House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

What Was That All About Then? Odd Crazes.

Crazes of whatever kind that never really made sense.

Hearing Keith Michell name-checked reminded me of Captain Beaky (and his band).

Three albums, a number five single. Several TV appearances.

It wasn't actually bad, but it wasn't exactly good either. Ninety nine times out of a hundred that sort of thing goes nowhere but this went huge for some unknown reason.

Captain Beaky & His Band (Not Forgetting Hissing Sid!!!) (commonly shortened to Captain Beaky & His Band or Captain Beaky) is the title of two albums (volumes 1 and 2) of poetry by Jeremy Lloyd, set to music by Jim Parker and recited by various British celebrities. The albums generated two books of poetry, BBC television shows, a West End musical, a pantomime ("Captain Beaky and His Musical Christmas" performed by Twiggy, Eleanor Bron, Keith Michell, and Jeremy Lloyd at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, London in December 1981), performances by the National Youth Ballet of Great Britain, and a gala in aid of UNICEF[1] performed by Roger Moore, Joanna Lumley, Jeremy Lloyd and the National Youth Ballet at the Royal Albert Hall, London in December 2011. The first album was released on vinyl in 1977 and the second in 1980. Both were re-released on compact disc in 2002.

Captain Beaky's band consist of Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat. The title track from the first album, "Captain Beaky", was released as a 7 inch single with "Wilfred the Weasel" and "Blanche" on the B-side by Polydor in 1980; it reached Number 5 in the UK pop charts. The song informs us that:

The bravest animals in the land are Captain Beaky and his band

That's Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat

They march through the woodlands singing songs

that tell how they have righted wrongs.

According to Jonathan Rowlands,[2] the producer of both albums, when United Kingdom disc jockey Noel Edmonds heard colleague Tony Blackburn play the record, "...he grabbed it from his turntable, played it just once, and the result was that an atomic scientist who was on secondment with the British Museum, upon hearing the show and recognising that Captain Beaky's bete-noir [sic] Hissing Sid was not all that bad, wrote in [to the BBC] proclaiming "Hissing Sid Is Innocent Okay!".

The character of Hissing Sid is a snake, mentioned in both "Captain Beaky" on the first album and "The Trial of Hissing Sid" on the second. The slogan "Hissing Sid is Innocent!" became a popular catch phrase, appearing everywhere including as a graffito on walls (sometimes as a modification for earlier "George Davis is Innocent!" graffiti, especially after Davis' second conviction), on badges, and on car stickers.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Beaky_and_His_Band

511247c83f84f2b9404261f69f5a96a6.jpg

Yes eveyone had bruised wrists!

511247c83f84f2b9404261f69f5a96a6.jpg

No go nowadays....banned now due to 'elf & safety....no tag, no conkers, no climbing trees, no clackers, no risk,no life.....heaven forbid kids today might graze a little finger, slip and fall and be sued by big brother......blame/claim not again.....no I think they should sit in 'so called' safety and silence in front of a screen talking to something that can't be seen.... body language and interaction with real people and things a distant memory of the past....happy days. ;)

http://www.retroland.com/click-clacks-clackers-kerbangers/

...edit before pulled up about it.

I remember a craze for putting folded cardboard in the front spokes of your bike to produce a rather feeble 'engine' noise.

Sorry...

We had a frogspawn-collecting craze every year around this time.

We took them from one pond to a pond we made in our garden! We still made frogs! Today this is illegal.

Stop showing me Angels! One day I will have to see the last one, and it won't look like that.

We took them from one pond to a pond we made in our garden! We still made frogs! Today this is illegal.

My tadpoles collected from a pond in a jam jar never seemed to progress pass their back legs.....can't ever remember them ever turning into frogs.

My tadpoles collected from a pond in a jam jar never seemed to progress pass their back legs.....can't ever remember them ever turning into frogs.

I'm sure you tried! They ususually turn into tiny frogs! You got it wrong.

oh hula hoops. I thought it was the craze for women.

I think Mr Tulip has an ambition to be a woman.

I'm sure you tried! They ususually turn into tiny frogs! You got it wrong.

I know a frog when I see one...it may have legs but it doesn't have a tail for swimming with.......I had some water wings once, to help me to swim before I could swim. ;)

I know a frog when I see one...it may have legs but it doesn't have a tail for swimming with.......I had some water wings once, to help me to swim before I could swim. ;)

I successfully made frogs! I am not sure I destroyed the planet!

I solved a Rubik cube once, and then I could not be arsed with it.