House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Not Enough Maternity Places At Hospital For Impending Baby Boom

My daughter was recently born in a lovely hospital, admittedly it is one built in recent years with PFI. However during the birth (which actually took two days) I took to asking casual questions like how busy does it get?

I was told that sometimes the maternity unit (birthing centre and neo-natal Intensive care unit (NICU)) can be so busy that they have to send expectant mothers at short notice to surrounding hospitals which can be 15-20 miles away.

I was doing some research for work on birth rates and we now have an increasing population (not due to immigration) due to birth rate and sometime over the next 15 - 20 years the UK will reach the replacement rate which hasn't been seen since the postwar baby boom.

So if new hospitals are struggling with capacity now what will it be like in future years as more babies are born?

Could we see the return of stand alone Maternity Hospitals?

Many congratulations on the birth of your little daughter.

My elder is expecting her first within the next week or two. I am very glad she is booked in to an excellent hospital in Oxford - hope it won't be full up on the day! I would hope they would not send her elsewhere, esp. since she is an 'older' first time mother. Though I was ten years younger than her when I had her, and the notes still called me an 'elderly' primigravida (iPad just changed that to 'prime raving' - prime worry-guts might be more apt at the moment...

I wonder how much of that is people putting off kids till later in life? Certainly seems to be a lot of 35-45 year old first time parents in our local batch.

I wonder how much of that is people putting off kids till later in life? Certainly seems to be a lot of 35-45 year old first time parents in our local batch.

Most of the mums on the wards seem over a certain age and my partner fits your 35 - 45 grouping, one thing I did notice was on passing the entrance of NICU the parents again seem to be of a certain age (under 25).

The birth rate projections are that they will keep rising for next 15 - 20 years