House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longtermrenter

Food Ingredient Changes, Usually To Cheaper Filler Carp

Recently we had the creme egg fiasco where they use a cheaper chocolate than dairy milk (which was already carp and had been cheapened after the Kraft takeover)

I am a lover of Patak's Brinjal Pickle, an aubergine condiment that is divine with curry but also lovely in a cheese sarnie.

The pickle used to have large chunks of aubergine in it of about 1 to 2 cm I guess. Now it has been reduced to a smooth paste with no discernable vegetables in it.

A bit of research shows that Patak's were bought out by Associated British Foods in 2007. I wish I had an old jar to compare the ingredients but the pickle now seems much sweeter and I wonder if someone somewhere decided they could save X amount of money by using less aubergine. I also have the lime pickle. This lasts longer so I'm still on an old jar which I will keep. Going to look out to see if the next one has changed as well.

Also had a Topic the other day which seemed to taste different to what I remember. With changing packet sizes and cheaper ingredients these are all signs of hidden food inflation.

Anyone else got any similar stories of late?

If you buy foods with 'ingredients' in, what do you expect? Its your own fault.

If you buy an aubergine, you are sorted. No chance of subbing out some recontituted paste that way!

Isn't carp expensive?

If you buy foods with 'ingredients' in, what do you expect? Its your own fault.

If you buy an aubergine, you are sorted. No chance of subbing out some recontituted paste that way!

I understand that and actually 90% of what we eat is produced from raw ingredients in our kitchen. I just think they should be compelled to tell us when the ingredients change.

Do you build your cars from billet and sheet steel perchance?

OK, crap it is then

Ordure, or nightsoil will get through the "swear filter", as do I! For I am a man of "polite filth"! :blink:

Recently we had the creme egg fiasco where they use a cheaper chocolate than dairy milk (which was already carp and had been cheapened after the Kraft takeover)

I am a lover of Patak's Brinjal Pickle, an aubergine condiment that is divine with curry but also lovely in a cheese sarnie.

The pickle used to have large chunks of aubergine in it of about 1 to 2 cm I guess. Now it has been reduced to a smooth paste with no discernable vegetables in it.

A bit of research shows that Patak's were bought out by Associated British Foods in 2007. I wish I had an old jar to compare the ingredients but the pickle now seems much sweeter and I wonder if someone somewhere decided they could save X amount of money by using less aubergine. I also have the lime pickle. This lasts longer so I'm still on an old jar which I will keep. Going to look out to see if the next one has changed as well.

Also had a Topic the other day which seemed to taste different to what I remember. With changing packet sizes and cheaper ingredients these are all signs of hidden food inflation.

Anyone else got any similar stories of late?

I think a lot of food has done this. Basically I stop buying it when this happens. If more people did this then the food firms would have to row back.

I've moved to buy more fresh veg and meat, I may spend a bit more, but I'd rather eat quality food than carp.

I'm always very wary of a processed food that has "improved" on the label or somesuch word - It undoubtedly means they've managed to shave tuppence in production costs and if it is not to my liking (which it usually isn't) then I look for an alternative or even make my own - they have no loyalty to the consumer and I have absolutely no brand loyalty to them

People just don't look or care, most of the general public are stupid - there's a big enough market for them to play in to get away with churning out shite.

Can't recall how many times I've pointed out the crap that's in some of the things people buy that they do on autopilot without thinking or would rather not know what's in it or how it's made.

Not food, but cleaning branded products have noticed have changed active ingredients also add more air so that it comes out as foam.....will never buy again.

Also a face cream product the container exactly the same but the ingredients changed, cheaper and nasty changes......will no longer buy. Stuff bought in chemists beauty products are some of the biggest rip off products of all.

So basic bleach and vim and normal bog standard disinfection does just a good a job.

Normal moisturiser£1.50 just as effective as some £25 cream.....basic shampoo for 50p just as good and effective as some £3 bottle... IMO.

I wish I had an old jar to compare the ingredients but the pickle now seems much sweeter and I wonder if someone somewhere decided they could save X amount of money by using less aubergine.

Well this jar says 22%

patf10021_3_OI.jpg

Whereas this jar says 17%. Case closed.

LN_006333_BP_11.jpg

Ingredients

Sugar, Rapeseed Oil, Aubergines (17%), Water, Ground Spices (4.5%) ^Paprika, Spices, Coriander], Salt, Green Chillies (4%), Cracked MUSTARD Seed, Cracked Coriander Seed, Cracked Fenugreek Seed, Garlic Pur�e, Acid (Acetic Acid), MUSTARD PowderFor allergens, see ingredients in BOLD

I've noticed pre packed fresh fish getting smaller and smaller. A standard pack of Salmon fillets used to include 2 fillets which were maybe 3 or 4 inches across, lucky if they manage 2 these days. Same with fresh tuna, you used to get a fair old slap when pre packed, about half the size now for even more money.

Now, what really gets my goat is the sheer preponderence of ultra sweet sweet corn, tomatoes and strawberries etc sold at garden centres for people to grow for themselves.

We're being educated to think that sweetness, rather than flavour, is the sole defining characteristic that makes fruit and veg desirable.

Pink Lady apples are a case in point. Very pretty, very sugary, no depth or complexity of flavour and every single one an import.

Bollicks to supermarket apples. I'm growing my own rare and heritage varieties.

I've noticed pre packed fresh fish getting smaller and smaller. A standard pack of Salmon fillets used to include 2 fillets which were maybe 3 or 4 inches across, lucky if they manage 2 these days. Same with fresh tuna, you used to get a fair old slap when pre packed, about half the size now for even more money.

....and they have got the cheek to call it large portions.....

Is that official then? There have been people on here complaining about chocolate a lot recently. I know for the discounters the pennies add up, but I'd have thought for a market leader, the price saving would not be worth the risk. losing 1% of sales would be much worse than the benefits of saving 1% of costs.

Is that official then? There have been people on here complaining about chocolate a lot recently. I know for the discounters the penny'y add up, but I'd have thought for a market leader, the price saving would not be worth the risk. losing 1% of sales would be much worse than the benefits of saving 1% of costs.

Yes.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/kraft-foods-has-ruined-cadburys-creme-egg/

Rather than using Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate in this year's sticky treat, it's been swapped out for the chalkier, less-sweet chocolate you find in American confectionery products.

"It's no longer Dairy Milk. It's similar, but not exactly Dairy Milk. We tested the new one with consumers. It was found to be the best one for the Creme Egg, which is why we've used it this year," the company told The Sun newspaper.

"The Creme Egg has never been called the Cadbury's Dairy Milk Creme Egg. We have never played on the fact that Dairy Milk chocolate was used."

To add insult to tastebud-injury, the Creme Egg gift boxes now come one egg short of a half-dozen, with just five per packet, and totally missing the joke of there being a half-dozen regular eggs in a savoury egg carton. The company blames rising commodity prices

We're being educated to think that sweetness, rather than flavour, is the sole defining characteristic that makes fruit and veg desirable.

Pink Lady apples are a case in point. Very pretty, very sugary, no depth or complexity of flavour and every single one an import.

Bollicks to supermarket apples. I'm growing my own rare and heritage varieties.

Agree, the supermarket apples are not nice to eat......horrible in fact, you can't beat the taste of a freshly picked apple from the tree....warts and all...none of this nice to look at, great supermarket storage potential, each with its own sticker on it.....people should be buying taste not looks,people should be buying seasonal fruit and veg not think they can get anything and expect it to be flavoursome 12 months a year.

Agree, the supermarket apples are not nice to eat......horrible in fact, you can't beat the taste of a freshly picked apple from the tree....warts and all...none of this nice to look at, great supermarket storage potential, each with its own sticker on it.....people should be buying taste not looks,people should be buying seasonal fruit and veg not think they can get anything and expect it to be flavoursome 12 months a year.

Some apples actually need to be kept a while before they're eaten. It softens the acids and adds to the complexity of flavour - in fact some commercial ones improve quite a but if left in the fruit bowl for a week or two.

I have a Sturmer Pippin which is quite horrid eaten fresh off the tree but kept until late February they are great.

Some apples actually need to be kept a while before they're eaten. It softens the acids and adds to the complexity of flavour - in fact some commercial ones improve quite a but if left in the fruit bowl for a week or two.

I have a Sturmer Pippin which is quite horrid eaten fresh off the tree but kept until late February they are great.

Does depend on personal taste....soft, spongy and sweet or crisp, crunchy and tart......apples in the shop today either had to travel from the otherside of the world or been in long-term storage for many months.....now is the time to get last years crop out of the freezer to make a nice apple crumble.

As someone pointed out, the key is not to buy processed foods.

Making your own stuff is healthier and cheaper and doesn't take much time, just a little bit of organisation.

This applies to things like cleaning products as well; most branded products can be imitated with things like bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, soda crystals etc.

Shaving foam in a can is the biggest rip off ever IMO. A crap processed product marketed to people as an improvement on what went before, whilst actually being far inferior. A shaving brush costs about four pounds and will last years; a Palmolive shaving stick costs 50p and lasts six months, and you get a better shave than from foam in can.

Well this jar says 22%

Whereas this jar says 17%. Case closed.

Well done, thanks for sorting that. So cut the Aubergine by 22% and leave out the chilli. I bet they say it's due to market research and customer tastes. Pretty massive change. I'm aware both had oodles of sugar.

Going to make my own now. Bastards, it was actually quite nice before.

Other comments about apples and other fruit I totally agree with. My favourite apple is a Kentish one called Discovery. Has a pink tinge to the flesh sometimes. Really lovely. Good old russets are nice too.

I might write to Patak's. I'm sure that will make all the difference