House Price Crash Forum

Best Place For Car Insurance?

OnionTerror

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm with Hastings for the second year now. I was surprised when the renewal came in at quite a competitive price but I still went onto a comparison site and found I could get Hastings "Direct Premier" with some extra stuff (breakdown and something else) thrown in for the same price. I phoned them up and the nice woman had a fiddle and changed my renewal to match the spec of the Premier cover offered online, and even knock a bit more money off.

When I did a search for what they're like with a claim I found quite a few moans, but that also seemed to be the case for any of these bargain insurance companies.

HOLA444

Currently with Bell, but I've had a quote of around 250 quid lower with Hastings Direct...Anyone had any dealings with them, or are there any better alternatives?

All the majors Hastings , ers, Markerstudy , Aviva ,admiral have very similar processes and they all re insure with each other. So within reason just go with the cheapest quote

The quote depends on which segment they are chasing that week with various rating products which you are not aware of

HOLA445

I'm with Hastings for the second year now. I was surprised when the renewal came in at quite a competitive price but I still went onto a comparison site and found I could get Hastings "Direct Premier" with some extra stuff (breakdown and something else) thrown in for the same price. I phoned them up and the nice woman had a fiddle and changed my renewal to match the spec of the Premier cover offered online, and even knock a bit more money off.

When I did a search for what they're like with a claim I found quite a few moans, but that also seemed to be the case for any of these bargain insurance companies.

Markerstudy aka zenith are now one of the largest but because they don't spend millions on tv advertising they don't appear 'major'

All roads lead to Rome in that they all are supported by a syndicate at lloyds

HOLA446
HOLA447

I will certainly read reviews, but I almost never take them seriously (unless it's obvious there is a core issue). Almost nobody is going to take the time to write a review of a service when it's perfectly fine, but they will when they need to complain. It seems to me this is especially true for the more budget options as it seems people have this disconnect in their brain that if you pay less you won't get the same service.

This is especially true on somewhere like Tripadvisor, some of the reviews and complaints are frankly ridiculous.

HOLA448

Yep, I found them a bit of a pain.

I have no idea which is the best but I was recommended Liverpool Victoria for customer service / claims handling by a friend who was with the Post Office, the other party to the accident was with LV and she was so impressed with the way they sorted everything out she switched.

I have gone to LV for home insurance and for the small bit of contact that I have had with them they were excellent so I will be switching my car insurance to them too in a couple of years.

I have no problem in paying a few extra quid to avoid hassle.

HOLA449

Yes, LV seemed quite well thought of when I did a bit of poking around. I think they were about 50 quid more though. I drive quite carefully these days so I'm gambling on not having to make a claim. 208 quid for fully comp with roadside breakdown, windscreen, legal, courtesy car, 90 days EU cover, zero excess. Quite happy with that for my 15 year old Toyota miser-mobile.

Edit: forgot, if you like the cinema it's worth going through the Meerkat comparison site to get BOGOF cinema tickets for a year.

HOLA4410

Yep, I found them a bit of a pain.

I have no idea which is the best but I was recommended Liverpool Victoria for customer service / claims handling by a friend who was with the Post Office, the other party to the accident was with LV and she was so impressed with the way they sorted everything out she switched.

I have gone to LV for home insurance and for the small bit of contact that I have had with them they were excellent so I will be switching my car insurance to them too in a couple of years.

I have no problem in paying a few extra quid to avoid hassle.

For my Seat Leon Cupra, Bell sent me an automatic renewal (how presumptuous of them!)...I have six years no claims protected, and the quote/monthlys are more less exactly the same compared to last year's....Hastings has quoted me £479, although to the total excess has moved from 150 quid to 225...

HOLA4411

For my Seat Leon Cupra, Bell sent me an automatic renewal (how presumptuous of them!)...I have six years no claims protected, and the quote/monthlys are more less exactly the same compared to last year's....Hastings has quoted me £479, although to the total excess has moved from 150 quid to 225...

I obviously moved to "Masonic Mutual" after I started driving a giant champagne coloured turd!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Archived