House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

American Cops Just Killed More People In March Than The Uk Did In The Entire 20Th Century

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/american-cops-killed-people-month-march-uk-entire-20th-century/

A new report by ThinkProgress.com unearthed disturbing figures when it came to the number of police-related deaths that occurred in America in the month of March alone.

Just last month, in the 31 days of March, police in the United States killed more people than the UK did in the entire 20th century. In fact, it was twice as many; police in the UK only killed 52 people during that 100 year period.

According to the report by ThinkProgess, in March alone, 111 people died during police encounters — 36 more than the previous month. As in the past, numerous incidents were spurred by violent threats from suspects, and two officers were shot in Ferguson during a peaceful protest. However, the deaths follow a national pattern: suspects were mostly people of color, mentally ill, or both.

I think the stats must be for those shot dead by the police, as I would have thought the number killed by the UK police is higher if you include those killed by other means. I wonder if all the people killed where by a gun?

Although the stat is meaningless unless you know how many people where actually armed when the police opened fired.

US police are heavily militarized...a lot of police departments are made up of ex-military head cases who see most US citizens as 'the enemy' just as they would terrorists brandishing Uzi's in the 'stans.

The last quoted line doesnt help though. Between 1999 and 2011 nearly twice as many whites died at the hands of police as blacks...superficially, given whites are 5 times more plentiful than blacks, that would seem like blacks are victims of fatal force 2.5 times as much...but blacks have far more than 2.5 times the incarceration rate of whites, so adjusted for contact with the police, whites are more likely to be victims...despite all the race baiters attempting to frame it that way, I dont think its a racial issue. American police have a problem with aggression regardless.

Of course, its a racial discrimination issue certain 'crimes' blacks commit (ie drug dealing) are illegal, and other crimes whites commit (ie being thieving banksters) arent, but thats a matter for politicians, not cops.

Frankly, even as a white person I wouldnt want to be anywhere near an American cop having a bad day. That said, while British police don't seem to have the same casual brutality about them, I still wouldnt generally trust them, barely a day goes by without a news report of a cop abusing their position.

Surely any reasonable person can see that the 'victim' was actually running towards the scene of his next crime... :rolleyes:

The case will be interesting. What possible defence can the officer put forward.

1)Even if the guy managed to grab the taser, he dropped it almost immediately.

2)He was running away from the cop, not even looking in his direction. At no time could the cop legitimately claim his life was in danger.

3)Cop makes no attempt to chase after the guy, even though he doesn't so much run as waddle away. We're not exactly talking Usian Bolt here.clear.png

4)Tampering with evidence at a crime scene is a serious offence in it's own right.

I doubt we lost the cure for cancer with this guy. He was stupid to get into a situation like this in the first place. None of that justifies the cop's response. He's a psychopath who should, if he's lucky, spend the rest of his life in jail.

Has nothing to do with this report:

Report: Number Of Police Officers Killed Spikes In 2014
In total, 126 officers were killed in 2014. That's a 24 percent increase from 2013, when 102 officers were killed. According to the report, the number of police officers killed by firearms also rose by 56 percent — from 32 in 2013 to 50 in 2014.

Meanwhile, the number of UK police officers killed in the line of duty in 2014 = 0.

Has nothing to do with this report:

Report: Number Of Police Officers Killed Spikes In 2014

Meanwhile, the number of UK police officers killed in the line of duty in 2014 = 0.

stats are almost irrelevant.

The issue is the attitude cops have to the people.

Sure, they are facing some very nasty criminals, possibly armed, but, if you can get pulled for a broken tail light, and have a warrant for non payment of alimony, then just where does that lead to an officer fearing for his life?

Police in the UK are trained to "take it on the chin"...US police are trained to use all force necessary to get the upper hand...In the UK, this self same incident wouldnt have led to a tasering, it wouldnt have led to a shooting, but it would have led to a suspect decamped and a chase on foot, maybe lost.

Hey ho, it was nothing, catch him another day.

This cop had probably swat teamed a whole foods shop that very morning.

According to the report by ThinkProgess, in March alone, 111 people died during police encounters — 36 more than the previous month. As in the past, numerous incidents were spurred by violent threats from suspects, and two officers were shot in Ferguson during a peaceful protest. However, the deaths follow a national pattern: suspects were mostly people of color, mentally ill, or both.

Say what? :(

stats are almost irrelevant.

The issue is the attitude cops have to the people.

Sure, they are facing some very nasty criminals, possibly armed, but, if you can get pulled for a broken tail light, and have a warrant for non payment of alimony, then just where does that lead to an officer fearing for his life?

Police in the UK are trained to "take it on the chin"...US police are trained to use all force necessary to get the upper hand...In the UK, this self same incident wouldnt have led to a tasering, it wouldnt have led to a shooting, but it would have led to a suspect decamped and a chase on foot, maybe lost.

Hey ho, it was nothing, catch him another day.

This cop had probably swat teamed a whole foods shop that very morning.

Those stats are very relevant. A portion of the American population are at war with the police. NWA's F**k Da Police, calling for the murder of policemen, sold 3 million copies, and Dr Dre is now a billionaire based off this warmongering. Al Sharpton is a multi-millionaire based on his race-bating dog and pony show that constantly questions the legitimacy of the police.

These people want a war and are making good money off it, too. Honestly, I really don't care if they get shot in the process of waging that war.

Those stats are very relevant. A portion of the American population are at war with the police. NWA's F**k Da Police, calling for the murder of policemen, sold 3 million copies, and Dr Dre is now a billionaire based off this warmongering. Al Sharpton is a multi-millionaire based on his race-bating dog and pony show that constantly questions the legitimacy of the police.

These people want a war and are making good money off it, too. Honestly, I really don't care if they get shot in the process of waging that war.

This war hasnt come out of a vaccuum.

I would say that if the authorities treat a community with contempt,and do it for year after year, that community is likely to react.

plus planting evidence:

This war hasnt come out of a vaccuum.

I would say that if the authorities treat a community with contempt,and do it for year after year, that community is likely to react.

No, it didn't come out of vacuum -- more like a cash register.

Arguing that this is a just reaction to past abuses now that we're 50 years past the civil rights era, with affirmative action giving preference to black Americans in education and jobs, and a black president, is, frankly, just lame.

In the UK, this self same incident wouldnt have led to a tasering...

I think tasering in the UK is a lot more common than we're led to believe.

Saw a bloke on the pavement just outside the pub I was in struggle feebly and get zapped without a second thought.

Guns.

And if you were a policeman, you would be scared too. It is often fear that leads to pulling the trigger.

I always wonder what the effect of TV and film is, seeing in every single cop show it presented as perfectly normal and right, to go chasing after suspects firing your weapon,and then having to act exactly the opposite in real lfe

No, it didn't come out of vacuum -- more like a cash register.

Arguing that this is a just reaction to past abuses now that we're 50 years past the civil rights era, with affirmative action giving preference to black Americans in education and jobs, and a black president, is, frankly, just lame.

who mentioned "just" reaction.

I mentioned it was a reaction.

Yet, despite many states having the deterrent of the death penalty, the US still has the highest incareation rate in the First World by far, and the black minority is grossly overrepresented in the prison population.

And we have incidents like the one last Saturday where a man was shot 8 times in the back by a US cop who then planted a taser on the corpse.

The US police are becoming more militarised than many armies of other nations. Small communities are being 'encouraged' to take on ex-military vehicles totally unsuited to community police work.

I am under the impresson the US is descending fast into fascism, and I find it deeply worrying.

What's wrong with a "proper" cop helmet, truncheon, and a whistle on a chain?