by Steppenpig

I use to live up the road in Abbeywood,Im now in Devon........south east london is one scarey place,let alone trying to bring kids up there!! I used to work for the DSS visiting around there,and if you knew the real dark side you would never ever live anywhere near!!

I've been wondering why Londoners don't sell up for at least the last 10 years. Many of the people living in fairly ordinary houses in fairly ordinary areas in West London must be "millionaires". They could buy a boat or a farm in Argentina or never work again if they wanted. I know not everyone thinks like that, but surely 10% of the population has a secret fantasy?

I was doing a bit of rightmoving over the weekend, and was actually surprised how "cheap" Greenwich is. Cheaper than West London, anyway.

It is true that there must be plenty of people who could technically sell up and go to Costa Rica to drink beer in the sun.

I guess people stay because they feel it's their home. They have family and friends in the UK, or are committed to their career, or have kids in school here. Also, emigrating is a daunting prospect and a lot of people are risk averse (even with the potential upsides of sun/beer).

Also, most of these people will be in couples -- and then you need both halves to want the same Argentinian farm, otherwise you are stuck!

Incidentally, yes, Greenwich is cheaper than West London, but mainly because West London is horrifically overpriced. There are certain West London postcodes that are a "must" among the flash and the rich, and all the associated wannabes -- and frankly they can keep it.

Edited by norseraider

I use to live up the road in Abbeywood,Im now in Devon........south east london is one scarey place,let alone trying to bring kids up there!! I used to work for the DSS visiting around there,and if you knew the real dark side you would never ever live anywhere near!!

There is a world of difference between Abbey Wood and West Greenwich!

But then, all of London is a patchwork.

There is a world of difference between Abbey Wood and West Greenwich!

But then, all of London is a patchwork.

The (vermin) are right on your doorstep,when I was there the vermin would prey on the toffs that bought houses in greenwich,I remember a local toff getting stabbed when they car jacked him for an audi TT,right outside his house,there is more vermin than "normals" if you left something in your car after 9pm best leave it there unless you have a bear attack suit handy :D

The (vermin) are right on your doorstep,when I was there the vermin would prey on the toffs that bought houses in greenwich,I remember a local toff getting stabbed when they car jacked him for an audi TT,right outside his house,there is more vermin than "normals" if you left something in your car after 9pm best leave it there unless you have a bear attack suit handy :D

Not my experience of living in Greenwich. Maybe the vermin don't want my 11 year old car :D

Yeah I've lived in Catford for all but 4 years of my life (when I lived in Southampton), and I've had trouble precisely once, 20 years ago when I was 15 a drunk geezer made a half-arsed attempt to mug me for my Walkman. I got in a bit of pagga in Southampton (admittedly of my own choosing- I intervened in a bike theft), and so I wouldn't say it's more dangerous here than anywhere else.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like to leave (can't really unless we work out a way to drag the in-laws along) but people who say London's dangerous need to mentally toughen up IMO...

I remember as a younger man (19) walking under the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.. one side to the other (then back that way later), underneath the Thames. It won't mean much to locals, and those so used to it on here, but I was surprised it existed.. didn't expect such a tunnel. We'd went to London for a week for a cultural explore. Sort of seems like it was a different person now.

The tunnel was opened the 4th of August 1902. It is 1217 feet in length and takes just under ten minutes to walk through.

A distant contact's father sold the long-owned family house in Greenwich for a big price in the last few years... he already long owned another nice house outright in Kent that he had been renting out to others (including members of his own family at a below-market-value rent).

I recall one episode of Only Fools and Horses, a joke made that Greenwich would be 'under water' - either in time or some event.

Greenwich is the sixth most likely London borough to flood, new figures reveal. Research by property consultants Groundsure revealed that 22,840 homes in the borough were at risk of being deluged.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11790253.How_likely_is_your_home_to_flood__Greenwich__Lewisham_and_Bexley_in_top_ten__at_risk__boroughs/?ref=mr

Greenwich does have a fair proportion of scum; I stay in hotels there sometimes when in town if not staying with friends and you need your wits about you post dark, that's to be sure.

I remember as a younger man (19) walking under the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.. one side to the other (then back that way later), underneath the Thames. It won't mean much to locals, and those so used to it on here, but I was surprised it existed.. didn't expect such a tunnel. We'd went to London for a week for a cultural explore. Sort of seems like it was a different person now.

The tunnel was opened the 4th of August 1902. It is 1217 feet in length and takes just under ten minutes to walk through.

A distant contact's father sold the long-owned family house in Greenwich for a big price in the last few years... he already long owned another nice house outright in Kent that he had been renting out to others (including members of his own family at a below-market-value rent).

I recall one episode of Only Fools and Horses, a joke made that Greenwich would be 'under water' - either in time or some event.

Iron Maiden's video for their 1984 rock song "2 Minutes to Midnight" was filmed in that tunnel :)

My buddies and I once rolled down the slope on a wheelie foot-stool ... hilarious until a wheel came off...

Greenwich does have a fair proportion of scum; I stay in hotels there sometimes when in town if not staying with friends and you need your wits about you post dark, that's to be sure.

Which hotels? If the Ibis, Novotel or Mercure, these are all in perfectly safe areas -- there might be some drunken visitors / tourists around, but even at night it's relatively busy in a reassuring way. No chance of any real trouble. Even the Deptford Bridge Travelodge is actually pretty safe, even though the area feels a bit bleak.

It's all anecdotal innit, but there have been a couple more "for sale" signs appear on these posh streets in Greenwich - by far the most activity I've seen on them in the last 2 years. They seem to be going "SSTC" fairly swiftly - no more than a couple of months. At least one was on the market and then came off again pretty quickly.

My instinct is that people are calling the top of the market and fleeing to the country with a pocket full of dosh.

Example:

http://www.johnpayne.com/p/4-bedroom-house-in-circus-street-west-greenwich-se10-193264/