House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

Ripping Dvds

Now that I have no worry about running out of dataspace nowadays with increasingly expansive USB sticks, cloud storage taking off and fairly affordable external hard drives, and with the DVDs now slowly going the way of the VHS and becoming awkward to keep (they start to slowly crack, scratch and smudge, etc), I've purchased CDBurnerXP to copy DVDs more reliably than my Windows Media Player (which is more suited to ripping music CDs).

The CDBurnerXP copies the data from DVDs to the hard drive, but I notice it takes around two to three hours to complete (more complex and dense than music on disc) and the copied data is an "inert" .mdf file that I can't play or use conveniently. Thanks.

ImgBurn = winning.

Just make sure you remove the "Rollaround advert engine"!

I just want to do the equivalent of feeding an absolutely massive amount of DVD box sets into a computer - don't want to do it manually myself but probably possible to get a robotic arm to do it fairly easily, I suppose- then have some sort of bespoke TV channels tailored for me with a smart element of it recognising if I flick to another channel it recycles round that episode later as it was unwatched.

Basically, I do quite like channel hopping random stuff whilst I'm eating or only half-watching but want to screen out all the crap like the news or the one show so the channel hopping is all reasonable stuff.

I went through a short phase of meticulously ripping and encoding a load of my DVDs (back when storage was a bit more expensive), but this got superseded by Netflix and other streaming services. Dumping them straight to ISO is not a bad idea but still around 8-9GB a dual-layer disc.

I always used AnyDVD to circumvent any protection on them.

It'll probably be cheaper and simpler to get a sub to netflix and/or NowTV.

I've got Amazon Prime and Netflix, which makes DVDs more irrelevant (with BluRay the equivalent of vinyl). but it seems wasteful not to download the DVDs I like that I don't want to play to death.

I've got Amazon Prime and Netflix, which makes DVDs more irrelevant (with BluRay the equivalent of vinyl). but it seems wasteful not to download the DVDs I like that I don't want to play to death.

But you'll install software from some bloke off ebay???

But you'll install software from some bloke off ebay???

I trust downloads from random websites less and what's wrong with keeping USBs and physical discs by in case something happens to the laptop?

I used to keep a copy of all my setup files, but new versions get released so frequently I don't bother any more.

I always use softpedia to download, and never a hint of malware, but recently they've gone for a new tiled interface which makes finding what you want 10 times longer. Sourceforgenet is of course also safe, but a but clunky.

There are a few dodgy sites around (brothersoft, softronic)