House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Noisy Neighbours - What To Do?

Got woken up at seven this morning by my neighbours doing some DIY.

They've just moved in as well !!!

It's a couple of blue tits in a next box I recently installed on my balcony.

Tapping vigorously away on the box (testing for strength?) and making the hole larger.

Saw them taking some twigs in today so hopefully they'll be quiter now.

Brilliant. Is that 'your' tit etc.

Looks a bit bear. Is it a blue tit prison?

No, that's not my video. Just an example.

Saw them taking some moss and stuff in so hopefully they've decide it's OK and will concentrate on the nest building from now on.

Got woken up at seven this morning by my neighbours doing some DIY.

They've just moved in as well !!!

It's a couple of blue tits in a next box I recently installed on my balcony.

Tapping vigorously away on the box (testing for strength?) and making the hole larger.

Saw them taking some twigs in today so hopefully they'll be quiter now.

Perhaps you could give them one of these for the twigs

I wish I had neigbours like that, and I bet my neigbours do too! :blink:

Oh you lucky thing. Just discovered a pair of Robins going in and out of our shed with nesting material, hoping they will stay and produce. Fortunately no cats around here, only squirrels to worry about.

No, that's not my video. Just an example.

Saw them taking some moss and stuff in so hopefully they've decide it's OK and will concentrate on the nest building from now on.

Hope it all goes well - nest and eggs and babies!

My SIL has a nest box with a camera. Had a large family of blue tits in it last year. She kept them supplied with live mealworms, which went down a blast.

Just had a look inside my box....nothing much going on during the evening, the tapping noise and activity happened mainly in the mornings. There is now quite a bit of nesting material in there now, this has been built up over three weeks or so.

First time a blue tit has used the east facing box, before always used to be sparrows, but not so many around this year.....the sparrows have had three batches of eggs in one season. It became the survival of the fittest, the first born stronger chicks have been known to push the weak ones to the back of the box so they can't get fed by the parents and tread on them....the mother will drag any dead chicks out of the box.....the sparrows have fewer eggs, the tits I am led to believe have between 10 and 15 laid one a day.......no eggs yet.

Just had a look inside my box....nothing much going on during the evening, the tapping noise and activity happened mainly in the mornings. There is now quite a bit of nesting material in there now, this has been built up over three weeks or so.

:lol:

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long while.

Wasn't expecting it to be occupied so quickly. Might put one in for next season.

Here's a video of one tapping away.

Quality!

I think she said she wants to knock through and put an atrium in though..

I see it's an unfurnished let!

We've put nest boxes up in the past but they have never been occupied.

There are a couple of things that wake me.

One is a barn own in the lane that has caught some small mammal. The noise, against the normal background of total silence, is absolutely blood-curdling. I normally warn guests staying overnight about this. "If you hear what sounds like a small child crying in the night directly outside the window, it's just an owl".

That, and two dozen rooks and jackdaws in the garden at first light trying and succeeding to either eat the fat balls in the hanging feeder, or, to get at the fat cakes we hang in the trees. Absolute swines. A fiver's worth of food can vanish in minutes.

Opening the bathroom window sees a black carpet rise up from the garden accompanied by squawking noises.

Might try the nest boxes again this year.

One is a barn own in the lane that has caught some small mammal. The noise, against the normal background of total silence, is absolutely blood-curdling. I normally warn guests staying overnight about this. "If you hear what sounds like a small child crying in the night directly outside the window, it's just an owl".

That, and two dozen rooks and jackdaws in the garden at first light trying and succeeding to either eat the fat balls in the hanging feeder, or, to get at the fat cakes we hang in the trees. Absolute swines. A fiver's worth of food can vanish in minutes.

Opening the bathroom window sees a black carpet rise up from the garden accompanied by squawking noises.

I think what you heard was an owl catching a small child.

We have a family of jackdaws nesting in one of chimneys (thankfully the unused one). They used to do the same, you'd stick a fat ball up - and within half an hour one had flown down, used their claws to pull it up and would then hammer it to pieces while an expectant group gathered below.

Now we stick them in a plastic cage. They can peck at them and get their share, but not hammer them to pieces anymore.

We stopped putting fat balls out for the birds cos the squirrel was stealing them. We got a peanut feeder thing cos the bugger used to steal nets of nuts too.

If this annoys you then wait until the eggs hatch.

Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep.

Infernal squawking.

Wildlife is so annoying! I shall destroy it all, with this giant laser I just invented in the shed of Pin!

We have a family of jackdaws nesting in one of chimneys (thankfully the unused one). They used to do the same, you'd stick a fat ball up - and within half an hour one had flown down, used their claws to pull it up and would then hammer it to pieces while an expectant group gathered below.

Now we stick them in a plastic cage. They can peck at them and get their share, but not hammer them to pieces anymore.

We have green parakeets demolishing fat balls - even when they're in a cage they still manage pretty well. Often have one devouring, and five or six waiting their turn in a hawthorn tree nearby.

However they are messy buggers, which suits resident robins and blackbirds just fine - they will usually be underneath, hoovering up the crumbs. Woodpecker is another messy one - stab, stab, stab, with that beak, lots of crumbs falling for the hoovering up.

We stopped putting fat balls out for the birds cos the squirrel was stealing them. We got a peanut feeder thing cos the bugger used to steal nets of nuts too.

In previous years we used to hang up those half-coconut things, which I would refill with a lard and seed mix. However the squirrels would eventually find a way to gnaw through the string and make off with the whole thing.