House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

"house Of Cards", Us Version [Spoilers]

What do you think of Netflix's series, House of Cards, with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright as the villainous protagonists? I thought it started off good in the first two seasons, but going somewhat awry in the latest season, with a season finale that's a weird mix of Se7en and a more gritty Dallas (salvaged by the acting and directing).

I really enjoyed the first series. Lost interest in the second one. I didn't watch the last two episodes, so probably won't bother even starting three.

If you're finding it a hard slog already with the second season (perhaps my favourite with Gerald McRaney as that faux affable, faux modest billionaire and Terry Chen, the PRC plutocrat with the interesting sex life) then it sounds like S3 wouldn't be for you. While I can understand the Underwoods would find the Oval Office a cumbersome, anti-climatic burden after putting most of their energy and planning into gaining power rather than competently wielding it, I felt they were given the "idiot ball" in S3.

Also binge watching it made me feel quite depressed and bleak, when the more decent, tragic characters (played by Reg E. Cathey, Rachel Brosnahan, Corey Stoll, and Sebastian Arcelus) get to become pawns or liabilities to be brutally disposed of.

What do you think of Netflix's series, House of Cards, with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright as the villainous protagonists? I thought it started off good in the first two seasons, but going somewhat awry in the latest season, with a season finale that's a weird mix of Se7en and a more gritty Dallas (salvaged by the acting and directing).

Big fan and although series 3 was different still enjoyed. Some subtle dialogue and hints that Frank has found after all these years his morals and wants actually to deliver something lasting whilst Claire is the colder Lady Macbeth Character who will step on him.

I simply don't get American television, you already know they will flog the horse long after it's dead. It's an appalling model for story telling. Any decent story needs a beginning, middle and end, but with most US shows you never really get a decent conclusion because it's a constant battle between the writers and the commissioning TV companies.

I watched the first couple of episodes, didn't really grab me at all. The British version was excellent, in no short way because it was a 6 part story, a beginning, middle and and end. If you want to do another one, great make it another 6 part with an end.

There are exceptions but rarely, The Wire was consistently good, although in that case it was the British model, each season was capable of being watched as a stand alone event.

Edit : That's not to say American television is bad, it's often brilliant it just annoys the hell out of me. So many series either get cancelled or get dragged on to the point of failure. I have a ton I would love to watch but I know up front there will be no resolution.

I enjoyed the British version but struggled to get through the 1st episode of the US version.

Staceys character was, to me, a passive aggressive weakling. At one point his wife talked to him like he was her employee and he responded like he actually was her employee. People have told me it gets better but after the disappointment of E1, I've no interest at all in seeing episode 2 or beyond.

Francis is very passive aggressive, but certainly no real weakling and can be quite outwardly bullying/intimidating (but it doesn't seem to work as well when the POTUS).

I enjoyed the British version but struggled to get through the 1st episode of the US version.

Staceys character was, to me, a passive aggressive weakling. At one point his wife talked to him like he was her employee and he responded like he actually was her employee. People have told me it gets better but after the disappointment of E1, I've no interest at all in seeing episode 2 or beyond.

TBH the dynamics of their relationship is one of the key themes of the show. I did start to lose interest in the show during season 2, though.