House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Rotherham Council Managers' Pay 'should Increase'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-32249315

Recruits to senior management posts at Rotherham Council should be paid more due to "negative publicity" about the authority, a committee has agreed.

A report to councillors outlined potential difficulties in attracting the best candidates.

A criminal investigation was launched after the council was found "not fit for purpose" over its handling of child sexual exploitation cases.

The decision will be put before the full council for approval on 22 May.

In the report to the staffing committee, Phil Howe, director of human resources, says "additional financial incentives" may be needed.

An investigation found that more than 1,400 children had been subjected to abuse in the town over 16 years.

O FFS, clearly Rotherham failed because the previous post holders weren't paid enough and to hire competent people we need to pay them more!!!

I can imagine that you'll be struggling to hire troughers of the highest order unless you increase the pay. I wonder if this will also ensure the Director of HR gets a pay increase as well???

What ever happened to hiring people in lower pay and increasing it if they performed well?

As I mentioned on another thread.

Take a drive down the lovely southern Unthank Road in Norwich.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/norwich/unthank-road-nr4/?q=unthank%20road%20norwich&search_source=house-prices

A sea of labour and the odd green party flags on £500k + houses no other parties.

People are greedy and ungrateful buggers even HTB, FFL etc which had handed these folks 200K in paper wealth have not made them grateful to the current government.

They actually believe we have had savage cuts!

Apparently 1 in 4 people in Norwich work for or rely on the public sector. I wonder what the proportion of jobs over 50k is.

Edited by Fromage Frais

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/norwich/unthank-road-nr4/?q=unthank%20road%20norwich&search_source=house-prices

A sea of labour and the odd green party flags on £500k + houses no other parties.

People are greedy and ungrateful buggers even HTB, FFL etc which had handed these folks 200K in paper wealth have not made them grateful to the current government.

Apparently 1 in 4 people in Norwich work for or rely on the public sector. I wonder what the proportion of jobs over 50k is.

Unthank Road? Lol.

What are prices like on Entitlement Drive?

From what I have been able to determine.....probably very few. The majority of those on over £50K, and in public sector, will likely be senior medical bods at nearby hospital, GPs, dentists, etc. Even the university of east anglia (one of the major 'public sector' employers in the area) pays pretty low for senior staff compared to similar staff at other 'provincial' univeristies.

As for the 1 in 4 proportion.....wouldn't that actually be below national average???

The thing that makes Norwich prices really nutty is that they are really high relative to local earnings. Take a peek at, say the Norfolk council jobs page. Even those public sector senior jobs that are available are on salaries very much lower then encountered elsewhere in the country.

I suspect that much of the recent prices rises in Norwich have been driven by London money. People willing to do the 2 hour train commute to their job in the square mile, within short walk of Liverpool street station. Take your £100K+ london salary and be able to buy a grand house of the sort you would never be able to afford inside the M25.

Edited by anonguest

From what I have been able to determine.....probably very few. The majority of those on over £50K, and in public sector, will likely be senior medical bods at nearby hospital, GPs, dentists, etc. Even the university of east anglia (one of the major 'public sector' employers in the area) pays pretty low for senior staff compared to similar staff at other 'provincial' univeristies.

As for the 1 in 4 proportion.....wouldn't that actually be below national average???

The thing that makes Norwich prices really nutty is that they are really high relative to local earnings. Take a peek at, say the Norfolk council jobs page. Even those public sector senior jobs that are available are on salaries very much lower then encountered elsewhere in the country.

I suspect that much of the recent prices rises in Norwich have been driven by London money. People willing to do the 2 hour train commute to their job in the square mile, within short walk of Liverpool street station. Take your £100K+ london salary and be able to buy a grand house of the sort you would never be able to afford inside the M25.

I lived in Norwich on the early 90's and even then it was city workers commuting that were pushing up house prices. It's not a wealthy city and, to be frank, outsiders aren't welcome. I used to send a squash playing acquitance of mine (a local) in to pay my garage bills as he would get A discount as a result of his accent...

Do some FOI requests and find out the salaries at the council

http://chronic-oldham.co.uk/ombcsalaries.html

Lovely stats to look at

Average salary plus allowances & employer pension contributions @ 17% for top 53 employees

£91,127.00

LA really abuse stats on wages.

They ave a large number of people on relatively low wages and a small-ish clique of stupid wages.

They quote 'the average xxxx council worker earns 20k', covering up theres very littel beweetn 22k and the 60k+ wages

LA really abuse stats on wages.

They ave a large number of people on relatively low wages and a small-ish clique of stupid wages.

They quote 'the average xxxx council worker earns 20k', covering up theres very littel beweetn 22k and the 60k+ wages

They also fail to mention that some are part time. Unions do the same on pensions saying the average pension is £x, when what really matters is the average pension for someone who worked there for 25 years full time.